sons lips frequently turn blue?
I was wonder if someone could advise me on my son, He's 16months old now and apart from being a handful is usually well except his lips (nowhere else) turn blue from time to time and I'm getting concerned as it is happening more frequently now! it does happen when he is cold but I've also noticed it at other times.I also have a 5 year old but his lips never turn blue ?
When he was 8 weeks he was admitted to hospital with bronchiolitis and at the doctor who examined him found a murmur? but said it was nothing to be concerned about and needed no further tests.
Should i now be worried?
Please reply as i'm unsure what to do.
I am also having the same problem ith my son. I have seen one doctor and two PA's and they have all told me it is nothing at all. This turning blue cna last anywhere form 10minies - 3 hours! I am very concerned and feeling like the doctors are blwoing me off. My son is very active, drinks a lot, and sometimes seems to be out of breath. It is very frustrating, and I wish they would run tests or something!!!
My 15 month old had blue lips this morning. I took her in and the doc said everything is fine and it is a virus. That can not be normal and I am going to take her to my natural path. The problem with "REAL" doctors is they often don't have answers and almost always have a perscription to give. They treat symptoms not the problem! I will repost when we see the natural path and it could be a week or so. Good luck to all other parents!
My daughter 15 month old had the same thing but it happened 3 times one day. The doc said she was fine which I do not believe. So I got a second opinion from my natural path... I read story after story of all the same stuff and dr.'s and hospitals not knowing what it is. So my baby has a blocked kidney from tons of fruit. She drinks fruit juice all day and is a picky eater so I just feed her different kinds of fruit for snacks. Well it being blocked has caused trouble with her circulation. Treatment for her was to water down her juice or give her more water with a drop or two of lenon or lime juice. I'm not sure if it will work for you but my baby is not turning blue anymore!
I am new to this forum just tonight but I have read every single response to this post tonight. Today my 19 month old Ashtyn, after about 10 mins of being up from bed this morning started shaking, lips turned blue/purplish, around his lips, tip of his nose, nail beds, hands and feet. probably for at least 10 minutes. We took a trip to the emergency room and everything came back ok, blood work indicating something viral was going on. This I already knew from the trip to the doctors yesterday and the day before that with temps ranging from 103-104.6 throughout the past two days. I was told that they do not know why he turned blue but they think he has something viral. He once again became a little blue tonight after I gave him a temped bath because he had a temp of 103.5. But he came back around more quickly, basically he needed to be warmed back up from what I could tell. I have no idea what is going on but I feel that the journey that most of you have been on is one I will be going on with him very shortly. this is his 3rd unexplained fever in the last 2 months that range this high and every time I have been told its something viral. When it is my child and I can't help him in any way other than controlling the fever I push for more which is what I am doing now. Good Luck to everyone and thank you for sharing your information if has given me directions to go in when I speak with our Pediatrician on Monday when he returns from vacation and I can fill him in on all of the stuff he has missed with Ashtyn this past week!
Hello Everyone,

I have an update but nothing significant.  See my previous posts on Feb 18th and March 12.

The last I heard from our neurologist is my daughter could have a circulatory issue, and when asking my own doctor his opinion on that.  He said it's possible and my daughter
could simply be really sensitive to being cold.  (Although I don't believe that's the only thing going on).  He said that the circulatory system works in conjunction with the brain (of course).  So when the body signals that it's cold, the brain will send signals to send blood/warmth to the core of the body as a priority, and as a result this can cause lack of circulation to extremeties in the body (arms, legs etc) especially in babies/ toddlers who's circulatory systems may not be quite up to par yet.  This makes sense to me.  At this point with the weather being warmer we have seen a significant decrease in her blue lips/extremeties etc which would seem to support the "sensive to cold" theory.

We have now had our EEG test and although we have not had a follow up with the neurologist, the technicial said everything looks perfectly normal.

However, in my own opinion being super sensitive to cold still doesn't explain why she would pass out and go unresponsive/non-breathing. Nobody has been able to make a connection or provide an answer to that.  We're just crossing our fingers that it doesn't happen again.

Good luck to everyone.
My son (now 17mos) has had a few episodes (early in the AM after he wakes up) where his lips a blue. He has also been a little jittery, but nothing that alarmed me. He was awake and alert, breating regularly. His lungs were always clear and had a good heart rate. I'm a Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse, and I felt like it was just a breath holding spell from crying just after waking. This happened about 3 times and my sister was holding him one day (middle of the day/wide awake) and asked if I thought his lips looked blue?? I told my pediatrician about this during a sick visit (about 16 1/2 mos). She thought (like me) that it was nothing, but wanted and EEG just to check things out.

Well...the EEG was mildly abnormal and now we have an appointment with the neurologist on Sept. 2nd. I've seen seizures in babies and children dozens of times...but they all had typical clinical (visible) seizures. Now I watch my son like a hawk and am documenting EVERY strange stare that he has, awkward movement, breath holding spell!

For everyone to know!!!!! Seizures can happen with NO outward symptoms! Not breathing (you think they are holding their breath), blank stares, vomitting, jittering, jerky rhythmic movements, eyes rolling to the back of the head...PLEASE don't let any doctor dismiss with just listening to your baby's heart...one pediatrician blew me off a couple of months ago...I WILL NEVER SEE HER AGAIN!
I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!!!
Hey!

My son is now 5 years old.

