Parent IEP/Special Education Community User Group
IEP Confusion
About This Group:

A community for parents to ask questions regarding their child's IEP program and discuss options with other parents on how to get through the process. We are also all here to support each other when we all go through the challenges and miscommunications that can definitely occur when going through the IEP/Special Education process. Our children are a gift and should be treated that way.

Founded by Melissa0116 on October 15, 2009
27 members

IEP Confusion

My daughter has had an IEP since 1st grade. She repeated the 3rd grade again this year with the same special education teacher because the school only has one special education teacher for the third grade. Is this legal?  Are the special education teacher suppose to notify me that my daughter is still having trouble and advise me to call and set up an appointment to have her IEP modified to include other services such as SETTS and not wait to parent teacher night.  
1 Comment
   Yes, it is very common to have only one special ed teacher per grade level - especially at the elementary school level.   And, of course, you had the final say as to if she repeated the grade level or not.  
   Typically, an IEP is modified at the end of the school year for the upcoming school year.  As such, it would be unusual to modify it so early in the new school year.  And, I would imagine that since the teacher does know your daughter that she was more focused on helping the kids that she had never worked with before.  
   Hope this helps.
Sandman2 commented on Viagra and melanoma (...
Apr 11
fGchild joined this group
Welcome them!
Mar 13
abandonned commented on  'Inside Job...
Jan 31