Pain Management Community
thoracic pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

thoracic pain

my son had surgery on his chest three years ago to correct pectis excavatum.  He has had recurrent severe pain since that time.  We have been to three different Thoracic surgeons and had multiple visits to the emergency room.  There is nothing that seems to bring on the pain, it just hits him...sitting, walking, driving, and it incapacitates him most of the time.  He has been checked out for heart problems and had all sorts of tests done.  It all seems related to the chest surgery.  He doesn't want to live with pain meds.  The doctors have recommended that they go in a kill the nerve endings, but that seems too drastic to us.  He had cortisone shots in the area which deadened the pain but he could still feel it so we almost think it is something a little deeper than the chest wall.  Is there anything you can think of?
My husband has been going through many different treatments.  The trigger point injections actually gave him thrush and he lost 50 pounds extremely quick.  He has recovered from that but the doctors wanted to perform these nerve endings shots.  This procedure we found through patients at the same pain management facility said that it worked for a short term but when they started having increased pain, the doctor told them that it grows back.  He also had a bone cut out of his middle back and the doctor didn't tell them that they grow back.  It did according to new xrays.  We have found that many times, we are not informed.  Another example is when he had his lower back fusion.  Just before the surgery we found out the were putting an internal bone growth stimulator.  How do you ask questions about something like that?  You can't because you are not a medical professional.  I recommend that you do research on the net BUT BE CAREFUL of what you take in.  Use it only to gather potential questions before you allow any procedures.  I wish I would have done better then what I did before my husbands surgeries.  There are so many things we have found out and it would have changed how we did everything but I have no regrets of him having any of the surgeris.  I guess my point is to talk to as many people or read their stories so you have better questions.  I wish you the very best and I understand what you are going through.