My husband and I would always notice his lips slightly having a blue tint, and we always thought he was very cold. After a bath we'd hurry quickly to cover him (it would be worse after just waking or a bath). Even if it was warm outside (we live in FL, it's practically always warm) he would get blue lips.

As an infant, I noticed quivering/shaking and the doc said it was normal, his nervous system was still forming.

Around 2 years old he was in daycare, I worked right next door in the 3 year old room, and he had an episode where his skin turned grey, his lips turned blue as blue jeans, and he just laid down on the floor. He seemed totally exhausted. The teacher picked up his limp body and ran him to me, and I rushed him to his doctor. We got there and he was totally normal, jumping from chairs, laughing, and playing with toys. The doctor told me next time it happened to bring him to the ER.

A few days later, it happened again, so we took him to the ER. At the ER, the medical staff was so freaked out by how awful he looked. They kept telling me "If I were his mom I would be so worried." Yeah, thanks for that!!! They felt unprepared to deal with his problem, even though no one knew what it was, they put us in an ambulance and sent us to a different hospital.

Everyone there was worried about his heart. A slight murmer was found. They put him in a room a step above intensive care, called the step down unit. He was hooked up to a monitor and constantly observed. We were there for 3 days. They ran every test you can imagine on him. Nothing was diagnosed, and we were sent home without any answers.

Our insurance wasn't covering any of this, because we were at the doctor the week before for blue lips, and our new insurance considered this a pre-existing condition, even though nothing is still diagnosed at this point. Bummer!!! $30K later, we still have no answers.

I got a new job with better insurance coverage, and started testing again. We checked his heart up and down and finally the heart specialist said we didn't need to come back again, his heart was not causing any trouble.

We went back to the neurologist. During our hospital stay, they prescribed my son Trileptal, becaues they felt like if it was seizures causing the blue lips, seizure medicine should make the blue lips stop. The opposite happened. Where the lips would turn blue every now and then, on Trileptal he was constantly blue. So the doc suggested we stop it and that he probably wasn't having seizures.

We did a 48 hour study about a year after the hospital stay, and in the last 15 minutes of the study, a seizure was found! So he was put on Keppra. That made him crazy!!! CrAzY! So they put him on Zonisamide. He's been on that for 2 years now and his behavior is out of control. He's super emotional and wild, can't focus, really hyper - so we're about to change his med to Lamactal at the doctors suggestion, but it seems the blue lips are an after effect of having a seizure while he sleeps.

He's had one weird episode in the night, where he walked into our bedroom with weird jerky movements and couldn't seem to talk or walk smoothly, and after a few minutes he was fine and didn't remember any of it. His epiliepsy doesn't cause the dramatic falling to the ground movements, just spacing out and from the EEGs we've had done, it seems to happen when he is sleeping. Mostly I am holding him and you would never know he's having multiple seizures.

I still see blue lips on occasion but for the most part, it's rare. When he's really sick or really tired.
Hi. My 3 year old adopted daughter has periods of cyanotic lips, usualy after excersion. Im a Paramedic and aware of the diseases this may be attributed to. I'm encouraged by the amount of people experiencing the same symptoms and concerns but unfortunatly dissapointed at the feedback with results from ecg's etc
I have a 4 yr old daughter who has similar problems. It started 2 years ago with her spontaniously passing out. We saw a peditrition and she blew it off saying we needed to see a psychaitrist for behavior problems because according to our doc she was making herself pass out and it is common in kids. We fired her and got a new dr. The new doc sent us to a  cardiologist and  all the tests were normal but he put a holter monitor on her for a month. It only took a few days to catch an episode. It turns out her heart was stopping when she passed out. She now has a pacemaker so she doesnt pass out. But she still has blue lips quite a bit. We were referred to the pulmonary doc. At the appointment she caught many episodes and it turns out her 02 sats were 82% when she has these episodes. But they did a CT angiogram of her head and chest to rule out AVM's. Then they did a broncoscopy. All negative. Now  we are getting referred to the neurologist for evaluation of an autonomic disorder. Our problem is we have caught the episodes and all the docs know there is a "very serious and very rare" problem just no one can tell us  what it is. For now we are on oxygen when she has an episode and at night. No exercise and a careful eye. did I mention we live almost 2 hours from the hospital. I just get so frustrated that no one seems to take things seriously. I mean if it was their kid this would all be figured out. I have no problem firing docs as my insurance allows this but i am running out of docs and I am tired of being treated like I am making a big deal out of this. It has been almost 4 weeks since the pulmonologist was going to get us in to see the neurologist. No one has called and the neuro guys dont even have our consult yet. I have learned though that when you see a specialist (cardiologist, pulmonologist, ect) that when they say everything is normal they mean their scope of practice. My daughter has a normal heart and the Sinus Node Dysfunction is something that is regulated by the brain thus him saying she is fine. Kinda Not my problem attitude. So keep looking for the right doctor who will listen and take things seriously. I have no problem saying What if this was your daughter. What if you were scared every night when you put her to bed that she wouldn't wake up in the morning. This really pulls on the heart strings of some docs. especially female ones. It is a sad tactic but I fear for my daughters life every second of every day.
I have 4 kids. 2 of them turn blue. My first one had a seizure with hers. I noticed it when they went from warm formula to cold milk. We did like all of you and had test and everything turned out fine. The dr said I might be a Hyper Vagal Nerve. My question to you is Has anyone elses dr said anything about a hyper vagal nerve?
Well, I guess I can add to this post.  My 14 month old son was just as the pediatricians for an hour trying to figure out why he turns blue.  He does have ASD, but it should not be the cause of him turning blue.  He's had several EKG's and Echo's and other from the ASD, they are normal.  My doctor is extremely perplexed as are we.  I am astounded by how many kids are suffering from this without there being a definitive diagnosis.  The one thing I see in common a lot is heart murmurs and getting over a nasty virus, both of which my son had/has.  Their has got to be some connection there.  I go back in a few weeks after I document how many times my son has this, how long it lasts (currently 2-3 minutes) and if it effects just his lips and hands.  I will keep everyone posted if I get any kind of answer.
I only have one new piece of information, although it was alluded to earlier in the thread...our pediatrician indicated that whenever their bodies are experiencing a quick change in temperature - either way, up or down - the blue lips and extremities (fingers and toes) can occur.  This has something to do with capillaries in the extremities constricting to allow more blood flow to the body core.  It is characteristic that it only lasts a short time, because then the body temperature stabilizes.  Temperature drops during sleep and probably raises during eating (I'm guessing, because the body is rapidly converting the food to energy).  This would explain why so many are seeing it during meals and after naps.  The theory of it occuring during peeing would fit as well, then, for the reasons that poster explained.

