Pain Management Community
upper abd./ rib pain/shortness of breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Hi, I have had upper (mostly left) abdominal pain along my rib with occasional shortness of breath for almost 2 years. I had about every test done but the dr. told me to go home and relax. I think it might be muscular but am not sure. It's hard to sleep on my left side, which of course is how I like to sleep... When I twist or lift something, it hurts and also feels sometimes like my upper abdomen has a balloon expanding in it. Could it be a problem, tear in the diaphragm? I have had a CT scan, chest x-ray, colonoscopy and endoscopy and all were ok. Also blood work, and abdominal ultrasound when the pain began. The chiropractor told me it is scar tissue and that massage would help, but that doesn't seem to work and I'm afraid might hurt. I even went to an acupuncturist and that did seem  to help a little. Right now it feels like a burning in the center of my chest. I have always been in good health, was a runner, but can't now. I have gained flab and about 15 lbs. because I can't do any kind of exercise but walk. Also stretching my abs hurts and I always feel the burn the next day. It all started with a stabbing pain in the upper left quadrant. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Hi Sue121416,

Welcome to our Pain Management Forum at MedHelp. I am sorry to hear about your long term abd pain.

You have had a battery of good medical diagnostic tests. If they are all negative it is very difficult to determine the source of your pain. I do not see an echocardiogram on your list. I would suggest that you request on to rule out any possible hidden heart functioning disorder. If it were a tear in your diaphragm it should have been revealed in your CT scan if they used contrast.

I suggest that you request a repeat of all the test you have had and possibly with a new CPC. It may be something that was missed initially or you just need a fresh set of eyes. It is also possible that scar tissue can cause this pain. I have scar tissue and it can be very painful.

It is most important to get this diagnosed. Sometimes physicians will perform a test once and if it is inconclusive the assume everything is normal. Often just a repeat of these tests can produce new information.

If your PCP is unwilling to repeat these exams or do additional testing than as I said above it is important to find a physician that will continue to investigate your pain. Remember that physicians work for us, just as plumber we hire to fix a leak.  

Good luck to you. Please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing. I will be interested in learning the out come of your further testing. Take Care, Tuck