Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
sons lips frequently turn blue?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

sons lips frequently turn blue?

I was wonder if someone could advise me on my son, He's 16months old now and apart from being a handful is usually well except his lips (nowhere else) turn blue from time to time and I'm getting concerned as it is happening more frequently now! it does happen when he is cold but I've also noticed it at other times.I also have a 5 year old but his lips never turn blue ?
When he was 8 weeks he was admitted to hospital with bronchiolitis and at the doctor who examined him found a murmur? but said it was nothing to be concerned about and needed no further tests.
Should i now be worried?
Please reply as i'm unsure what to do.
Turning blue usually means that blood circulation is not that great.  I'd have his little heart checked out again.  Good luck!
Blue lips can be a warning sign of many things, such as heart problem, anemia, lack of oxygen. I would definitely get him to the pediatrician.
I agree, I would get this checked out.  My nephew is in PICU for Bronchiolitis (2wks now) and when he was having trouble breathing his lips were blue.  It is a lack of oxygen.  Even if he does not have immediate problems breathing, he may in the future.  Better safe than sorry!
You mentioned the bronchitis - does he often have breathing concerns that maybe get diagnosed as a cold, etc.?  This happened to my daughter, and when she was sleeping, she would make a weezing sound.  After many trips to the ER just to be told it's nothing, I finally found a doctor that would help.  My daughter was diagnosed with Hyperactive Airway Trap Disease.  This is like another way of saying asthma, but I think they were reluctant to say asthma because for her age, there was not definitive way to test her for it.  She was on breathing treatments every day for the first two years of her life and is fine now.  The blue lips never came back either.
i have heard that is very serious...i wouldnt take a chance and call your pediatrician immediately! good luck!
My daughter is 14 months and this just started happening to her. People keep asking if she was cold, but we were indoors in the heat. Its very random and I cant pinpoint a trigger. I took her to the pediatrician and he had a chest x-ray done and also some bloodwork to test her methaglobin (SP?). We are waiting for results. My husband was born with a heart defect, so Im worried! Have you found anything out about your son?
Have you heard the results of your daughter's tests?  We are having the same thing with our 14 month old daughter.  She had an echocardiogram just yesterday.  No blood work yet. . .would be very interested to hear about your results.
We are having the same problem with our 17 month old as well. I would love to hear what your out come is. We go on Thursday for our first apt.  I hate the unknown, the sitting back woundering if it's something or nothing at all.
The first time it happen he had a fever. I told my doctor and she told it was noting not to worry.  Now it's been happening just about every day.  The thing that is strange to me is he acts fine while it is happening.
Please let me know what happens.
if that was my daughter, id be going to emergency dept now. dont wait...

its not normal, it has to be looked into.. cold or not is irrellivant.
Hello Im having the same problem also. My daycare called one day and said my 18mont olds lips turned blue, hands and feet were cold. It lasted about 10 mins and then it cleared with them putting more clothes on him. Made a doc apt for the next day and they said to put more clothes on him. SO I DID!!  Next day it was over 20 mins till it cleared and I took him to the ER. They looked at me like I was crazy because he was himself running around having a good time. They did all the bloodwork and and EKG. They couldnt find anything. Its very scarey. He went outside for 10 mins the other day and it was cold out. His lips turned blue and I ended up putting fleece hoodie on him on top of his long sleeve onsie and a long shirt too. I still dont understand how they would still turn blue in a warm room that just doesnt make any sense. He has a doc apt Tuesday and Im going to keep on with the docs that Im not comfortable with "just putting more clothes on him"!!
It's weird that I am reading so many people having this problem with their children. I am of course in the same boat as many of you. I come from a pretty healthy family background with so strange health issues for me or my wife. But a few weeks a go, my wife noticed that our son was turning blue in the morning (his lips, nail beds, hands, etc). At one point he was very sick with a temp, diarrhea, etc. Also note that my child is just over one and has allergies and is on Pulmicort and Xeopenex. Anyways, we took him to Toledo Children's Hospital, where he stayed overnight and they ran many blood tests (twice), x-rays on his heart, ecogram, the whole nine yards. The next day he looked and "sounded" better and was given a clean bill of health. Heart was in fantastic condition, etc. No weird blood signs, nothing. Now, today, my wife called me at work and told me that my 1 year old is/was turning blue again. Although this time, she said he was very happy, playing, etc, just like any other day. So now we are stumped. We know his heart is ok and we know his blood is fine. So now what is it? Mold? Carbon Monoxide? We are stumped.
I just came from the pediatrician for the same thing! She said to make sure the blue isn't in the mouth ( tongue etc.) call back and we'll do blood work & an EKG. My daughter is 16 months and this has been happening for months I guess the doc was actually listening when I talked this time. My daughter is the same as many playing and acting normal when I notice the blue, usually seems to be in the morning. I thought of mold too, I think we're all just looking for an answer.
Well, he was slightly blue this morning in the lips and on his hands a bit. My wife ran him to his doctor so she could take a look at it. She is sending us to a blood specialist and we will go from there. She is could be a lack of Vitamin C? Doesn't make sense, but .... we will see. I will keep you all posted with what happens in the next week or so.
My sons did that for a brief time I had him tested for everything he was admitted into the hospital while they tested nothing it's been almost 4 years but you should have the children checked because it can mean "blue baby syndrome" which is really dangerous and other things as well.  Good luck

wow, its so unreal that sooo many people are having this problem with there kids, my son who was born 12 weeks premature, 1 and a half pounds never had anything like this, but my daughter who was born full term is. shes 22 months old and has been having this problem since april... we are just waiting for the pediatrician to call us with an appointment so she can have some tests done, her lips will turn blue even if its really hot. its so random
My sons lips turn blue when he wakes up, first thing in the morning.   Its NOT daily, its a random times, and has occurred roughly about 7-10 times that i can recall.   Just wondering if anyone found anything out after blood tests, and heart tests.  I'm nervous now.....    He had issues when he was born where he didn't have enough oxygen and had to go under the "tank"  thing for 24 + hours, so i'm just wondering if that has anything to do with it.     He woke up this morning with REALLY blue lips, and they were frozen to the touch.   And usually in the past its gone away within 15 minutes or so, but today, it took over about 40 minutes.  
We just adopted an 18 month old girl.  She has been with us only 2 days now.  This morning when I went to wash her face after breakfast, I noticed her lips were purple.  I called my husband in and they were purple/blue.  Her hands and feet were also very cold, although our other daughter, myself and husband were not cold.  After about 10 minutes, her lips went back to their normal colour.  I have noticed she is sensitive to cold after a bath etc.  Should I be concerned?  
Same thing is happening to my daughter... 18 mos. Her lips become bluish in color, it has happend 2-3 times within the past 2 months. She has no sign of distress and is acting totally normal. I took her to the DR last month because of it. At the time she was taking Zyrtec for a cold. DR checked her breathing and oxygen level, said all was fine & said the bluish lips were a side effect from the zyrtec. We stopped giving the zyrtec over a month ago....but it has happed again today. I have a call in to her Dr today, waiting to hear back
We went to Dr today, we have been referred to pediatric cardiologist, we have an appt for Jan 23. Hope to get some sort of explaination.
Im absolutly amazed at how many other parents are going thru the same thing. My 12m old started this last week on his birthday. he woke up & his lips were blue but he was happy, playing, talking..etc & I was in panic but it cleared up withing 10-20 min. it has happened 5 times at ramdom since with in the past 2 weeks. I took him & they checked his o2 & they told me not to think anything of it. she agreed to send me to a cardiologist next week for an echo. I work for anesthesiaologist & they were freaking out about having him seen & then they tell me not to think anything of it.  I would love to hear about someothers results.
My daughter is 22 months and her lips have been occasionally turning blue as well, It seems to corelate when she is cold I could be wrong.  It has been happening about 1-2x a week for the past few months.  She is going for a Eco soon.  She has occasional sweats at night as well, where her hair is very wet.  I am very worried.  My naturopathic doctor seems to think it has something to do with her pituatary gland being taxed from growth spurts and gave me some pills.  I wonder if he is right, it seems like everyone on here child ages in the 12month -2 or so age where growth spurts at there greatest???
My daughter, who is 16 months, just had an episode today right after her nap where her lips were blue and so were her nails and toes.  She's been running a fever of 102 since last night and she has a runny nose.  We called our pediatrician immediately and his first inclination was that it may be the well water that we have.  We live in a somewhat rural area so we have our own well.  I didn't much care for that answer, I'm not sure how well water would make my daughter's lips, fingers, and toes blue so we took her to the E.R.  After a few tests, including a test for a Urinary Tract Infection, the doctor decided that she was just "shunting" her blood to her core away from her extremities, which is what caused her to turn blue.  I asked about a potential heart issue, but he said he didn't hear a murmur so there was nothing to be concerned about.  Also, he said that "most" babies who have heart issues are born with them, they do not just develop.  I'm still not comfortable with this diagnosis.  I'm not sure what I want to hear, but it just seems there has to be more to it.  After reading everyone's entries, I think my worries may be confirmed.  PLEASE, if anyone else has any follow ups with their children, ANY answers, post them.  I promise to do the same!
Grandson 17 mos old, same thing for last 4-6 months.  Took him to doc 10 days ago, chest x-ray, no conclusive results, said he was crying too much for good test.  ekg, no results yet.  Reading here this is very common.  Can't understand why no docs have heard of it before.  If just these posts here think of how many others out there. Seems to follow in 12-24 mon olds.  Surely there are answers.  Please anyone who got results above reply back as to test outcomes.
My daughter is almost 15 mo and this has been happening to her for some time.  My pediatricians recommended me to check her nails and toes too when her lips turn blue, and to squeeze her fingers, and they should turn white under the nail bed, and then pink right back up again.  They said if it doesn't pink back up, then to call back and have her seen.  At this point though I feel as though it's happening more and more frequently, and I would like to know why!  Her lips, fingers, and feed turn blue-ish at least one to two times per day.  Most often we notice it when she wakes up, either in the morning or from a nap.  She has had no other health problems at all, although does seem to get congested more than I'd like.  The MD suggested maybe it's because she is so fair that it's more noticable in her than other kids (very fair skin, red hair, etc.), but I'm not sure I'm buying that either!  I would love to hear if anyone gets any answers on this that seem to make sense!  
HI, I have just got on this web site I have a 15 month old girl who just started this a few days ago, i noticed her lips were blue when she was playing with her toys and I first just thought she was cold so i turned the heat up in the house slightly and she went back to normal, then later that day when she woke up form her nap her lips were blue again but she was breathing ok and acting normal.  the next day when she woke up in the morning her lips, toes and finger where all purple, her face was pale and she was kind of lathargic.  I rushed her to the ER and we waited for 8 hours.  when we were finally seen she was back to normal and the doctor told me I keep it too cold in the house and sent me home, she also has an ear infection and a slight fever.  I was wondering if i should get her checked out further.  nothing in her enviornment has changed and it was around 75 degrees in my house so I am still a little concerned.
Wow I am glad to hear we are not the only ones but it is discouraging to see no one has been given any answers!  My 13 month old son has been turning blue, generally he's sitting in his booster at the table.  A couple of times he threw up too so we were told he was probably holding his breath trying not to throw up... but it's been happening more frequently and not associated with upset tummy any more.  I have been considering buying an oximeter so I can check his O2 when it happens and see if he's actually low!
i also have a 13 month old son whos lips/nails have been turning blue...wether cold or not. i think the fact it seems to be a common problem is more comforting than troubling, maybe its normal? its a little wierd that not one dr can pinpoint the problem... it may sound stupid but i noticed my little brother gets blue when hes cold say after a bath, and hes really skinny..sounds funny but i also have twins and my girl is quite chubby and my boy whos been turning blue is much more lean...maybe that has something to do with it? i dunno, shot in the dark :(
my grandaughter went blue and stopped breathing just as we came out of the doctors diagnosed with a virus, we ran back in and he gave her mouth to mouth and called for an ambulance. after anight in hospital and a blood test she was discharged with viril gastroenteritis, and an explanation that what happened may be how her body reacts to a virus. our GP is getting us a second opinion on 14th April has anyone else heard of anything that might give us some answers?
the past couple of days i have noticed that my son's lips were blue. I took him to the ER and they sent us home saying they couldn't find anything wrong with him but to follow up with his doctor. I just got back from the doctors and all she could tell me was that it is common for pale children to turn blue. she said something about his blood vessels being constricted. I'm just wondering is that really normal?
Most of you have said that this cyanosis (Blue spells) usually happen when the child first wakes up. Have any of you ever considered sleep apnea. I just feel that it might be something worth looking into. Ask your Ped to refer you to a pulmonologist. Demand that your children get a sleep study. Sleep Apnea may or may not be the problem but it's worth looking into. If for anything just to rule it out since we all know it can be a life threatening condition
It is amazing how many have these same symptoms...My daughter started have blue spells( blue lips, chin, Ice cold blue/purple hands and toes)... we went for the first echo since she was so young the first one they did not find anything 16 months... we went back a year later & they did another echo and thought she had a heart issue Bilaterl Superior Vena Cava which she went thru a heart cath to close the extra path.. well when they went in they found her pulmanary vein and arteries ran different... This is not the cause of the spells.... and was told it is acrocyanosis.. which I should not worry.. Since we live in MN a colder climate and she is fair skinned it is more noticeable.. I disagree since she never has a spell when she is cold outside.. It is normally happening throughout today..it a warm house.. but us happening more after she has eaten...We are trying Prevacid to see if this happens less often... I truely want an answer to this .... problem too... frustrated
This really is astounding.  We have noticed the same thing in the last couple of weeks in our 17 month old.  She has been throwing up this week and has had a runny nose.  It seems as though maybe her lips turn blue after she eats?  I'll try to watch more closely.  I agree, that even though it has been cold here in NJ it's not especially cold inside the house which is where we notice this.  My husband's guess is that she is having trouble breathing while she is eating which causes a slight loss of oxygen.  When she was 3 months old she had an echo for an unrelated issue (Cutis Marmorata Telangetica Congenita sp?) and her heart was fine so my assumption is that is still the case.  Very interesting that so many people have the same issue in children of similar ages.  I am wondering if they all drank the same formula or some other environmental factor is at work...
I cannot believe all of these posts! In a way, I finally feel validated to know we aren't the only ones going through this. My 4 year old Daughter has blue spells where her lips turn blue as well, and it's happening more often. It does happen when she's cold, but also when she's not. It happens when she's sick, but also when she's not. The last time I took her to the doctor for a terrible flu with diarrhea and vomiting, he said it was her body sending more blood to her gut due to the illness. I accepted his explanation at the time, but in retrospect, I realize that doesn't explain all the other times it happens unrelated to being cold or ill. She was prematue at birth and was in the hospital for three months, so she was worked up for Cardiac issues at great length and at that time her heart was fine. And when she has these spells, she's not lethargic or exhibitng any signs of respiratory destress. It's just blue lips on a very fair, blonde little girl and it's disturbing to see.
     I have decided to take matters into my own hands and order a portable pediatric pulse oximiter (easy to find if you Google it). The problem is, her lips are never blue anymore by the time I take her to the doctor. The only way to know if her oxygenation levels ar really affected during these blue spells is to get a reading with a puse oximeter when it's happening. They're not that expensive. I found some as low as $68.00. I'm going to ask her pediatrician to prescribe one first, so insurance will pay for it, but if he won't, I'm going to buy one myself. It's the only way I can put my mind at ease if I can't get a real answer from our doctor. I know about all of this because I am a Cardiac Cath Lab technologist myself. If the pulse oximeter reads fine, and her oygen levels are normal during a blue spell, I will not be so worried.
I am very relieved to know that I am not the only one...my 15 month old son has been doing this (becoming cyanotic)  for about 6 months but it has been getting more frequent.  We finally have an appt with the cardiologist for an echo and we are getting some blood work done.  He is fair (skin and hair) but is not thin by any stretch of the imagination (he is a tank)...when he has these spells they last for about 30 minutes, we first noticed them at night...he did not sleep thru the night for many many months...it wasnt until we put a heater in his room and over dressed him (in my mind) that he finally started to sleep thru the night.  then he started to wake up blue...now he can only have a quick 5 minute bath before he turns blue (lips, fingers, toes) he does it periodically thruout the day however he is usually happy and running around there does not seem to be a rhyme or reason.  I am an ICU nurse and I cant seem to figure it out...it just does not seem to add up.  