I saw it yesterday in my 16 mos old after her nap, and it was accompanied by shaking, like shivering, and she did have a fever and a cold, for which we took her to the doctor for all of the above symptoms.  It has happened a few other times in the past, but it passed so quickly, I didn't worry to much about it, nor do I remember what the circumstances around it were, but I'm going to pay more attention to it from now on.  I'm comfortable with our doctor's answer for now, but am going to call back to ask her to explain it further and she if she can validate it occuring during meals, after naps, and during/after peeing.  
Hi, I'm first off going to say that I have no answers yet myself....still looking.
My daughter Ruthie is 17 months old. and has been having blue spells for about 6 mo now.
The spells seem to occur at ramdom only upon waking from a daytime nap(as far as iv'e observed. I'm going to start doing more night time observations. Flipping the light on if she stirs or wakes to check if shes blue)
During a spell her 'whole body is blue in different variations of color) The hands, feet, lips, legs, arms are the most blue/purple. The back, face, and chest are blue, but not so much. All over her body it looks as though the skin is purple, and the veins are blue; being you can see all the veins in her body. They all clearly show.
Her hands, feet,legs, and arms will be very cold to the touch, but the torso and face stay warm.
She also is slightly "jittery" or "twitchy", mainly noticeable in the arms, and torso.
She is drowsy, seems slightly confused, and kind of in a daze. But at the same time aware.
If I try to sit her up, she will imediately lay down(kinda fall down accually) If I stand her up she falls down. I'll help her up, and if she "does" try to walk she will stager, cant walk in a straigt line, and cant keep her balance.
Then she will cry. She just wants to lay down.
The spells so far usually only last around 5 to 10 minutes. But the one she had today lasted at least 30 minutes.
By the time the paramedics arive to evaluate the spell is over and she is up running, playing, climbing, talking.....looking and behaving like a perfect healthy child! They must think i'm crazy?!?!
Also I must mention that the spells vary in severity, she has had two very bad ones, (like "hun, i think we need to call 911"), these are the first one she had, and the one today. The spells inbetween havn't been as bad, we usually just watch her until it goes away.
The first spell she had was with a fever of 105 upon waking from a daytime nap, and the er doc said it may have been a febrile siezure, which occures when there is a sudden rise in temperature. Though from the video they had me watched of a child expiencing this type of siezure, was nothing like what I saw with Ruthie. So they couldnt give me a diagnosis. her doc said thats what it may have been and if it was to expect it with other fevers, even if its not a high fever. Well she has had many many fevers since then, some very high ones too, and has not had a spell since then with a fever.
I honestly don't think she had that type of siezure associated with a fever.
We have had blood work done, and a few other tests. Nothing to invasive. Everything always comes back a ok.
I will say that after today.....I have my camera ready....when she has another spell i'm getting it on video. Then maybe they will beable to figure out whats going on. I also plan to buy an oximeter to check her oxygen levels, along with montoring her breathing and night time/nap time activity. Other wise they won't know whats going on exactly.
Its scary when it happens, but i'm relieved when it stops and she returns to her normal playful self. Weird. I will post again when I have updates.
Kayka said: "I noticed it when they went from warm formula to cold milk. We did like all of you and had test and everything turned out fine. The dr said I might be a Hyper Vagal Nerve. My question to you is Has anyone elses dr said anything about a hyper vagal nerve?"

My toddler does this as well. The first time it happened (around 13 months) we ended up running to the hospital, they were so blue!! (he was acting perfectly normal, though). On the way I called the ped and he said that if he could breathe normally it was very probably a vasovagal syndrome of some sort and that it should go away after 5-10 mins.

It did.

But it keeps happening, maybe 3-4 times a week and always after breakfast.

Something important, though: My mom has a vasovagal syndrome (sweating, tachycardia, feeling faint or even fainting) after eating a strong dinner or after a bowel movement. Vasovagal syndromes are common especially after that: bowel movements and eating something hard to digest (or a lot). This *does* happen to my kiddo when/after eating and it made sense to me....

