Pain Management Community
urines to get pain meds.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

urines to get pain meds.

I take opana and oxycodone for my pain.  I guess the DEA is having ,y Doc test peoples urine to be sure they have the drugs in their system... well I do not have the opana in my system.  what can I do? Doesnt morphine come out as Opana er in urines?
yes, Opana is Morphine
Hi Supac,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you have found us on MedHelp.

I am a bit confused by your statement. Why do you beleive you do not have opana in your system? Did you take a drug screen that was negative? Did your PMP inform you that your drug screen was negative for opiates?

Opana can metabolize as morphine. Opana is oxymorphone, a semi-synthetic opioid derived from morphine and therefore very similar to morphine.

Hope this information helps answer your question.

Peace,
Tuck
I think the poster is saying that the drug is not in her system because she is not taking it.
If I am wrong please correct me.
Why are you NOT taking the medications prescribed to you?
that's exactly what she's saying and no morphine is oxymorphone not morpihine cuz its half synthetic!
I have been taking morphine er 50 mg twice a day, I have been having problems wih urinating, so Dr. switched to Opana er 10 MG.  Will either medications cause kidney diseases.  

I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question, however, since the original question posted here is over two years old, I suggest you post your question as a brand new question.  You will most likely get more responses that way rather than adding your question to the bottom of an old thread.

To post a new question, simply go to the Pain Management Forum and click on "Post a Question" - type your question and click submit.

You may also want to consider asking your pharmacist this question - they are very knowledgeable about possible side effects of medications - quite often much more so than the prescribing phsycians.

I hope you find the answer.
I've been taking Opana er 30mg 2x's daily and it's not showing in my urine either. Doc put me back on Opana after 2 wk. break...He wants to see in my urine in a week...NOT SURE WHAT I'M DOING WRONG?? However, waiting to see what pharmacy says...ANY COMMENTS APPRECIATED : )!!
For some reason I have been seeing a lot of people taking Opana and "failing" their urine screens because it's not showing up in their urine. I think it's the way it's being tested causing this problem simply because their is no way it's NOT in all of these patients urine. My pain management doctor uses the "instant" read urine specimen cups (the one with lines on it for a positive or negative result for myriad different opiates, etc. I failed my urine test (all negative for opiates that should be in my system) a couple of months ago. My doctor told me the cup must have been defective and left it at that. I'm very lucky to have a good relationship built on trust with my pain management doctor. This is a major problem as some patients are being "dismissed" from their pain management clinics, and suffering terribly as a result of this nonsense. My advice is to purchase your own urine test kit from any major pharmacy, leave it unopened, and if this happens, you have a chance to prove that the proper drugs are in your system (make sure the kit you buy tests for what you are taking, as some testing kits are different than others). I recommend this for everyone regardless of what medications you are taking. It's convenient for a doctor to "drop" a difficult (what the doctor may consider a difficult) patient with the words "I can no longer prescribe narcotics because you failed your urine drug screen". Consider it an insurance policy of a sort! Good Luck to you if this happens to you.
  P.S.--You can always offer to take another sample if your doctor uses the instant read type like my doctor does--and hope the second one you use isn't defective.  YIKES!!!
                                    Shinty
I have had this same problem, i take 40mg opana a day and was tested for it bout 20 hrs after taking it and the test was neg. I know everybody's body is different and if you have a high metabolism or drink a lot of water and even stress can have and affect on the drug showing on a test.