I would be curious if anyone got any answers...I did like the idea of sleep apnea (not sure why I did not look into that myself)
my son is turning 4 and has suffered with tonsilitis and febrile convulsions since he was 6 mths old. his body flushes blue on a regular basis for no reason at all. after many doc and peditrican apts we have found out our son has hypertrophy of the ventricals and a murmur. we think its because of the many temps and infections he has had due to his tonsils. i just gave him a bath today and his arms and face flushed blue. it took me a long time to find out what was wrong with him and i say to you as a parent if you know your child isnt well keep pushing to find out whats wrong. the docs thought i was an overprotective mum but i knew it wasnt right for him to turn blue.
I had this with my daughter now 4 almost 5, hands and feet would also turn blue, it was quite frightening to see.

She has a hole in her heart, where her oxygen depleted blood gets mixed in with the oxygen rich blood - a common heart problem that has no cause - ie my pregnancy was healthy, I am a non-smoker, non-drinker etc and followed the rules of pregnancy to the letter so i was upset to find she had a hole in her little heart, but as I said this is a fairly common problem.

Whenever she was over exicted or involved in activities which would elevate her heart rate she would turn blue around the lips and in the extremities.  This was simply a matter of the heart beating faster, pumping the oxygen depleted blood around her body, and we were simply told in these times to try and calm her down a bit.  We have been monitered regularly by a cardiologist, and have regular scans of her heart - this hole can cover over by itself, and if it does not happen by age five, they give the child surgery where they insert a little umbella like plug over the hole.  They do not die from this condition, but it needs to be addressed as the blood leaking into the opposite side of the heart can cause one side of it to enlarge, making the child susceptable to problems such as arythmia(sorry medical spelling not that great) and other heart related problems in adult hood.  

Generally if you have the same condition they will get you to monitor it, teach you to manage the condition with your child as they regularly check the condition.  If it has not cleared up by around 5 years of age they will suggest surgery.  As it stands my little one will be receiving surgery later this year.

Hope this helps and gives you a direction to point your doctor in to check off this list.....

Good luck everyone.

Kelly
I cannot believe how many other posts there are about this.  My 14 month old daughter started with her lips turning blue a couple weeks ago during trick or treat when it was a little cold.  Actually it has happened prior to this when she gets out of the bathtub but I asked the dr about this and she said it was just due to the temperature change and not to worry.  However it is now happpening when she cries hard.  My doctor told me to watch to see if the inside of her mouth also turns blue but just the lips is disconcerting.  I requested that she be seen even though they are trying to say the hole in her heart resolved itself.  I do not remember being told this ever.  I only remember seeing the scan and the hole and the blood flowing in a direction it should not be.  That was the last I heard of it when the doctor said it would heal itself or not be a problem.  Now this!  I want to know what could be happening to my baby girl.  My 4 yr old son never turned blue in the lips not even when he is cold.  I am not going to let this rest until every test is complete and negative or normal.
I am married to an ER Doctor. I also have a 16 month old daughter who' s lips have been turning blue for the past two months. My husband assures me nothing is wrong. It is during and after she eats. Is this the case with anyone else?
My husband is a wonderful physician and I do trust his training, however I am horribly worried.

I would love to know if any child was actually diagnosed with anything.
was just reading and my daughter who is 11 months going on 12 months on 30th december we have just started noticeing her lips turning blue she was a premmie born at 27 weeks gestation and was born with the hole in the heart but we had a check up 6 months ago and the heart specialist said she still had a small hole but it should be ok .now im a bit concearned after reading all these she has also been hospitalized at 11 weeks old with bronculitus and went on a treatment for 5 months she just finished in september but i know have an appointment on wednesday to have her checked again
thanks kristy
I feel better knowing that my little girl isn't the only one. My daughter is 23 months old and our daycare director told us today that she turned blue around her mouth and on the tips of her fingers and that it happens several times a day for the past couple of weeks. My husband and I are both paramedics so I would like to think we would notice if our child was cyanotic, but we've never seen her change colors. We were told that she doesn't act any differently when she turns blue, continues playing or doing whatever she's doing and doesn't appear in any distress. That being said, it scared me to death to hear this news and we are doctor bound tomorrow. I would love to hear from some of you who have had echocardiograms and blood work.
My two and a half year old daughter had these blue spells when she was about a 18mths old. Like everyone else, this seemed to happen when she was ill or cold, but also when she was well and warm - sometimes after eating.
Her heart is fine, her blood work is fine - so no reason for this to happen.
It stopped for about 9 months and last night, while I was changing her nappy, her lips turned blue again. She has a cold. Brought her to the doctor and he said these synaptic episodes are nothing to worry about... ha!
This morning, taking her out of her car seat, I noticed her lips were blue again! They stayed blue for approximately 15mins. I find it all very worrying but am somewhat calmed by the amount of parents going through the same thing.
I find that unless she turns blue while I'm actually WITH the doctor, that they look at me as though I am just some over protective parent.
I am taking her back to the doctor this afternoon as I am so worried... will let you know how I get on.
My son, a twin and youngest of 6, got blue lips yesterday after eating breakfast. Like most of your children's ages he is 19 months.  He has a heart murmur.  One thing that has not been been mentioned other than sleep apnia (apnea) is possible night terrors.  He began having them one year ago this month. I've always questioned if they are really night terrors or could they be some kind of seizure. I did take him to the ER and he was kept over night for observaion with no further signs. They took chest xrays, several blood tests, and monitored his blood oxygen levels.  Nothing. After eating again tonight his lips turned a lighter shade of blue. I explain the first episode as it looked like he had sucked on a purple popcicle. We will follow up with the pediatrician on Monday but I am going to push for more tests and have his heart checked again. Also, I am curious about possible seizures.  Oh, he is fair skinned, very light blond hair, and thin.  They were born at 36 wks and healthy.  