In any case, reading all your experiences helps me be more at peace a bit. He doesn't have any more symptoms after all.

BTW, for those interested, he was breastfed up til 9 mos, then combined breast with soy mil and is now on stage-3 formula.
Keyka said: "I noticed it when they went from warm formula to cold milk. We did like all of you and had test and everything turned out fine. The dr said I might be a Hyper Vagal Nerve. My question to you is Has anyone elses dr said anything about a hyper vagal nerve?"

It did.

I just got my daughter checked by a cardiologist today for all the same things you guys have been describing- blue lips around the mouth but NO other symptoms. It comes and goes with no rhyme and reason and can last for up to 3 hours.

After an EKG, a pulse ox, and a through examination, he determined she has Perioral Cyanosis.

Apparently, it is perfectly harmless and the only long term effect it will have on her is that possibly she will blush more as an adult. He told me it was very common and he sees this problem a lot. From what I understand, basically her veins constrict a little more than other kids. He said it is very common in fair skinned children, but that it probably happens in children with darker skin but you just don't see it.

The doctor did say it was good we got her checked out just to be safe, but to no longer worry about it.

I hope this helps! If you are not finding anything wrong in the tests and everything comes back normal, this might be what your child has as well.
My lips turned purple-blue after eating yesterday so I thought I would go online and see if I'm in big trouble.
This happened again this morning and I seem healthy otherwise.
I'm just trying to find answers and will ask around in the the hopes of finding answers and will post whatever i find.
I am hoping to have some answers soon. I have a 14 mth old daughter whose lips, hands and feet turn blue/almost black frequently throughout the day but only when she is active. Normal color returns quickly when she rests. She had an irregular heart beat as an infant but ECHO was normal and it cleared up after a few weeks. Because she was fat and healthy, the cardiologist was not worried. Now however she is turning blue and has been labeled failure to thrive due to very poor weight gain (did nt double birth weight until 13mths). She also sleeps too much and has a hemangioma. When we went to pediatrician she immediately sent her back to cardiologist. At this appt, oxygen levels in hands and feet were low 80s but on ear lobe was 99. Cardiologist refused to do repeat ECHO and said it was not her heart that it was simply acrocyanosis, that she would outgrow it and that it was not related to other issues. My pediatrician called me in for a consult appointment yesterday and said that why he may be right, it is not a eisk she wants to take so she ordered 8 different blood test and an urine analysis. We both feel that if all of this comes back normal, that we can rest assured it acrocyanosis and not harmful. I will post with results next week.
i am very disturbed by the number of parents complaining of the same symptoms and the lack of answers.  my son (14 months old) has been sick since 12-26.  he has had three incidences of croup and was diagnosed this past thursday with influenza A.  we have had two episodes of the blue lips and fingertips, the most recent being yesterday.

he woke up from his nap around 4:30 pm.  the one side of his head (assuming the side he was sleeping on) was wet with sweat.  for the next 15 minutes or so, he just laid on me and sort of whimpered.  he wasn't really crying, whimpering is the best way i can think of to describe it.  

i tried to distract him with something to drink, but he would have no part of it.  i put him in his high chair and gave him some jello.  he took the jello, but the whole time, he was holding his body very stiff, almost like he was cold.  he wasn't shaking, trembling, foaming, his eyes were not rolling back.  but the posture he was holding his body was VERY strange and nothing i have seen him do before.

while this was going on, his entire upper lip was blue and the bottom lip had patches of blue.  his fingernail beds were dark blue and the blue continued down to the knuckle, getting lighter as it went.  his hands were ice cold (also very abnormal for him...he tends to run very warm.)

the way he was holding his body, i thought he might be cold so i took his temp and it was perfect 98.6.

i called the pediatrician and they told me to bring him to the ER.  i left for the hospital approximately 5:20 and his lips and fingers were still blue, although he was acting like his normal self.  by the time we got the the ER, the color went back to normal.

in the hospital, the checked pulse ox and it was 99.  chest x-ray and blood work were normal.

we have a follow-up with the pediatrician first thing in the morning and if he has no answers, i am going to demand a referral to a pulmonologist or cardiologist.  

blue lips and fingers are NOT normal and all i know is that everything that happened for the 30 minutes or so after his nap yesterday was not normal either.

i hope i am able to get some answers...i really cannot believe the amount of posts on this subject AND the children all seem to be within the same age as well!
IM 20 YEARS OLD MY LIPS HAVE GONE BLUE RANDOMLY EVER SINCE I WAS A BABY. MOST TIMES IN A WARM ROOM. I WAS ONCE RUSHED TO A+E AND THE DOCTOR SAW MY LIPS TURN DARK BLUE AND BACK AGAIN AND BLUE AND BACK IN THE SPACE OF 10 MINUTES HE SAID HE HAS NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS IN HIS LIFE (HE WAS AN OLD DOCTOR) I HAD MANY MANY TESTS ALL CAME BACK COMPLETLY NORMAL I HAD HEART SCANS BRAIN SCANS EVERYTHING THE DOCTORS NEVER FOUND ANY CAUSE THEY STILL TURN BLUE FROM TIME TO TIME BUT IM HEALTHY SO JUST TO REASURE YOU THERE MAY BE NOTHING WRONG!! MAYBE THERES A CONDITION THEY JUST HAVENT IDENTIFIED WHO KNOW BUT IM OK ME AND MY BLUE LIPS..
Anyone considered having the hypothalmus checked?  Hormone irregularities?  Just suggestions....
could the toddler's blue lips be related to one of the parent's Raynauds condition?
Toddler is 2yrs old today he's fever is 103.8 an notice his pee very dark yellow what's going with him
my son is 20 months old. last night is when he started with his episodes. i took it as a chill. today he had 3 episodes in less than 3 hours. his lips went blue and his whole face went straight pale. the last episode scared the crap outta me. i looked over to my sitting little boy and he looked like a corpse. i kidd you not! he looked like the living dead. i froze. regained my composure and called the peds. they told me to bring him in. they were concerned about a heart murmur, ceisures, etc. his oxygen was normal, his slight heart murmur is still only slight, and of course, by the time i got him there, he was completely normal looking. they sent me to get a chest xray. he may have swallowed something that is trying to work its way out and he is choking on it. i would have to say no to that tho. he plays normal and continues to breathe. no eye rolling. no loss of balance. happens during eating and happens during play. happened during 2 diaper changes laying flat on the floor. it's soooo random. with no explaination, their only words to me were, GET IT ON VIDEO. they want to see what i'm talking about. needless to say, my camera is attached to me like glue and of course, my little zombie baby has not come out for his big debut. guess my camera scared the blue outta him??? i hope tomorrow brings normalcy. he went through so much today. my heart goes out to all the parents and babes out there with no answers. god bless and good luck
My 15 mo old has also been doing this and we had her heart checked out and all was good there the heart doc thinks it could be acid reflux but not sure.  It is really weird
Hi my sons 2yrs old his lips keep turning blue alot lately, I wasn't sure if it was because I've recently just got him off bottles so he's not drinking as much and I put it down to him being thirsty, but he suffers from hayfever and has had constant colds and viruses, should I be worried? The doctor seems to think he's fine.
The most sense I've heard in a long time. Thank you. My 30 month old son frequently has very blue lips and chin when he is cold, especially in the mornings. He is very pale skinned so its probably made more noticeable by that. He is also very rarely ill and even on the 2 occasions he has had a cold it never seems to get him down and he has never had a raised temperature. I am sure that he is perfectly well and yet the wealth of information about, regarding symptoms, makes it easy for me to worry. My GP has also advised me that his heart and lungs sound fine. I do always worry however and feel it prudent to keep on checking.
Amazing - my daughter is 16 months old and her daycare has witnessed 4 episodes where right after lunch her lips and hands turned blue, got cold (temp was 96.4).  Her attitude and activity level was normal and it disappeared in under 10 minutes.  One time her arms turned ashen in color.  Two pediatricians are trying everything and are stumped, cardiologist says heart sounds great and EKG is perfect. Pediatricians now want us to have a camera at the daycare to take pictures of the episodes.  I have never seen it at home and was wondering if it was something related to the daycare.  I have also been told of Raynauds, which I will be talking to the peds about on Tuesday. I was recently told about a book called China Study and how episodes like these may be related to diet....

I am researching everything - why hasn't a study been put together so we can find the common denominator!
unbeleivable how many kids are going through this- with such similarities! and there doesn't seem to be an answer for it. so bizarre! my daughter is 15months, has been congested quite alot (more than normal, i would say) since she was 6months old or so, has had purplish and cold hands and bottoms of feet several times since newborn, and has been on soy formula w/added omega3 and 6 (she had some digestive/gassy issues as a newborn). it has happened about 3 times over the last couple of months when i have noticed her lips and fingernail beds turn bluish/purple. it has happened twice after she ate in the morning, yesterday it was accompanied by her chin trembling. i picked her up out of her highchair to hold her and get a closer look at her. she was acting totally normal, so i let her go play thinking (hoping) it was just maybe she caught a chill. when i layed her down to change her diaper a few minutes later, her lips and nailbeds were still purplish and her chin trembled again. it went away a couple of minutes later, but i noticed also that as she was running around her tongue looked purplish as well...i have to look that up. i kept a VERY close eye on her all day and she was just as playful and energetic as usual. she did just get over a serious bout of congestion last week (very runny nose, clear mucus)  and had a mild fever two nights ago which came and went for reason being i thought might be her teething. taking her to the doc tomorrow- will post if i have any new info. my heart goes out to those babies having seizures and passing out- and to their parents... i can't imagine how scary that must be! let's hope for some answers SOON!!
I may have a possible consideration that you may want to explore.  I am an adult. I do have allergies and asthma and my lips tend to get blue when I have an asthma attack.  I don't always wheeze when I have one.   I know I am having one when I get super tired or my lips turn blue or I am short of breath.  

You have mentioned all the gamet of tests run on your children, those that posted, that rule out the other possibilities. The last one I am considering would be possible food or airborn allergies?  Process of elimination or getting the child tested for it might be a good idea.  My thought is that if they are allergic to something in the air or that they have eaten or drank that this could cause some asthma and that could create lack of oxygen and that could attribute to the symptoms.  Many reasons a baby could have blue lips though.  Many.  That could be a possibility.  Go to an immunologist and discuss the possibilities of this and what kind of tests can be run.