I will try to post any news I get.  I want to help figure this out!
I am following up as I said I would.  My son is doing well and the met hemoglobin came back negative.  The pediatrician feels that his lips may have turned blue because of the virus he had and at the time may have had low blood oxygen levels but it bounced back quickly.  We are over due for his cardio check up so that will take place on the 18th.  If something show up in that I will write more.  As for now, I am thankful for all the prayers from friends and family.  I put my children in Gods hands and know He will provide us with answers if there is anything.  Blessings!
Our third and youngest, who is 22 month old, is also experiencing these symptoms; in the am, after naps and even at the dinner table while eating.  Most of the time it happens when he is otherwise fine; a couple times when he has had a low grade fever.  He was born with a kidney issue (only one working kidney) -- we believe unrelated -- but at that time there was mention of hearing a heart murmur a few days after birth; but his pediatrician did not hear it two weeks later.  I (the mom) have a heart murmur, but have never had any adverse affects from it.  Charlie's blue episodes generally go away pretty quickly.  Had a conversation tonight with a friend's mom and sister who are both nurses who recommended having it checked out right away.  We are taking him in to the Sat. am walk-in clinic at his pedicatrians tomorrow.  Definitely feeling the need to have this checked out more thoroughly.  I will let the group know what we learn as well.  Take care all!
this is astonishing!  I think I can offer some suggestions here to all of you who are obviously in my boat!  My 20 month-old daughter has had a flu-like virus since last week, with runny nose, occasional vomitting, lots of diarrhea.  Spoke to the doc several times over this last week (my 5 year old son simultaneously has Coxsackie! totally off season, too.)  We finally brought them into the pediatrician on Monday because my daugther started with these "blue" episodes on Sunday afternoon...blue lips/nose, hands and feet, also ice cold to the touch.  She, like my husband and son, typically has very warm hands and feet, regardless of the temperature of our home.  We were sent directly to the hospital because her capillary refill time was increased (when you pinch the finger and it turns white, the color should return in 2 seconds, not the 4-5 seconds we were seeing while she was blue.)  The doc also wanted to evaluate for possible viral pneumonia and dehydration.  After 5 hours of blood tests, chest x-rays, IV fluids, she got a clean bill of health and off we went.  The blue returned again yesterday, and again today.  I was referred to a pediatric cardiologist who will see us tomorrow.  After a long conversation with her and some of my own research, one possibility is a strain on the pulmonary artery that may be a congenital defect that has now been exacerbated by her increasing age/weight, activity, and then couple that with this virus that could be going after her pulmonary system.  The possibility of a few other congenital heart defects are also there, but we'll hopefully be able to rule them out after the EKG and Echo tomorrow.  For now, I have noticed that if she stays more calm, the blue tends to go away, so that does scare me that it may be more than meets the eye.  I'm also going to insist on another chest x-ray to be sure the pneumonia just wasn't apparent, yet.
There's my story...to add to the 2 dozen others that seem so similar!
Sorry just posted comment and pressed the wrong button. My son is nearly 7yrs and was an extreme breath holder (4 x a day to the point of passing out with several fits). He would go completely blue each time and now still gets very blue lips when he is cold. My daughter has a small hole in her heart and my husband has a heart murmur so we are about to get my son checked out in case he has one too, which may be contributing to his blueness and current tiredness. Out of interest all the doctors said breath holding was a behavioural thing (he was 6mths old when it started and did not know how to act behaviourally). We browsed the internet and found that low iron levels increased breath holds. We told our GP and he started iron supplements as he was low in iron. He went from having 4 breath holds every day to about 1-2 a day, so my belief is that it must be physiological. His blueness did decrease but please get your child checked before supplementing iron as it is very dangerous if given when not needed. We are also checking out if he is Coeliac as he suffers with nausea a lot. Hope this is of some help
Regards
Sue
Just an addition, went to the GP with my son and he is having his Ferritin levels checked as sometimes their iron levels are OK but Ferritin is there stored iron and if this is very low it can cause a lot of the symptoms my son has. He is also going for an echocardiogram just to check whether he has a patent foramen ovale (hole in the heart ) like his sister, Interestingly though my daughter doesn't go blue.
Will let you know the outcome.
Sue
Two of my children have these problems.  One of them has pediatric hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a murmur & a hole in her heart.  The other is anemic.  Just some things to look into for you guys.  Both can be extremely serious so I would not let your pedi blow you off.
I too am having the same problem with my 14 month old son. His lips turn blue, hands turn blue, and his hands and feet are ice cold. This is happening when he is inside. I have taken him to the ER twice and the second time they kept him overnight for observation. They did xrays, ecg, and tons of blood tests, and still found nothing. His pediatrician just put in a referral to a rheumatologist, so we will go from there. It seems like there are alot of people on her with the same things going on. Can't help but wonder why no one has any answers for us. My son was drinking good start protect plus when he was on formula and now drinks soy milk. Just wondering if we all have that in common.
Just a follow up...we had my daughter evaluated by a pediatric cardiologist.  she spent 2 hours with us, full EKG and echo.  she spent 20 min doing the echo b/c she couldn't find anything.  i have a background in Biology/Chemistry, so i was following and discussing with her everything she was seeing.  End of the day, my daughter's heart is strong as a horse!  All blood work is normal, no dehydration, no anemia, sugar is normal.  This all started coincidentally when she came down with a stomach virus.  however, the virus has passed and she is still having occasional episodes.  my concern was that the virus may have antagonized a pre-existing, non-apparent cardiac issue, but that is not the case.  one thing i just saw, though, was the post about soy milk.  my daughter doesn't complain of stomach problems, but she has gone through so many boughts of diarhea (diarrhea) that i was wondering if she was lactose intolerant.  maybe something to consider evaluating for.  all in all, she hasn't missed a beat and the blue is more of a concern to me.  it doesn't affect her in any way.  i was in research for a few years, and i can tell you if there doesn't seem to be money to be made or an issue that is causing fatality, no one is concerned.  i'm sure that's why no one has researched what causes these episodes of blue.  
I have a 10 year old who has had blue lips/very pale skin for years. We learned he had asthma last year after a severe asthma attack that occurred out of the blue (no pun intended). He is treated for asthma with daily medications and a rescue inhaler. Recently his nose gets really white with blue undertones, but the rest of his face is a normal color pink. It is the strangest looking thing ever! These episodes last between 15 and 30 minutes. The asthma specialist thinks it could be related but isn't sure. I am going to request a work up from our primary care. I'll keep you posted.
My son is almost 11 months old and I have noticed his lips turn a light shade of blue a handful of times. He was full-term and had no health concerns. He weighs 26 lbs now, so I thought that maybe it could have something to do with his weight, but so many other parents are saying their children are thin and have the same problem. He has only been sick twice and neither time was terrible, so I can't imagine it could have anything to do with that. The times I have noticed his lips dicolored, he was either playing on the floor, or I was changing his diaper. It only seems to last for a minute or two, but I do notice that his little hands are freezing during the episode. I have not seen a discoloration on fingers, toes, etc. I have been jotting down info from other people's post and I am going to research on my own. It is sad to hear how the doctors gave such easy, unresearched diagnosis to these children. How do some of these doctors sleep at night?
My son is 13 months old and his lips turned blue twice today for a short period of time.  As with most of the others in this post, his hands were freezing.  He's been running a low to mid grade (99-102) fever all day.  We saw the doctor this morning, but the doctor said his lungs were clear and looked ok.  She did say that he had a virus (mouth, hand and foot...whatever that is), but said to control the fever and he would be fine.  Of course the blue lips happened later after the doctor’s office was closed.  Both our mothers are Registered Nurses and had never heard of it.  After reading these blogs, I'm just going to monitor him since most went to the ER and nothing was wrong.  He seems fine other than being fussy and is not having any difficulty breathing.  Its just scary because a lack of oxygen was the first thing that came to mind.  Obviously if it continues, I'll seek further explanation.  
I am not a dr. so the following is not medical advice, but a history of observation.  

I have the blue-lip condition too as an adult and my 17 mo. old son gets blue lips like me and like you all describe above. He also chokes when drinking water frequently and his whole face gets a red/purple mask appearance very rapidly when coughing.

My mom was always noting my blue lips growing up - It confused her that I would tare jackets off and claim to be really hot meanwhile have blueish lips. My son also tears off hats outdoors unless it's below 0 and won't keep socks on even though his feet feel cold to me.

Here's a few collected observations that I have made along the way.

I do not retain much water (rarely feel thirsty and operate on lower concentration especially when I try to drink over a certain threshold)
(so does my son)

Therefore, I do not sweat that readily
(neither does my son even with low fevers)

As a result (or perhaps the cause of the above traits?) my shunt vessels play a larger role in heating and cooling my system than other people who sweat more readily. For example: when I'm cold (especially wet cold) my core body gets greedy and steals blood from superficial vessels until adequately warmed. Sometimes it isn't until I feel overly hot that color will return back to my lips face and warmth to my hands/feet. I don't believe that I have reynoids (sp?) but I do experience other possibly-related circulation issues such as migraines, caffein sensitivity, lower than average blood preassure for age, and lower H2O retention.

Incidentally, just from the outer physiological perspective, I have a yellower (more olive) complexion than my husband who is ruddy or rosy). We both have predominantly caucasian backgrounds, but there is a wee bit of Spanish in my ancestry so the same color blue stands out much more dramatically on my face than his. It just looks more out of place and alarming because of how color contrast works. Sorry if this seems far fetched, I am a full-time professional artist - so these things stand out to me.

So back to health - My son also has been on the asthma watch with reactive airways during one bad cold and a case of croup.  I take this very seriously. Like many of your kiddos, he still gets blue-looking lips when his O2 levels are nice and high.  I found that when he was having the worst trouble breathing through his cold, his lips weren't blue but pale - like his face. My advice is: be most concerned for changes in appearance that are irregular for your particular child rather than compare to a sibling or neighbor kid.

Some possible factors to consider
Sometimes a fresh pee is enough to change body temp as the body no longer has to heat as much fluid in the bladder.  Having to pee can make you feel cold.
Sometimes being in a wet diaper too long ( e.g. when they wake up in morning) means they can get chilled from damp clothes. Wet cold chills you deeper especially when you're not moving - so again, when kids are sleeping. Washing hands and face with any temp water can leave lips looking blue - even after being thoroughly dried.

My son's hands and feet also get frosty like mine indoors all the time, and his core runs tympanic (ave. 95.8 - 96.0 F) But running on a colder temp runs in my family as does running on lower hydration levels. As for our health, all of my fam members who have these symptoms have been division 1 collegiate athletes (crew, lacrosse) and/or distance swimmers. My great gran was 104 living up in ME when she said goodbye to this world. So after ruling out major illness and defects, be comforted that your child may possibly get blue lips frequently and have a very healthy heart and set of lungs.  Please do yourselves this favor - definitely seek the best medical care, but don't expect the worst. Worry has an EXTREMELY powerful affect on your health and your child's health. Being able to look up every condition  online begins to intrude on the most fragile and ambiguous aspects of our lives - our mental health. Previous generations of parents did not have to cope with this source of anxiety anywhere near what ours does.

All in all it's also professional that docs wait on the asthma labeling because the side effects of albuteral abuse and the steroids are pretty real and sometimes lasting.  The one time my son was treated he bounced off the wall for 3 days and had trouble sleeping.  You could dribble him like a basketball. Was it worth medicating him? Yes at that point in time.  Would I do it in the future as a preventative measure or as soon as he contracts a cold.  No, I would wait until the forced breathing symptoms appear and make it necessary or until he has established a clear history of regular asthmatic symptoms. Don't hesitate to use the prescribed meds when your child clearly needs them - do hesitate to use them when your simply nervous that he/she might not be as active as other children. There are so many things with overlapping symptoms that could be going on in their little bodies and a fair share of meds interfear with accurate diagnosis.

Again, heart/circulation and respiration issues are not to be taken lightly, but if you get periodic tests and they reveal good vitals - trust them and don't let the panic drive parenthood.  There are a lot of healthy kids with frequent blue lips - who turn into healthy adults with frequent blue lips due to the way their body handles temp regulation through circulation.  In my humble opinion, there's a pretty wide natural variation out there in healthy kids, and adults.  It's part of living in a global melting pot.

Hope that's helpful to someone and good luck all with your most beloved wee ones. God bless.

(so does my son)

Therefore, I do not sweat that readily

Some possible factors to consider

Wow, I'm shocked and somewhat relieved that there are so many others out there with similar problems.

I'm new to this site and unfortunatly have no answers but I can comment on our situation and the tests we've done to date.

I have a 18 month old daughter.  Since birth she's been completely normal, developing a little better than average and very healthy.  About 5-6 months ago we started noticing blue lip spells that would last a few minutes up to 10 mins.  She'd also have very cold hands and feet along with the blue lips.  I was told it's mostly related to circulatory issues by my doctor and that most toddlers grow out of it and not to be too concerned.  Then...

2 weeks ago my daughter was at daycare when she was calmly playing on the carpet.  Her whole mouth went blue (opposed to just her lips) and minutes later she completely collapsed.  She was not breathing, non-responsive with eyes wide open, limp like a rag doll.  My daycare provider (who's also my sister in law) picked her up, started shaking her and yelling her name.  After about 20-30 seconds (approx) my daughter came to, took a deep breath and started wailing.  She was taken to the hospital in an ambulance where after numerious tests was found completely normal except that she had a very minor case of pneumonia.  The doctors had no answers but only said to bring her back if she ever goes spontaneously unconscious again.  Yeah... thanks for that advice!

Since then we have seen 1 pediatrician, (countless doctors in the hospital) and now a pediatric cardiologist.  She's had 5 ecg's, 2 rounds of chest x-rays, 3 O2 tests, a 24 hour holter heart monitor test and today we had an echocardiogram.  All of which came back completely normal.  The only thing that was found was a VERY minor heart murmer noticed by the pediatric cardiologist, who said in no way could such a slight murmer cause her to suddenly loose consciousness.  We're scheduled to do a 48 hour holter heart monitor test.  The cardiologist wants to monitor her heart when she has a blue lips spell but so far every test we've done has not been in conjunction with her getting blue lips.  We have been told to take her pulse if we notice her lips are blue or best case scenario take her to a doctor or hospital to take her blood pressure while the has blue lips.  They don't think they're connected but there's no way to verify until they see how her heart reacts while she has blue lips.

The next step for us it to go to a neurologist to test brain wave activity.  Our pediatric cardiologist said it's possible the passing out was a seizure.  Apparently you can have seizures that don't involve convulsions.  A friend of mine had a similar thing happen with her son (with out going unconscious mind you), where he was sitting there, completely unresponsive staring off into space.  Their neurologist said (I'm summarizing based on what my friend explained to me) that in many cases Toddler's brains and bodies can tend to develop and grow at slightly different paces and can't always relate to eachother. When this happens it can result in a seizure as the body's way of resetting itself.  Apparently they just outgrow these seizures as their bodies grow and develop.  Whether or not we're having seizures is yet to be determined.

We'll be having our first trip to the neurologist in about 3 weeks.  I'll update with any new info that we find.  

Good luck to all.
Blue lips can happen if they are sucking on a bottle or sippy cup also. This used to happen to my daughter when she was a baby, I now run a dayhome and have a little boy that it happens to when he drinks from his sippy cup.
my son is 13 months old and also is having the same issue we were in the ER last night and finally had a doctor who seemed concerned he told me to follow up with a cardiologist.. and it will be our second. it first happened when he was about 4 or 5 months old.. nothing showed up on any of his test
i found out today that my MIL had PDA when she was little and had to have open heart  surgery when she was 23 months old.. im not sure if its what my son has or what any of your kids have but check into it.. just type into google PDA heart condition and you will get lots of info. good luck to all and please post if you find out anything and i will do the same.
my son is now 4, he has been gettin blue lips finger nails,for 2 years now. hes had an ecg twice,lots of blood test,and a brain scan, an they all came back fine, hes fine in him self when hes lips are blue an plays as normal. hes lips turned blue this weekend itook him to A &E. but buy the time we got there it was more or less gone, its really upsettin coz the doctors think your just an over protective mum, when he was 2 it was happening 6 times a day i was in an out of A&E, i was there twice in 1 day an the doctor told me not to worry unless he was blue for 20mins, so the next time it happened i did that an my son ended up having a fit a was rushed to hospital an was ther for a week in the high dependancey unit,they did lots of blood test an still no answers, my son seem to luk through me some times like am just not there , then he seems to *** round after a few mins, dont no if this is connected to the bluness or not, am waitin to see a doctor at the hospital soon, will let u all no if i find out whats goin on .
I posted a short time ago and have some new (but not very insightful) info to add.

My daugher had anohter strange episode that was different than her first (see my post dated Feb 18th)  She was at daycare, being her normal happy energetic self... and dancing on the carpet.  Suddenly she just stopped dancing and totally spaced out and was non-responsive.  Only this time she did not go unconscious or stop breathing (thank God).  But this episode was very different from her first. She did not have blue lips (from what I was told).  But while she was spaced out she was looking towards the floor but not focusing on anything.  When you looked at her eyes, they were moving from side to side slightly. (kind of how your eyes look when you're reading a book).  My caregiver called her name, snapped her fingers in front of her nose and got no response.  She also lifted up my daughter's arm over her head, and let it go... and her arm just dropped down to her side.  My daughter didn't react in anyway.  A short time later my caregiver shook her favorite toy (that rattles) and on the second shake my daughter just snapped out of it, took her toy and just went along her way like nothing had happend.

We also had our initial appt with a neurologist who said she seems completely normal.  He thinks the seizure theories we've been told are very unlikey given her situaiton and age, and if the spacing out were these types of seizures they'd be happening multiple times a day... (like 5 to 7 times in a day and would be more likely for children 5+ yrs old).  We have to wait another month for her EEG and weeks later for the results.  

The neurologist doesn't think he'll find anything but we're insisting on the test anyway.   He did say he thinks it's a circulatory issue.  He said if it was an issue where she was not getting enough oxygen that her whole body would be going blue, not just her lips and hands.  I'll have to look more into this. I thought that because she was cleared on the cardiology end of it that circulation wouldn't be an issue.  I mean, if her heart is working as it should be... could she still be having circulation issues?  I don't know.

I'll post again with any new info.
hi, my son has also been turning blue. He is 2 years old and his creche said when he woke up from a nap his lips were blue/purple and quite cold, however his mood was normal and he seemed happy and his lips returned to normal colour within 10 mins. When he was a baby he would wake from his sleep trying to catch his breath so i took him to the doctors trying to get an answer to why this was happening and i was told that he may have sleep apnea and that this means he holds his breath whilst sleeping however he would always wake up again to catch his breath. I was terrified in case he would not wake to catch his breath. This spell of apnea only lasted for the 1st year of his life and seemed to disappear. Its only recently that the blue tinge or blue lips have appeared and he has not shown signs of sleep apnea recently or over the last year. I have made an appointment with my sons doctor to get him assessed, it is very strange tho that so many parents are reporting these symptoms in their children. Maybe it is linked to sleep apnea? My son is not pale in skin, he is swarthy so i do not think it is linked to pale or fair children. The only other thing i can think of is, he was at hospital last week an was given an antibiotic for a chest infection, also doctor stated that he might have asthma as he has had a persistant cough after having had croupe. She give him inhalers to take a few weeks ago. However when he was at hospital last week as he has a tempreture with his cough the doctor told us he actually has a chest infection so prescribed antibiotics. I asked her about his asthma and mentioned the doctors previous concerns about asthma and this doctor told me that she thinks he does not have asthma. I just don't know which doctors to listen to anymore as they seem to be giving me different information and diagnosis. Does anyone have any suggestions with regards to this information and why this might be happening to my son?  
Hi all my son has been turnig blue for a while now its his lips hands and arms that go blue, he has been admitted a few times to the hospital because of this and has had an echo on his heart which was fine he is going for an mri scan on the 19th of this month as they think it could be 2 cervical ribs(extra ribs) at the bottom of his neck pushing down on an artery causing him 2 go blue from time to time, my sons longest episode was 3hours he had nine in a week, but for the past couple of weeks he hasnt had any noticable ones. Another thing that can cause the blueness i have heard is fetus in fetu so going to speak to the consultant about this aswell. x
Thanks for your postings.  I'm really interested in hearing what you found out, if anything.  Thank you.
Jason
My 18 month old grandson had an episode of turning blue a couple of days ago; Monday April 26.  He had been running a mostly low grade fever since this past Sunday, but it did climb as high as 103.8 during the overnight hours on Sunday. Since then Tylenol worked well to keep the temp down and was being given every 4- 6 hours.  He had clear nasal drainage at times.  Was not coughing, but had a poor appetite at breakfast on Monday, and had been very clingy ( did not want to be sat down, wanted to hug a lot and stay real close).  He had just been placed in his high chair and I was attempting to feed him.  When he laid his head down on the high chair tray, and began to shake.  His lower jaw was trembling, his whole body had a fine tremor.  His arms were discolored.  When he looked up his lips were blue as well as his finger nail and great toe nail beds. His temp at this time was 101.5. He did not feel cold to the extremities nor was he sweating. The whole episode lasted only 5 minutes or so and next thing you know, he is eating/playing with his jello,  He remained quiet and with a poor appetite the rest of the day, but began to play a little more toward the evening hours, however at times seems to be more starry eyed lately. He had just been at the Dr. in the AM for a previously scheduled appointment. Although he had a fever and his heart was racing some at that point along with a bit of a red throat,  the Dr said his heart and lungs sounded good and was not concerned.. Following the episode, the Dr. was again called and he stated that this was not unusual when a fever was breaking.  His fever remained low grade for the remainder of the day and into Tuesday.  It finally resolved Tues eve and then he began to have more frequent clear/yellow nasal drainage.  Since this was the first and only episode thus far, we plan to monitor him and will take him to the ER if any subsequent episodes occur. I had never heard of this before and am amazed at the number of post regarding this topic.  I am hoping that it is as simple as a breaking fever, but I too worry about a heart condition, or mold exposure, or some chemical/drug exposure.  The mind races you know and we all want answers now.  But reading all the post, it seems that an answer may never come.  Wishing you all well...
My daughter started getting blue lips around 9 months. Shes going to be one at the end of this month and she is turning blue more and more frequently. her lips, her fingers, toes, and lately her cheeks. and as it's warm outside, i know that isnt the problem. it most often happens with she is playing with us inside, with her toys or something. i'm calling the pediatrician tomorrow and getting a new appointment set up. when i took her in in febuary because of this, my doctor said "it will be interesting to see if it happens when its warm out." i dont like this care free attitude and its not addressing the problem. she doesnt ever turn blue when she wakes up like i see alot of people saying. shell be playing. its not normal,  i dont care who says it is.
It's reasuring to know that there are so many people also having the same symptoms with their children as I've been asking everyone I know and up until now my 10month daugther was the only child I'd heard that had been having blue spells.  She first went bluish after a bath when she was sick with a temperature 38C and then again the next night during her dinner.  I thought she had just become cold.  We got a chest x-ray and bloods done in hospital as doctor thought it may be pneumonia.  Her oxygen levels were also fine and they said it was prob upper respiratory tract infection that she wasn't fighting and was put on antibiotics.  (She's also on Soy milk as cows seems to give her runny nappies).  She was well for a week or so and then got high spiking temp virus with clear runny nose and her hands, feet and lips went blue while I was changing her nappy at night.  Afterhrs Doc gave her antibiotics again and said it was her throat and sore ears this time giving her high temp?!  She seemed ok after but had an unresponsive spell in car driving home 2 days later.  Very scary!  She is much better at moment but is still going bluish from time to time.  Her body temp is generally low 35.5C-36.5C under arm normally and after the two fevers she was very cold for a day or two after?!  I've also noticed that she sometimes seems to look through me for a couple of seconds sometimes during the day and wondered if it may be absence seizures?!  Her daddy has a mild heart murmer and I've sometimes seen him staring into space and seems to click back to the conversation but never thought much of it.  It doesn't seem to be a problem for him?  She generally seems well but I'm worried now that it may be something to do with her heart that hasn't been picked up?  Would love to hear if anyone finds out anything more about this.  
my son is now two years old and he started having episodes where his O2 WOULD DROP in the lowers 80's and his HEART RATE in the 50's for about 45 min at a time when he was just 11MONTHS OLD. his WHOLE BODY would turn BLUE, and within seconds turn back normal,then back blue. the ER dr thought i was crazy and sent me home the first time because of course by the time i got there his episode was over. I made an appointment the very next day and it just so happened that he did the exact same thing sitting in the doctors office. we have been to cardi, neuro, pulmanary, and genetisist for the past year. we have had 4 pnemonias and 2 RSVs in and out of the hospital for weeks at a time. we finally found a neurologist that gave us some kind of ANSWER she reffered us to texas childrens hospital for AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM DYSFUNCTION. we go in aug to be tested , this would explain everything down to the o2, pulse, chronic dirreaha, fevers and recurrent pnemonia (pneumonia). my sons episodes are much worse and more frequent when he has fever and they seem to happen more in the morings although they do happen 24/7. ANS is extremely rare in children his age but i think were FINALLY on the right track....at least i pray we are
Same story, started when my son was 13 months and continues to this date, he is turning 2 this week. Blue lips, nail beds, bluish skin tone and cold extremities. Happens in the swimming pool all the time, very often when he's eating, and multiple times/day when he's sick (even a cold or tummy bug makes it happen more often). He does seem to get sick more than most other kids, and his pediatrician has him classified "High use" patient (one who needs medical treatment often). Every trip to the ER has always tested him normal, and I've been lucky that the staff there have seen it happen while he was there, so they took it seriously. All they could find was a very mild case of pneumonia, which obviously hasn't lasted for a year! I have a family history of anemia and Reynaud's syndrome (fingers and toes turn blue then white and hurt or itch like crazy), so maybe it's a combination of low iron and poor circulation? I haven't noticed any staring episodes or petit mal seizures, but will keep an eye out. Scary! There is either some new strange phenomenon at work, or else this is a relatively normal thing that people never had the opportunity to discuss until the internet! Let's hope it's the last choice, not the first! Oh, and I'm Canadian but my 2 children were born in New Zealand and that's where we live now, so that probably rules out environmental factors.
Hi all,
This happened to my 1yr old girl last night and lasted about 30 minutes. By the time she was seen by a Dr it was back to normal. Dr found she had a temp of 39 degrees Celcius and an ear infection but didn't know what caused the blue lips. Went to the Children's Hospital. They thought it might have been a Febrile Convulsion (google it) brought on by a rapid rise in temperature, but to bring her back in if it happens again. It might be, but she never lost consciousness or convulsed so we will watch her closely for any further episodes.
I am also having the same problem ith my son. I have seen one doctor and two PA's and they have all told me it is nothing at all. This turning blue cna last anywhere form 10minies - 3 hours! I am very concerned and feeling like the doctors are blwoing me off. My son is very active, drinks a lot, and sometimes seems to be out of breath. It is very frustrating, and I wish they would run tests or something!!!
My 15 month old had blue lips this morning. I took her in and the doc said everything is fine and it is a virus. That can not be normal and I am going to take her to my natural path. The problem with "REAL" doctors is they often don't have answers and almost always have a perscription to give. They treat symptoms not the problem! I will repost when we see the natural path and it could be a week or so. Good luck to all other parents!
My daughter 15 month old had the same thing but it happened 3 times one day. The doc said she was fine which I do not believe. So I got a second opinion from my natural path... I read story after story of all the same stuff and dr.'s and hospitals not knowing what it is. So my baby has a blocked kidney from tons of fruit. She drinks fruit juice all day and is a picky eater so I just feed her different kinds of fruit for snacks. Well it being blocked has caused trouble with her circulation. Treatment for her was to water down her juice or give her more water with a drop or two of lenon or lime juice. I'm not sure if it will work for you but my baby is not turning blue anymore!
I am new to this forum just tonight but I have read every single response to this post tonight. Today my 19 month old Ashtyn, after about 10 mins of being up from bed this morning started shaking, lips turned blue/purplish, around his lips, tip of his nose, nail beds, hands and feet. probably for at least 10 minutes. We took a trip to the emergency room and everything came back ok, blood work indicating something viral was going on. This I already knew from the trip to the doctors yesterday and the day before that with temps ranging from 103-104.6 throughout the past two days. I was told that they do not know why he turned blue but they think he has something viral. He once again became a little blue tonight after I gave him a temped bath because he had a temp of 103.5. But he came back around more quickly, basically he needed to be warmed back up from what I could tell. I have no idea what is going on but I feel that the journey that most of you have been on is one I will be going on with him very shortly. this is his 3rd unexplained fever in the last 2 months that range this high and every time I have been told its something viral. When it is my child and I can't help him in any way other than controlling the fever I push for more which is what I am doing now. Good Luck to everyone and thank you for sharing your information if has given me directions to go in when I speak with our Pediatrician on Monday when he returns from vacation and I can fill him in on all of the stuff he has missed with Ashtyn this past week!
Hello Everyone,