As for Perioral Cyanosis, that is a condition where the "around" the lips turn blue.  Not the inside.  It is important to note when checking the child that you also look at the tongue, gums, nails, and under feet.  ER doctors can only do so much.  It is best to go to a specialist.  Since they don't have blue doctors, and you have went to the heart doctors and so forth, the next course should be to speak to a doctor dealing with allergies.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

You may not realize this, but allergies can be fatal if left untreated.  Not always but anaphalactic(sp?) shock can be a sudden symptom.  It would be a good idea after you have ran the tests on heart and blood to go for testing of food allergies.  Speak to an immunologist.  I believe that is the category of doctor that could help with allergies and treatments.

When I think of blue lips what comes to mind are lack of oxygen, lack of circulation or anemia.  Blood or air disorders come to mind.  It is not normal for lips to turn blue.  You may have to research many conditions and ask that your child be tested for various things.

Did the child eat anything with barely, peanuts, strawberries, yeast, etc?  Do you have animals in the house or a lot of dust?
Hi there,

Like many others on here I am shocked at how many people are experiencing this with their children and only slightly relieved. I tried to read as many as possible, I connect most with those whose children had pneumonia and will share with you my story of my, now 5 year old, daughter and my six month old son.

It was June 2007, I live in Northern Alberta Canada and its warm here during that time. One morning my daughter woke with a mild fever and she vomited clear fluid once. We were supposed to go to a BBQ that night but I figured I had to cancel as she was coming down with the flu. But a couple of hours later and no more vomiting episodes she was completely normal. We went to the BBQ, had a great time. When we came home I was dressing her for bed and I thought I noticed a faint blue line around her lips. She was happy, alert, normal. I asked my husband his opinion and we both determined it was likely the lighting. But mother's instincts are powerful and I didn't sleep a wink because I knew something was not right. The whole night I walked into my sleeping baby's room and picked her up and held her under the bathroom light, no more blue. I cannot remember what prompted me to call the health nurse line for advice, it was a new minor symptom and the details of the night before. Coincidently as I was on the phone with the nurse I fed my daughter raspberries for breakfast, let her out of the highchair and she set off to playing and then came up to me and she was purple. It was the most horrifying moment of my life and I still have nightmares about it. It looked as though she was sucking on a purple popsicle while in a bucket of ice water. Her nose to her chin, her lips, her hands, nails, feet, were absolutely purple. But she was alert, she was playing, she was talking, she was obviously breathing. The nurse told me to call 911 immediately. I did but they arrived 20 minutes later. At that point all that was left were blue feet and a dark blue line around her lips, as if I drew blue lip liner on them. The paramedics told me my child likely had a tantrum or held her breath and they would not take her to the hospital but if I wanted her checked out I could take her in my own car. I was confused and started doubting everything. I hopped in the car and went to the ER, the nurses looked at me like I was an idiot and didn't even assess my daughter for the next two hours because she was pink and happy. No oxygen stats were taken, no stethoscope was put to her lungs. My friend called while I was waiting in the ER and said "I got you a doctor appointment, go now." I showed up at the pediatrician's office, she listened to my daughter's heart and said she thought it was the cause. We went back to the hospital for an EKG and all was normal. The next morning the very same thing happened, minus the vomiting and zero fever but she has never ever been as purple as she was on that day. Nonetheless, this time she was a bit lethargic. I ran into the pediatrician's office and she admitted us to the hospital. All oxygen levels were normal, she was no longer blue at the hospital and never went blue the whole time we were there. Xrays came back that she had pneumonia. She was treated, life went on, but she continued to go blue every single day for months upon months. A second pneumonia only a couple of months later made us obtain a referral to a respirologist. He was determined that she was a chronic aspirator, inhaling fluid/food into her lungs continuously. He said, she has two of the three symptoms - her lungs make noise, they have "feathers" in the xrays, now lets see if she has the third symptom. For the next week you pay attention every time sheats and let me know anything abnormal. So I watched her like a hawk waiting for the light bulb moment that never seemed to happen. At a weeks end I called his office and told him I noticed nothing different, except that every time she drinks from her sippy cup she coughs. That was the exact answer he was looking for and from there she was diagnosed with Chronic Aspiration Syndrome. For the next year we thickened EVERYTHING to a pudding consistency, including her water. She had only one pneumonia the whole year. We were told she would out grow the aspiration around the age of 3.

To make a long story short, in the last 5 years my daughter has undergone an MRI, a million chest xrays, barium swallow test, endless blood tests, EEG, EKG, holter monitor, echocardiogram, neurologist evaluations, allergy testing, all absolutely normal.

My daughter now suffers from chronic lung disease, undiagnosed. It is frustrating, angering, and heart wrenching. Living a relatively "normal" life, she has at least one to three pneumonias a year on top of other respiratory infections like asthma attacks (although she is not a formally diagnosed asthmatic because she doesn't express the classic symptoms), pneumonitis, bronchiolitis, etc. She is hospitalized every single year yet still no answer has been found, no prevention possible.

Last December (2010) she suffered from the worst infection she's ever had and when she showed up at the hospital, which was a casual decision between my husband and I because she didn't appear to be that ill, her oxygen levels were so low she was oxygen dependant for the next 24 hours.

Last month we saw an ENT who is going to perform a sleep apnea test. I have demanded a new pulmonologist, and finally a pulmonary function test which takes place next week.