I have an update but nothing significant.  See my previous posts on Feb 18th and March 12.

The last I heard from our neurologist is my daughter could have a circulatory issue, and when asking my own doctor his opinion on that.  He said it's possible and my daughter
could simply be really sensitive to being cold.  (Although I don't believe that's the only thing going on).  He said that the circulatory system works in conjunction with the brain (of course).  So when the body signals that it's cold, the brain will send signals to send blood/warmth to the core of the body as a priority, and as a result this can cause lack of circulation to extremeties in the body (arms, legs etc) especially in babies/ toddlers who's circulatory systems may not be quite up to par yet.  This makes sense to me.  At this point with the weather being warmer we have seen a significant decrease in her blue lips/extremeties etc which would seem to support the "sensive to cold" theory.

We have now had our EEG test and although we have not had a follow up with the neurologist, the technicial said everything looks perfectly normal.

However, in my own opinion being super sensitive to cold still doesn't explain why she would pass out and go unresponsive/non-breathing. Nobody has been able to make a connection or provide an answer to that.  We're just crossing our fingers that it doesn't happen again.

Good luck to everyone.
My son (now 17mos) has had a few episodes (early in the AM after he wakes up) where his lips a blue. He has also been a little jittery, but nothing that alarmed me. He was awake and alert, breating regularly. His lungs were always clear and had a good heart rate. I'm a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse, and I felt like it was just a breath holding spell from crying just after waking. This happened about 3 times and my sister was holding him one day (middle of the day/wide awake) and asked if I thought his lips looked blue?? I told my pediatrician about this during a sick visit (about 16 1/2 mos). She thought (like me) that it was nothing, but wanted and EEG just to check things out.

Well...the EEG was mildly abnormal and now we have an appointment with the neurologist on Sept. 2nd. I've seen seizures in babies and children dozens of times...but they all had typical clinical (visible) seizures. Now I watch my son like a hawk and am documenting EVERY strange stare that he has, awkward movement, breath holding spell!

For everyone to know!!!!! Seizures can happen with NO outward symptoms! Not breathing (you think they are holding their breath), blank stares, vomitting, jittering, jerky rhythmic movements, eyes rolling to the back of the head...PLEASE don't let any doctor dismiss with just listening to your baby's heart...one pediatrician blew me off a couple of months ago...I WILL NEVER SEE HER AGAIN!
I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!!!
Hey!

My son is now 5 years old.

My husband and I would always notice his lips slightly having a blue tint, and we always thought he was very cold. After a bath we'd hurry quickly to cover him (it would be worse after just waking or a bath). Even if it was warm outside (we live in FL, it's practically always warm) he would get blue lips.

As an infant, I noticed quivering/shaking and the doc said it was normal, his nervous system was still forming.

Around 2 years old he was in daycare, I worked right next door in the 3 year old room, and he had an episode where his skin turned grey, his lips turned blue as blue jeans, and he just laid down on the floor. He seemed totally exhausted. The teacher picked up his limp body and ran him to me, and I rushed him to his doctor. We got there and he was totally normal, jumping from chairs, laughing, and playing with toys. The doctor told me next time it happened to bring him to the ER.

A few days later, it happened again, so we took him to the ER. At the ER, the medical staff was so freaked out by how awful he looked. They kept telling me "If I were his mom I would be so worried." Yeah, thanks for that!!! They felt unprepared to deal with his problem, even though no one knew what it was, they put us in an ambulance and sent us to a different hospital.

Everyone there was worried about his heart. A slight murmer was found. They put him in a room a step above intensive care, called the step down unit. He was hooked up to a monitor and constantly observed. We were there for 3 days. They ran every test you can imagine on him. Nothing was diagnosed, and we were sent home without any answers.

Our insurance wasn't covering any of this, because we were at the doctor the week before for blue lips, and our new insurance considered this a pre-existing condition, even though nothing is still diagnosed at this point. Bummer!!! $30K later, we still have no answers.

I got a new job with better insurance coverage, and started testing again. We checked his heart up and down and finally the heart specialist said we didn't need to come back again, his heart was not causing any trouble.

We went back to the neurologist. During our hospital stay, they prescribed my son Trileptal, becaues they felt like if it was seizures causing the blue lips, seizure medicine should make the blue lips stop. The opposite happened. Where the lips would turn blue every now and then, on Trileptal he was constantly blue. So the doc suggested we stop it and that he probably wasn't having seizures.

We did a 48 hour study about a year after the hospital stay, and in the last 15 minutes of the study, a seizure was found! So he was put on Keppra. That made him crazy!!! CrAzY! So they put him on Zonisamide. He's been on that for 2 years now and his behavior is out of control. He's super emotional and wild, can't focus, really hyper - so we're about to change his med to Lamactal at the doctors suggestion, but it seems the blue lips are an after effect of having a seizure while he sleeps.

He's had one weird episode in the night, where he walked into our bedroom with weird jerky movements and couldn't seem to talk or walk smoothly, and after a few minutes he was fine and didn't remember any of it. His epiliepsy doesn't cause the dramatic falling to the ground movements, just spacing out and from the EEGs we've had done, it seems to happen when he is sleeping. Mostly I am holding him and you would never know he's having multiple seizures.

I still see blue lips on occasion but for the most part, it's rare. When he's really sick or really tired.
Hi. My 3 year old adopted daughter has periods of cyanotic lips, usualy after excersion. Im a Paramedic and aware of the diseases this may be attributed to. I'm encouraged by the amount of people experiencing the same symptoms and concerns but unfortunatly dissapointed at the feedback with results from ecg's etc
I have a 4 yr old daughter who has similar problems. It started 2 years ago with her spontaniously passing out. We saw a peditrition and she blew it off saying we needed to see a psychaitrist for behavior problems because according to our doc she was making herself pass out and it is common in kids. We fired her and got a new dr. The new doc sent us to a  cardiologist and  all the tests were normal but he put a holter monitor on her for a month. It only took a few days to catch an episode. It turns out her heart was stopping when she passed out. She now has a pacemaker so she doesnt pass out. But she still has blue lips quite a bit. We were referred to the pulmonary doc. At the appointment she caught many episodes and it turns out her 02 sats were 82% when she has these episodes. But they did a CT angiogram of her head and chest to rule out AVM's. Then they did a broncoscopy. All negative. Now  we are getting referred to the neurologist for evaluation of an autonomic disorder. Our problem is we have caught the episodes and all the docs know there is a "very serious and very rare" problem just no one can tell us  what it is. For now we are on oxygen when she has an episode and at night. No exercise and a careful eye. did I mention we live almost 2 hours from the hospital. I just get so frustrated that no one seems to take things seriously. I mean if it was their kid this would all be figured out. I have no problem firing docs as my insurance allows this but i am running out of docs and I am tired of being treated like I am making a big deal out of this. It has been almost 4 weeks since the pulmonologist was going to get us in to see the neurologist. No one has called and the neuro guys dont even have our consult yet. I have learned though that when you see a specialist (cardiologist, pulmonologist, ect) that when they say everything is normal they mean their scope of practice. My daughter has a normal heart and the Sinus Node Dysfunction is something that is regulated by the brain thus him saying she is fine. Kinda Not my problem attitude. So keep looking for the right doctor who will listen and take things seriously. I have no problem saying What if this was your daughter. What if you were scared every night when you put her to bed that she wouldn't wake up in the morning. This really pulls on the heart strings of some docs. especially female ones. It is a sad tactic but I fear for my daughters life every second of every day.
I have 4 kids. 2 of them turn blue. My first one had a seizure with hers. I noticed it when they went from warm formula to cold milk. We did like all of you and had test and everything turned out fine. The dr said I might be a Hyper Vagal Nerve. My question to you is Has anyone elses dr said anything about a hyper vagal nerve?
Well, I guess I can add to this post.  My 14 month old son was just as the pediatricians for an hour trying to figure out why he turns blue.  He does have ASD, but it should not be the cause of him turning blue.  He's had several EKG's and Echo's and other from the ASD, they are normal.  My doctor is extremely perplexed as are we.  I am astounded by how many kids are suffering from this without there being a definitive diagnosis.  The one thing I see in common a lot is heart murmurs and getting over a nasty virus, both of which my son had/has.  Their has got to be some connection there.  I go back in a few weeks after I document how many times my son has this, how long it lasts (currently 2-3 minutes) and if it effects just his lips and hands.  I will keep everyone posted if I get any kind of answer.
I only have one new piece of information, although it was alluded to earlier in the thread...our pediatrician indicated that whenever their bodies are experiencing a quick change in temperature - either way, up or down - the blue lips and extremities (fingers and toes) can occur.  This has something to do with capillaries in the extremities constricting to allow more blood flow to the body core.  It is characteristic that it only lasts a short time, because then the body temperature stabilizes.  Temperature drops during sleep and probably raises during eating (I'm guessing, because the body is rapidly converting the food to energy).  This would explain why so many are seeing it during meals and after naps.  The theory of it occuring during peeing would fit as well, then, for the reasons that poster explained.