In the mean time, my fourth child who is now 6 months old not only looks like my daughter, acts like her, he has started to turn blue like her. I believe he is an aspirator, we see the specialist next month to confirm. He coughs frequently, he turns blue after he eats, but nothing more. This morning his lips were purple so I went into the ER knowing I would be treated the same as I was years ago. I was hoping a chest xray would be performed, but it wasn't. He sweats very easily, but it's always cold despite the temperature and can soak a blanket if he cries for more than a minute.

I understand the frustrations of every parent who has gone to the doctor with a blue child in tow only to have that child be completely normal when the doctor sees them. It's like a child trying to tell an adult something they saw and the adult saying, "yah, uh huh, okay sure honey," and not truely believing them.

My word of advice is persistence. Second, third, fourth opinions. I research continuously, I've demanded tests, I've bought an oximeter which I know has helped immensely in my care for my daughter during times of illness. She is resistent to two types of antibiotics now because of all her infections. There is a reason, there is an answer, I just have to find it.
My son is 9 yrs old he also had a heart murmur. Doc's said he would grow out of it. When he was young the health dept gave him all his shots at once I was getting him in daycare and he normal doctor could not get him in for his chicken pox shot so I took him to the health department. Without my permission they gave him all his shots that he should have gotten over a period of time till he was 5 yrs of age. He became very Ill. he was sick for about a month almost lifeless, fevers and all. Docs said he would be fine and about a year later is when he started turning blue,Lips fingers and toes, cold to the touch. Docs gave me no incite to this. By the time I got him there he had no signs of anything. They thought I was crazy. He turned blue in the morning after swimming at school, sitting eating. As he grew older I realized with the blue spells he would spike a fever and then his body temp. would drop and he told me he was very cold. I started to warm him at that point and the blues would go away. Had him in er they would send us home untill one doc was releasing us and he had a spell I was so thankful he seen this only because I thought I would get and answer. At children hospital they watched him for 24 hours and sent us home saying i was crazy.I begged them to talk to the er doc that seen this. But they had never took the time to call him. I can say that he does not have them as often anymore he is always cold and in mid summer has a sweat shirt on and I always send a blanket with him were ever he goes even in 100 degree weather. I noticed that drinking milk and being around any one that smoked would worsen the blues. He has been wanting milk lately I let him start drinking it again and he has been swimming and went to a friends house over night and the parents smoked I let them know please don't smoke inside your home if he stays. But im sure they did. Because his blue spells are back. I still have no answers form doctors just that all tests are normal I monitor what he eats and keep him warm after swimming and baths. He stays out of air conditioned rooms and does not go to his friends house if there is smoking. The only answer I have found by doing research is  Reynauds Syndrome.  They say it is rare and no explanation for it. I am so amazed that so many of you are having the same thing going on. After all my years of worry I finally found people with the same issues as mine. I feel that it came from all them shots that he got at a young age. I hope all of you will find an answer soon. I am still searching.  
My  almost 5 yr old has had this happen a few times over the years but just this morning it happened and he has been constipated for a day or two. He had just had a B.M. and when he came out of the bathroom his lips were blue, I agree with your vagal hypothesis. I typed in blue lips and vagal and it brought me to your comment. He also sometimes while running and playing hard will say "my heart is beating really fast" which I thought was odd for a 4 yr old to notice so we took him to his pediatrician and he said "some kids are just more in touch with their bodies"? Got a second opinion and she said she could not hear any murmurs or anything that would concern her. Luckily doesnt happen very often anymore but still worries me.
WOW! It's amazing to me how common this seems to be. Just by chance, I decided to Google her symptoms, and this post came up.  As with many of you, I have an almost 16 month old that frequently has cyanosis in her lips/mouth and slow cap refill in her fingers. It has been happening since she was born (mostly in the morning), but has recently gotten a lot more frequent. A little over a month ago, she began running a low grade fever along with sever head and chest congestion. We made several trips to see her pediatrician. He did seem a bit concerned, but wanted to try to clear up her congestion before getting too worried.She has been on breathing treatments for the congestion, but the cyanosis continues. I also have a 9 year old boy, and this NEVER happened to him. I have just been watching her closely and trying to decide when to contact her pediatrician again.
Hello. My daughter is 20 months and also has had this since birth. My Doctors always said "she will grow out of it because some babies take longer to develop proper circulatory systems". Well, I am seeing less of the hands and feet if not at all anymore, but the lips ALWAYS turn blue when she cries hard or gets out of the water even here in the HOT HOT HOT Florida sun. She was born at 36 weeks and was on oxygen for a few days. She did have RSV at 10 months of age and she has only one kidney, but when she was born they checked her heart and saw no problems. HOWEVER, I am going to her 2 year checkup in April and will request an appt with a pediatric cardiologist....just in case. Let me know if you find anything that could be an answer. This is just odd. My 9 and 8 year olds NEVER had this happen to them either and my 8 year old had "undiagnosed" asthma but was on meds for that from age 6 mo until age 2 and has seasonal allergies, yet never got the blue lips. STRANGE....