I saw it yesterday in my 16 mos old after her nap, and it was accompanied by shaking, like shivering, and she did have a fever and a cold, for which we took her to the doctor for all of the above symptoms.  It has happened a few other times in the past, but it passed so quickly, I didn't worry to much about it, nor do I remember what the circumstances around it were, but I'm going to pay more attention to it from now on.  I'm comfortable with our doctor's answer for now, but am going to call back to ask her to explain it further and she if she can validate it occuring during meals, after naps, and during/after peeing.  
Hi, I'm first off going to say that I have no answers yet myself....still looking.
My daughter Ruthie is 17 months old. and has been having blue spells for about 6 mo now.
The spells seem to occur at ramdom only upon waking from a daytime nap(as far as iv'e observed. I'm going to start doing more night time observations. Flipping the light on if she stirs or wakes to check if shes blue)
During a spell her 'whole body is blue in different variations of color) The hands, feet, lips, legs, arms are the most blue/purple. The back, face, and chest are blue, but not so much. All over her body it looks as though the skin is purple, and the veins are blue; being you can see all the veins in her body. They all clearly show.
Her hands, feet,legs, and arms will be very cold to the touch, but the torso and face stay warm.
She also is slightly "jittery" or "twitchy", mainly noticeable in the arms, and torso.
She is drowsy, seems slightly confused, and kind of in a daze. But at the same time aware.
If I try to sit her up, she will imediately lay down(kinda fall down accually) If I stand her up she falls down. I'll help her up, and if she "does" try to walk she will stager, cant walk in a straigt line, and cant keep her balance.
Then she will cry. She just wants to lay down.
The spells so far usually only last around 5 to 10 minutes. But the one she had today lasted at least 30 minutes.
By the time the paramedics arive to evaluate the spell is over and she is up running, playing, climbing, talking.....looking and behaving like a perfect healthy child! They must think i'm crazy?!?!
Also I must mention that the spells vary in severity, she has had two very bad ones, (like "hun, i think we need to call 911"), these are the first one she had, and the one today. The spells inbetween havn't been as bad, we usually just watch her until it goes away.
The first spell she had was with a fever of 105 upon waking from a daytime nap, and the er doc said it may have been a febrile siezure, which occures when there is a sudden rise in temperature. Though from the video they had me watched of a child expiencing this type of siezure, was nothing like what I saw with Ruthie. So they couldnt give me a diagnosis. her doc said thats what it may have been and if it was to expect it with other fevers, even if its not a high fever. Well she has had many many fevers since then, some very high ones too, and has not had a spell since then with a fever.
I honestly don't think she had that type of siezure associated with a fever.
We have had blood work done, and a few other tests. Nothing to invasive. Everything always comes back a ok.
I will say that after today.....I have my camera ready....when she has another spell i'm getting it on video. Then maybe they will beable to figure out whats going on. I also plan to buy an oximeter to check her oxygen levels, along with montoring her breathing and night time/nap time activity. Other wise they won't know whats going on exactly.
Its scary when it happens, but i'm relieved when it stops and she returns to her normal playful self. Weird. I will post again when I have updates.
Kayka said: "I noticed it when they went from warm formula to cold milk. We did like all of you and had test and everything turned out fine. The dr said I might be a Hyper Vagal Nerve. My question to you is Has anyone elses dr said anything about a hyper vagal nerve?"

My toddler does this as well. The first time it happened (around 13 months) we ended up running to the hospital, they were so blue!! (he was acting perfectly normal, though). On the way I called the ped and he said that if he could breathe normally it was very probably a vasovagal syndrome of some sort and that it should go away after 5-10 mins.

It did.

But it keeps happening, maybe 3-4 times a week and always after breakfast.

Something important, though: My mom has a vasovagal syndrome (sweating, tachycardia, feeling faint or even fainting) after eating a strong dinner or after a bowel movement. Vasovagal syndromes are common especially after that: bowel movements and eating something hard to digest (or a lot). This *does* happen to my kiddo when/after eating and it made sense to me....

In any case, reading all your experiences helps me be more at peace a bit. He doesn't have any more symptoms after all.

BTW, for those interested, he was breastfed up til 9 mos, then combined breast with soy mil and is now on stage-3 formula.
Keyka said: "I noticed it when they went from warm formula to cold milk. We did like all of you and had test and everything turned out fine. The dr said I might be a Hyper Vagal Nerve. My question to you is Has anyone elses dr said anything about a hyper vagal nerve?"

It did.

I just got my daughter checked by a cardiologist today for all the same things you guys have been describing- blue lips around the mouth but NO other symptoms. It comes and goes with no rhyme and reason and can last for up to 3 hours.

After an EKG, a pulse ox, and a through examination, he determined she has Perioral Cyanosis.

Apparently, it is perfectly harmless and the only long term effect it will have on her is that possibly she will blush more as an adult. He told me it was very common and he sees this problem a lot. From what I understand, basically her veins constrict a little more than other kids. He said it is very common in fair skinned children, but that it probably happens in children with darker skin but you just don't see it.

The doctor did say it was good we got her checked out just to be safe, but to no longer worry about it.

I hope this helps! If you are not finding anything wrong in the tests and everything comes back normal, this might be what your child has as well.
My lips turned purple-blue after eating yesterday so I thought I would go online and see if I'm in big trouble.
This happened again this morning and I seem healthy otherwise.
I'm just trying to find answers and will ask around in the the hopes of finding answers and will post whatever i find.
I am hoping to have some answers soon. I have a 14 mth old daughter whose lips, hands and feet turn blue/almost black frequently throughout the day but only when she is active. Normal color returns quickly when she rests. She had an irregular heart beat as an infant but ECHO was normal and it cleared up after a few weeks. Because she was fat and healthy, the cardiologist was not worried. Now however she is turning blue and has been labeled failure to thrive due to very poor weight gain (did nt double birth weight until 13mths). She also sleeps too much and has a hemangioma. When we went to pediatrician she immediately sent her back to cardiologist. At this appt, oxygen levels in hands and feet were low 80s but on ear lobe was 99. Cardiologist refused to do repeat ECHO and said it was not her heart that it was simply acrocyanosis, that she would outgrow it and that it was not related to other issues. My pediatrician called me in for a consult appointment yesterday and said that why he may be right, it is not a eisk she wants to take so she ordered 8 different blood test and an urine analysis. We both feel that if all of this comes back normal, that we can rest assured it acrocyanosis and not harmful. I will post with results next week.
i am very disturbed by the number of parents complaining of the same symptoms and the lack of answers.  my son (14 months old) has been sick since 12-26.  he has had three incidences of croup and was diagnosed this past thursday with influenza A.  we have had two episodes of the blue lips and fingertips, the most recent being yesterday.

he woke up from his nap around 4:30 pm.  the one side of his head (assuming the side he was sleeping on) was wet with sweat.  for the next 15 minutes or so, he just laid on me and sort of whimpered.  he wasn't really crying, whimpering is the best way i can think of to describe it.  

i tried to distract him with something to drink, but he would have no part of it.  i put him in his high chair and gave him some jello.  he took the jello, but the whole time, he was holding his body very stiff, almost like he was cold.  he wasn't shaking, trembling, foaming, his eyes were not rolling back.  but the posture he was holding his body was VERY strange and nothing i have seen him do before.

while this was going on, his entire upper lip was blue and the bottom lip had patches of blue.  his fingernail beds were dark blue and the blue continued down to the knuckle, getting lighter as it went.  his hands were ice cold (also very abnormal for him...he tends to run very warm.)

the way he was holding his body, i thought he might be cold so i took his temp and it was perfect 98.6.

i called the pediatrician and they told me to bring him to the ER.  i left for the hospital approximately 5:20 and his lips and fingers were still blue, although he was acting like his normal self.  by the time we got the the ER, the color went back to normal.

in the hospital, the checked pulse ox and it was 99.  chest x-ray and blood work were normal.

we have a follow-up with the pediatrician first thing in the morning and if he has no answers, i am going to demand a referral to a pulmonologist or cardiologist.  

blue lips and fingers are NOT normal and all i know is that everything that happened for the 30 minutes or so after his nap yesterday was not normal either.

i hope i am able to get some answers...i really cannot believe the amount of posts on this subject AND the children all seem to be within the same age as well!
IM 20 YEARS OLD MY LIPS HAVE GONE BLUE RANDOMLY EVER SINCE I WAS A BABY. MOST TIMES IN A WARM ROOM. I WAS ONCE RUSHED TO A+E AND THE DOCTOR SAW MY LIPS TURN DARK BLUE AND BACK AGAIN AND BLUE AND BACK IN THE SPACE OF 10 MINUTES HE SAID HE HAS NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS IN HIS LIFE (HE WAS AN OLD DOCTOR) I HAD MANY MANY TESTS ALL CAME BACK COMPLETLY NORMAL I HAD HEART SCANS BRAIN SCANS EVERYTHING THE DOCTORS NEVER FOUND ANY CAUSE THEY STILL TURN BLUE FROM TIME TO TIME BUT IM HEALTHY SO JUST TO REASURE YOU THERE MAY BE NOTHING WRONG!! MAYBE THERES A CONDITION THEY JUST HAVENT IDENTIFIED WHO KNOW BUT IM OK ME AND MY BLUE LIPS..
Anyone considered having the hypothalmus checked?  Hormone irregularities?  Just suggestions....
could the toddler's blue lips be related to one of the parent's Raynauds condition?
Toddler is 2yrs old today he's fever is 103.8 an notice his pee very dark yellow what's going with him
my son is 20 months old. last night is when he started with his episodes. i took it as a chill. today he had 3 episodes in less than 3 hours. his lips went blue and his whole face went straight pale. the last episode scared the crap outta me. i looked over to my sitting little boy and he looked like a corpse. i kidd you not! he looked like the living dead. i froze. regained my composure and called the peds. they told me to bring him in. they were concerned about a heart murmur, ceisures, etc. his oxygen was normal, his slight heart murmur is still only slight, and of course, by the time i got him there, he was completely normal looking. they sent me to get a chest xray. he may have swallowed something that is trying to work its way out and he is choking on it. i would have to say no to that tho. he plays normal and continues to breathe. no eye rolling. no loss of balance. happens during eating and happens during play. happened during 2 diaper changes laying flat on the floor. it's soooo random. with no explaination, their only words to me were, GET IT ON VIDEO. they want to see what i'm talking about. needless to say, my camera is attached to me like glue and of course, my little zombie baby has not come out for his big debut. guess my camera scared the blue outta him??? i hope tomorrow brings normalcy. he went through so much today. my heart goes out to all the parents and babes out there with no answers. god bless and good luck
My 15 mo old has also been doing this and we had her heart checked out and all was good there the heart doc thinks it could be acid reflux but not sure.  It is really weird
Hi my sons 2yrs old his lips keep turning blue alot lately, I wasn't sure if it was because I've recently just got him off bottles so he's not drinking as much and I put it down to him being thirsty, but he suffers from hayfever and has had constant colds and viruses, should I be worried? The doctor seems to think he's fine.
The most sense I've heard in a long time. Thank you. My 30 month old son frequently has very blue lips and chin when he is cold, especially in the mornings. He is very pale skinned so its probably made more noticeable by that. He is also very rarely ill and even on the 2 occasions he has had a cold it never seems to get him down and he has never had a raised temperature. I am sure that he is perfectly well and yet the wealth of information about, regarding symptoms, makes it easy for me to worry. My GP has also advised me that his heart and lungs sound fine. I do always worry however and feel it prudent to keep on checking.
Amazing - my daughter is 16 months old and her daycare has witnessed 4 episodes where right after lunch her lips and hands turned blue, got cold (temp was 96.4).  Her attitude and activity level was normal and it disappeared in under 10 minutes.  One time her arms turned ashen in color.  Two pediatricians are trying everything and are stumped, cardiologist says heart sounds great and EKG is perfect. Pediatricians now want us to have a camera at the daycare to take pictures of the episodes.  I have never seen it at home and was wondering if it was something related to the daycare.  I have also been told of Raynauds, which I will be talking to the peds about on Tuesday. I was recently told about a book called China Study and how episodes like these may be related to diet....

I am researching everything - why hasn't a study been put together so we can find the common denominator!
unbeleivable how many kids are going through this- with such similarities! and there doesn't seem to be an answer for it. so bizarre! my daughter is 15months, has been congested quite alot (more than normal, i would say) since she was 6months old or so, has had purplish and cold hands and bottoms of feet several times since newborn, and has been on soy formula w/added omega3 and 6 (she had some digestive/gassy issues as a newborn). it has happened about 3 times over the last couple of months when i have noticed her lips and fingernail beds turn bluish/purple. it has happened twice after she ate in the morning, yesterday it was accompanied by her chin trembling. i picked her up out of her highchair to hold her and get a closer look at her. she was acting totally normal, so i let her go play thinking (hoping) it was just maybe she caught a chill. when i layed her down to change her diaper a few minutes later, her lips and nailbeds were still purplish and her chin trembled again. it went away a couple of minutes later, but i noticed also that as she was running around her tongue looked purplish as well...i have to look that up. i kept a VERY close eye on her all day and she was just as playful and energetic as usual. she did just get over a serious bout of congestion last week (very runny nose, clear mucus)  and had a mild fever two nights ago which came and went for reason being i thought might be her teething. taking her to the doc tomorrow- will post if i have any new info. my heart goes out to those babies having seizures and passing out- and to their parents... i can't imagine how scary that must be! let's hope for some answers SOON!!
I may have a possible consideration that you may want to explore.  I am an adult. I do have allergies and asthma and my lips tend to get blue when I have an asthma attack.  I don't always wheeze when I have one.   I know I am having one when I get super tired or my lips turn blue or I am short of breath.  

You have mentioned all the gamet of tests run on your children, those that posted, that rule out the other possibilities. The last one I am considering would be possible food or airborn allergies?  Process of elimination or getting the child tested for it might be a good idea.  My thought is that if they are allergic to something in the air or that they have eaten or drank that this could cause some asthma and that could create lack of oxygen and that could attribute to the symptoms.  Many reasons a baby could have blue lips though.  Many.  That could be a possibility.  Go to an immunologist and discuss the possibilities of this and what kind of tests can be run.

As for Perioral Cyanosis, that is a condition where the "around" the lips turn blue.  Not the inside.  It is important to note when checking the child that you also look at the tongue, gums, nails, and under feet.  ER doctors can only do so much.  It is best to go to a specialist.  Since they don't have blue doctors, and you have went to the heart doctors and so forth, the next course should be to speak to a doctor dealing with allergies.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

You may not realize this, but allergies can be fatal if left untreated.  Not always but anaphalactic(sp?) shock can be a sudden symptom.  It would be a good idea after you have ran the tests on heart and blood to go for testing of food allergies.  Speak to an immunologist.  I believe that is the category of doctor that could help with allergies and treatments.

When I think of blue lips what comes to mind are lack of oxygen, lack of circulation or anemia.  Blood or air disorders come to mind.  It is not normal for lips to turn blue.  You may have to research many conditions and ask that your child be tested for various things.

Did the child eat anything with barely, peanuts, strawberries, yeast, etc?  Do you have animals in the house or a lot of dust?
Hi there,

Like many others on here I am shocked at how many people are experiencing this with their children and only slightly relieved. I tried to read as many as possible, I connect most with those whose children had pneumonia and will share with you my story of my, now 5 year old, daughter and my six month old son.

It was June 2007, I live in Northern Alberta Canada and its warm here during that time. One morning my daughter woke with a mild fever and she vomited clear fluid once. We were supposed to go to a BBQ that night but I figured I had to cancel as she was coming down with the flu. But a couple of hours later and no more vomiting episodes she was completely normal. We went to the BBQ, had a great time. When we came home I was dressing her for bed and I thought I noticed a faint blue line around her lips. She was happy, alert, normal. I asked my husband his opinion and we both determined it was likely the lighting. But mother's instincts are powerful and I didn't sleep a wink because I knew something was not right. The whole night I walked into my sleeping baby's room and picked her up and held her under the bathroom light, no more blue. I cannot remember what prompted me to call the health nurse line for advice, it was a new minor symptom and the details of the night before. Coincidently as I was on the phone with the nurse I fed my daughter raspberries for breakfast, let her out of the highchair and she set off to playing and then came up to me and she was purple. It was the most horrifying moment of my life and I still have nightmares about it. It looked as though she was sucking on a purple popsicle while in a bucket of ice water. Her nose to her chin, her lips, her hands, nails, feet, were absolutely purple. But she was alert, she was playing, she was talking, she was obviously breathing. The nurse told me to call 911 immediately. I did but they arrived 20 minutes later. At that point all that was left were blue feet and a dark blue line around her lips, as if I drew blue lip liner on them. The paramedics told me my child likely had a tantrum or held her breath and they would not take her to the hospital but if I wanted her checked out I could take her in my own car. I was confused and started doubting everything. I hopped in the car and went to the ER, the nurses looked at me like I was an idiot and didn't even assess my daughter for the next two hours because she was pink and happy. No oxygen stats were taken, no stethoscope was put to her lungs. My friend called while I was waiting in the ER and said "I got you a doctor appointment, go now." I showed up at the pediatrician's office, she listened to my daughter's heart and said she thought it was the cause. We went back to the hospital for an EKG and all was normal. The next morning the very same thing happened, minus the vomiting and zero fever but she has never ever been as purple as she was on that day. Nonetheless, this time she was a bit lethargic. I ran into the pediatrician's office and she admitted us to the hospital. All oxygen levels were normal, she was no longer blue at the hospital and never went blue the whole time we were there. Xrays came back that she had pneumonia. She was treated, life went on, but she continued to go blue every single day for months upon months. A second pneumonia only a couple of months later made us obtain a referral to a respirologist. He was determined that she was a chronic aspirator, inhaling fluid/food into her lungs continuously. He said, she has two of the three symptoms - her lungs make noise, they have "feathers" in the xrays, now lets see if she has the third symptom. For the next week you pay attention every time sheats and let me know anything abnormal. So I watched her like a hawk waiting for the light bulb moment that never seemed to happen. At a weeks end I called his office and told him I noticed nothing different, except that every time she drinks from her sippy cup she coughs. That was the exact answer he was looking for and from there she was diagnosed with Chronic Aspiration Syndrome. For the next year we thickened EVERYTHING to a pudding consistency, including her water. She had only one pneumonia the whole year. We were told she would out grow the aspiration around the age of 3.

To make a long story short, in the last 5 years my daughter has undergone an MRI, a million chest xrays, barium swallow test, endless blood tests, EEG, EKG, holter monitor, echocardiogram, neurologist evaluations, allergy testing, all absolutely normal.

My daughter now suffers from chronic lung disease, undiagnosed. It is frustrating, angering, and heart wrenching. Living a relatively "normal" life, she has at least one to three pneumonias a year on top of other respiratory infections like asthma attacks (although she is not a formally diagnosed asthmatic because she doesn't express the classic symptoms), pneumonitis, bronchiolitis, etc. She is hospitalized every single year yet still no answer has been found, no prevention possible.

Last December (2010) she suffered from the worst infection she's ever had and when she showed up at the hospital, which was a casual decision between my husband and I because she didn't appear to be that ill, her oxygen levels were so low she was oxygen dependant for the next 24 hours.

Last month we saw an ENT who is going to perform a sleep apnea test. I have demanded a new pulmonologist, and finally a pulmonary function test which takes place next week.

In the mean time, my fourth child who is now 6 months old not only looks like my daughter, acts like her, he has started to turn blue like her. I believe he is an aspirator, we see the specialist next month to confirm. He coughs frequently, he turns blue after he eats, but nothing more. This morning his lips were purple so I went into the ER knowing I would be treated the same as I was years ago. I was hoping a chest xray would be performed, but it wasn't. He sweats very easily, but it's always cold despite the temperature and can soak a blanket if he cries for more than a minute.

I understand the frustrations of every parent who has gone to the doctor with a blue child in tow only to have that child be completely normal when the doctor sees them. It's like a child trying to tell an adult something they saw and the adult saying, "yah, uh huh, okay sure honey," and not truely believing them.

My word of advice is persistence. Second, third, fourth opinions. I research continuously, I've demanded tests, I've bought an oximeter which I know has helped immensely in my care for my daughter during times of illness. She is resistent to two types of antibiotics now because of all her infections. There is a reason, there is an answer, I just have to find it.
My son is 9 yrs old he also had a heart murmur. Doc's said he would grow out of it. When he was young the health dept gave him all his shots at once I was getting him in daycare and he normal doctor could not get him in for his chicken pox shot so I took him to the health department. Without my permission they gave him all his shots that he should have gotten over a period of time till he was 5 yrs of age. He became very Ill. he was sick for about a month almost lifeless, fevers and all. Docs said he would be fine and about a year later is when he started turning blue,Lips fingers and toes, cold to the touch. Docs gave me no incite to this. By the time I got him there he had no signs of anything. They thought I was crazy. He turned blue in the morning after swimming at school, sitting eating. As he grew older I realized with the blue spells he would spike a fever and then his body temp. would drop and he told me he was very cold. I started to warm him at that point and the blues would go away. Had him in er they would send us home untill one doc was releasing us and he had a spell I was so thankful he seen this only because I thought I would get and answer. At children hospital they watched him for 24 hours and sent us home saying i was crazy.I begged them to talk to the er doc that seen this. But they had never took the time to call him. I can say that he does not have them as often anymore he is always cold and in mid summer has a sweat shirt on and I always send a blanket with him were ever he goes even in 100 degree weather. I noticed that drinking milk and being around any one that smoked would worsen the blues. He has been wanting milk lately I let him start drinking it again and he has been swimming and went to a friends house over night and the parents smoked I let them know please don't smoke inside your home if he stays. But im sure they did. Because his blue spells are back. I still have no answers form doctors just that all tests are normal I monitor what he eats and keep him warm after swimming and baths. He stays out of air conditioned rooms and does not go to his friends house if there is smoking. The only answer I have found by doing research is  Reynauds Syndrome.  They say it is rare and no explanation for it. I am so amazed that so many of you are having the same thing going on. After all my years of worry I finally found people with the same issues as mine. I feel that it came from all them shots that he got at a young age. I hope all of you will find an answer soon. I am still searching.  
My  almost 5 yr old has had this happen a few times over the years but just this morning it happened and he has been constipated for a day or two. He had just had a B.M. and when he came out of the bathroom his lips were blue, I agree with your vagal hypothesis. I typed in blue lips and vagal and it brought me to your comment. He also sometimes while running and playing hard will say "my heart is beating really fast" which I thought was odd for a 4 yr old to notice so we took him to his pediatrician and he said "some kids are just more in touch with their bodies"? Got a second opinion and she said she could not hear any murmurs or anything that would concern her. Luckily doesnt happen very often anymore but still worries me.
WOW! It's amazing to me how common this seems to be. Just by chance, I decided to Google her symptoms, and this post came up.  As with many of you, I have an almost 16 month old that frequently has cyanosis in her lips/mouth and slow cap refill in her fingers. It has been happening since she was born (mostly in the morning), but has recently gotten a lot more frequent. A little over a month ago, she began running a low grade fever along with sever head and chest congestion. We made several trips to see her pediatrician. He did seem a bit concerned, but wanted to try to clear up her congestion before getting too worried.She has been on breathing treatments for the congestion, but the cyanosis continues. I also have a 9 year old boy, and this NEVER happened to him. I have just been watching her closely and trying to decide when to contact her pediatrician again.
Hello. My daughter is 20 months and also has had this since birth. My Doctors always said "she will grow out of it because some babies take longer to develop proper circulatory systems". Well, I am seeing less of the hands and feet if not at all anymore, but the lips ALWAYS turn blue when she cries hard or gets out of the water even here in the HOT HOT HOT Florida sun. She was born at 36 weeks and was on oxygen for a few days. She did have RSV at 10 months of age and she has only one kidney, but when she was born they checked her heart and saw no problems. HOWEVER, I am going to her 2 year checkup in April and will request an appt with a pediatric cardiologist....just in case. Let me know if you find anything that could be an answer. This is just odd. My 9 and 8 year olds NEVER had this happen to them either and my 8 year old had "undiagnosed" asthma but was on meds for that from age 6 mo until age 2 and has seasonal allergies, yet never got the blue lips. STRANGE....
My son just turned 12 months and is all of a sudden having the same issues, blue lips cold hands and feet and even a bit blue around his nose. Before he always had really warm almost sweaty feet so it's so weird. We took him to the Children's Hospital and a week later to our family doctor who both told us not to be concerned it's jut poor ciculation. What I did notice is this started right around when he started teething really bad. I know teething can cause some weird symptoms could this be associated with that? My doctor said no but some doctors don't believe a fever or a cold is brought in by teething either. Are any of the other babies teething??
What all your symptoms were is what my doctor said to look for and if he had those go to the ER right away.  My son just started blue lips after naps at daycare and a few at home so after the 6th time I made a doc apt for tomorrow so we will see what he says.  Good luck to you I pray it is never serious.  
Hi I just took my daughter to a heart doctor and he said her heart was fine. He said what the blue lip mean is a sinuistitus. As long as the inside of the mouth  nail beds or chest area was not blue shes fine. She is getting enough oxygen as her stat was 100. My daughter did not have any signs of blue lip until she had a seziure. That disorder goes with a blue lip. But my daughter stays purple under the eyes. And blue on the top lip under the nose. Not the pink area of the lip. So with that begin said if my child has sinus problems it took a heart doctor to figure it out when a peds. or ear nose and throat couldnt. Just keep an eye on him and set him up an appointment with a ent dr. If the ent says its nothing see a heart dr and ask him/her if that is what your child has. Most kids are faired skin and it can be seen better cause there is vessels that are surfaced on fair skin kids. But I didn't take that answer I got a second oppion.
My daughter is 3 yrs old and has been experiencing the same thing for well over a year.  I have only just taken her to A&E today and that was only because she happened to be blue in front of the GP (I didn't believe they would believe me/take me seriously).  I was told the exact same thing as you.  Now looking for answers as I feel I've been totally fobbed off!
My daughter (2yo) had episodes of blue lips and mouth when she was 1.5 yo and I took her to docs - they told me she was fine and it's nothing to worry about, it kinda went and not happened again untill now. It happened 4 times in two weeks span - her mouth just went blue for few minutes and stayed pale for a few hours. The condition is called cyanosis. I observed that it only hapened after she had watermelon. The doctor said it's allergy, but I was not sattisfied cause she did not exibit usual symptoms. So I researched what can caus cyanosis. One of the types of the condition is not caused by chronic disorder, but by NITRITE poisoning! So I googled "nitrite cyanosis watermelon (or food contamination)" and confirmed my fear. Also checked her urine for nitirte traces and the watermelon juice - all posistive. This is dangerous as nitrite poisoning can be fatal or cause lifelong disorder. It gets into food through contaminated ground or water, and is used to preserve foods in supermarkets. I didn't know untill I dug further and furthe into it (how was one to know it as we rely on supermarkets to sell us safe food) Please, I urge all parents to be careful of what they buy and mention to their GPs as mine just said it was allergy... Also read up on it as it is wise to know how to avoid contaminated foods. It is v dangerous for pregnant women and babies under 6 mnth old. It leads to serious blood disorders. So, the ign of just cyanosis and nothing wrong with the kid is most likely nitrite toxicity! I'm buying test strips to keep at home so I can check urine when this happens. Good luck.      
Sorry typo: NITRATES and NITRITES. First is naturally present in plants and our bodies, but when used in fertelisers and foods preservative an overdose can be fatal. There are strict laws on its use. It can contaminate groundwater ie water wells and is the one I meant, however, second nitrite is a toxic form of nitrate after it has undergone some chemical process and equally dangerous.  
when i was a kid i had the blue lips issue.  i was adopted, never breastfed.  my adoptive parents never did anything about it, it was just passed off as a curious thing that the family just teased me about.
.
at age 15, i developed Raynaud's disease, which is a phenomenon of unknown etiology but essentially involves abnormal vasoconstriction in the extremities, causing cold hands & feet (and in some cases lips, nose, ears) due to lack of blood flow (pallor) and cyanosis (hypoxia).  
.
i am now 44 and it has only gotten worse over the years.  i have also developed very high blood pressure - i am not obese, am an ex-smoker, rarely take much by way of alcohol or caffeine.  clearly there is some disruption of the sympathetic nervous system response.  
.
Keep an eye on your kids as they reach adolescence and watch for Raynaud's disease.  it is very annoying and unpleasant and has no cure, and might possibly be involved in other circulatory issues down the road, such as high bp or heart failure.
Thank you for this post.  I have a 10 month old son who recently started displaying symptoms of blue lips, but nothing else.  The first few times it happened I didn't worry much since he was breathing/behaving normally.  However, I started to get concerned after seeing this happen several times over the past 5-10 days.  

Tonight, his lips, fingers, and the heels of his feet were a little blue, too.  Trying to determine weather or not I should call his ped., I decided to google the symptoms and see what I could find.  After reading through multiple posts on the issue, I feel comfortable that what you've described is the most probable cause of his symptoms. (The first few times this occured, I told my partner that I thought our son was probably just cold.) He had just finished dinner and his bath, and I was getting him ready for bed when I noticed his blue-ish color.  After getting him dressed and warmed up a bit, his fingers/toes were back to normal and his lips were pink.  

Reading so many of these earlier posts, I'm thrilled I didn't make a rash decision and rush him to the dr... the tests would have cost me a fortune!  Although, I'm not implying you shouldn't practice due diligence when it comes to the well-being of your child, I'm saddened by the lack of common sense in todays medical professionals.  The tests and bloodwork performed in cases such as these is obscene.  

Anyway, thanks again for the great information.  I'll be monitoring our son very closely to ensure this isn't a more serious problem, but I am confident that he will be just fine...as soon as we turn the heat up in our house.  :)
I have a 16 month old daughter who also has her lips, hands and feet turn deep red, then purple/red, then purple and sometimes even blue/purple. It is her lips, fingers and palm of her hands, toes and bottom of feet. She normally has a lighter olive skin tone to her but lately she has been more ashy. Her father is Turkish/Arab and I am an American Mutt redhead. Not sure if it makes much difference but its a factor. Not only does she turn these colors but she also will be ice cold on her arms and legs and her torso and head will feel normal. She plays and runs around like a normal kid. These symptoms usually occur more when she is active and sometimes when she is sitting but bouncing around like after done eating and ready to get out of her high chair.

The first time I noticed this was back in January and I rushed her to the ER cuz she was blue in the lips and on her hands and feet. By the time we got there the color was more purple but she was not acting normal and seemed lethargic. She had been sick a couple weeks prior to this with pink eye, strep and an ear infection so she still didnt have much for energy and would walk around a bit and then plop down. But on this day she was just sitting there on the floor kinda watching her older sister play but not laughing like usual. The ER doctor just said she was congested and to give her saline in her nose and Motrin for her 104 fever and sent us on our merry way. She suffered for a week with a high fever.

The symptoms slowed some or I just didnt notice cause I was busy with school and home. Well last week Monday I had some friends over and while at the store my friend noticed her hands were really cold. This was around 4:30pm. By 8pm she was blue. I rushed her to the ER and they said she had a fever of 102.5, ear infection and swollen tonsils. When I asked why she turned blue even while being active he said she was SLIGHTLY congested and sent me home. So I have been watching her for the past week and she still has the same symptoms, no change. We are scheduled to see her doctor this afternoon. But reading how many other parents are going through the same thing is not comforting. I have her constantly bundled up and it does not matter whether we are inside or out she is still cold to the touch but she does not seem to be affected by this. Other than this she has been given a clean bill of health by her doctor when we go in for wellness checks. She is only 23Ibs, a little on the shorter side and very much an on the go toddler.

SO like many I am a concerned Mom and want answers. Its not normal for a child to turn purple or blue. If I find anything out I will post here. Hope all the previous parents have found out what is going on with their little ones.
My daughter had purple lips after breakfast yesterday morning. I took her to the hospital she was rosy pink by the time we got there. Today morning after breakfast she again had the purple lips. Cal, the doctor. She looked fine. Had her xrays and she was congested on the lower part of her lungs. He thinks it could be that when she coughs the phlegms scatter and plug the bronchi. The doctor gave her  nubalizer to open up her airways. He said if happens again call right away. If the bluish tint is due to her congestion he said it shuld go away by the end of the week.
wow...my 18 month old has been turning blue at random times since the end of March.  She is not cold, not sick, not having breathing problems...her lips, chin cheeks skin around the lips turn blue. She acts completely normal when it happens and it lasts for up to twenty minutes.  It's completely random except for the fact that it always happens in the afternoon.  She was born with a heart defect and was finally diagnosed and had surgery when she was 7 months old. After her surgery, we were told that every thing was normal and there were no other defects.  These blue spells didnt start for almost 8 months after her surgery.  We have an appt with her cardiologist in a month.  Has anyone's little ones been diagnosed with anything?  
I had the same problem with my 3 week old baby, she was really white, blue round the mouth and cold. I went to the on call doctor and was sent home being told I was a worried parent, next day we were in intensive care with her on life surport. Addenbrokes couldnt work out what was wrong we had hundreds of tests nothing came back and was sent home as she made became well again. 4 days later we were back at our local hospital in a&e same unwell symptoms. They found out she has SVT which is when her heart beats to fast , it is controlled with beat a blockers now and when she's 4 she will have a small op to correct it.
Addenbrokes told us to bypass our Gp's as the don't see sick baby's enough and to go straight to a&e where children's dicots are far more experienced.
My daughter is 8 years old.
We just found out that she has an Innocent heart murmur - the doctor told me it will heal by itself and needs no further check ups.
When she's been out for awhile, her lips are blue and very visible.
Is it just because she's cold or would it be the heart?
She complains of chest pain when she's crying as well.
My son was born at 27 weeks and is a twin. He has some minor heart complications but is monitored by the cardiologist and is doing just fine. This weekend ( 17 months old) he had an episode after drinking from his sippy cup where his hands, feet and lips turned dark purple. He was taken to the ER by ambulance but even while he was still purple, his oxygen levels were at 94%.  After blood work, EKG, urine test, chest xray, RSV test and flu tests, everything came back normal.  No answers for why this happened. I believe that the sippy cup is the culprit. I've been giving him a bottle again and he does fine but tried the sippy cup this morning and lips turned blue but his hands and feet were pink.  He has had a small cold so at first I thought maybe he was so stuffed up while drinking  his milk that he wasn't getting enough oxygen but even after sucking his nose before eating from the cup, his lips get blue. I dont know if he just doesn't breathe the same as he did on the bottle or what but with no other answers I really am leaning towards this being the problem. Does anyone else notice this as a possible reason?