My son just turned 12 months and is all of a sudden having the same issues, blue lips cold hands and feet and even a bit blue around his nose. Before he always had really warm almost sweaty feet so it's so weird. We took him to the Children's Hospital and a week later to our family doctor who both told us not to be concerned it's jut poor ciculation. What I did notice is this started right around when he started teething really bad. I know teething can cause some weird symptoms could this be associated with that? My doctor said no but some doctors don't believe a fever or a cold is brought in by teething either. Are any of the other babies teething??
What all your symptoms were is what my doctor said to look for and if he had those go to the ER right away.  My son just started blue lips after naps at daycare and a few at home so after the 6th time I made a doc apt for tomorrow so we will see what he says.  Good luck to you I pray it is never serious.  
Hi I just took my daughter to a heart doctor and he said her heart was fine. He said what the blue lip mean is a sinuistitus. As long as the inside of the mouth  nail beds or chest area was not blue shes fine. She is getting enough oxygen as her stat was 100. My daughter did not have any signs of blue lip until she had a seziure. That disorder goes with a blue lip. But my daughter stays purple under the eyes. And blue on the top lip under the nose. Not the pink area of the lip. So with that begin said if my child has sinus problems it took a heart doctor to figure it out when a peds. or ear nose and throat couldnt. Just keep an eye on him and set him up an appointment with a ent dr. If the ent says its nothing see a heart dr and ask him/her if that is what your child has. Most kids are faired skin and it can be seen better cause there is vessels that are surfaced on fair skin kids. But I didn't take that answer I got a second oppion.
My daughter is 3 yrs old and has been experiencing the same thing for well over a year.  I have only just taken her to A&E today and that was only because she happened to be blue in front of the GP (I didn't believe they would believe me/take me seriously).  I was told the exact same thing as you.  Now looking for answers as I feel I've been totally fobbed off!
My daughter (2yo) had episodes of blue lips and mouth when she was 1.5 yo and I took her to docs - they told me she was fine and it's nothing to worry about, it kinda went and not happened again untill now. It happened 4 times in two weeks span - her mouth just went blue for few minutes and stayed pale for a few hours. The condition is called cyanosis. I observed that it only hapened after she had watermelon. The doctor said it's allergy, but I was not sattisfied cause she did not exibit usual symptoms. So I researched what can caus cyanosis. One of the types of the condition is not caused by chronic disorder, but by NITRITE poisoning! So I googled "nitrite cyanosis watermelon (or food contamination)" and confirmed my fear. Also checked her urine for nitirte traces and the watermelon juice - all posistive. This is dangerous as nitrite poisoning can be fatal or cause lifelong disorder. It gets into food through contaminated ground or water, and is used to preserve foods in supermarkets. I didn't know untill I dug further and furthe into it (how was one to know it as we rely on supermarkets to sell us safe food) Please, I urge all parents to be careful of what they buy and mention to their GPs as mine just said it was allergy... Also read up on it as it is wise to know how to avoid contaminated foods. It is v dangerous for pregnant women and babies under 6 mnth old. It leads to serious blood disorders. So, the ign of just cyanosis and nothing wrong with the kid is most likely nitrite toxicity! I'm buying test strips to keep at home so I can check urine when this happens. Good luck.      
Sorry typo: NITRATES and NITRITES. First is naturally present in plants and our bodies, but when used in fertelisers and foods preservative an overdose can be fatal. There are strict laws on its use. It can contaminate groundwater ie water wells and is the one I meant, however, second nitrite is a toxic form of nitrate after it has undergone some chemical process and equally dangerous.  
when i was a kid i had the blue lips issue.  i was adopted, never breastfed.  my adoptive parents never did anything about it, it was just passed off as a curious thing that the family just teased me about.
.
at age 15, i developed Raynaud's disease, which is a phenomenon of unknown etiology but essentially involves abnormal vasoconstriction in the extremities, causing cold hands & feet (and in some cases lips, nose, ears) due to lack of blood flow (pallor) and cyanosis (hypoxia).  
.
i am now 44 and it has only gotten worse over the years.  i have also developed very high blood pressure - i am not obese, am an ex-smoker, rarely take much by way of alcohol or caffeine.  clearly there is some disruption of the sympathetic nervous system response.  
.
Keep an eye on your kids as they reach adolescence and watch for Raynaud's disease.  it is very annoying and unpleasant and has no cure, and might possibly be involved in other circulatory issues down the road, such as high bp or heart failure.
Thank you for this post.  I have a 10 month old son who recently started displaying symptoms of blue lips, but nothing else.  The first few times it happened I didn't worry much since he was breathing/behaving normally.  However, I started to get concerned after seeing this happen several times over the past 5-10 days.  

Tonight, his lips, fingers, and the heels of his feet were a little blue, too.  Trying to determine weather or not I should call his ped., I decided to google the symptoms and see what I could find.  After reading through multiple posts on the issue, I feel comfortable that what you've described is the most probable cause of his symptoms. (The first few times this occured, I told my partner that I thought our son was probably just cold.) He had just finished dinner and his bath, and I was getting him ready for bed when I noticed his blue-ish color.  After getting him dressed and warmed up a bit, his fingers/toes were back to normal and his lips were pink.  

Reading so many of these earlier posts, I'm thrilled I didn't make a rash decision and rush him to the dr... the tests would have cost me a fortune!  Although, I'm not implying you shouldn't practice due diligence when it comes to the well-being of your child, I'm saddened by the lack of common sense in todays medical professionals.  The tests and bloodwork performed in cases such as these is obscene.  

Anyway, thanks again for the great information.  I'll be monitoring our son very closely to ensure this isn't a more serious problem, but I am confident that he will be just fine...as soon as we turn the heat up in our house.  :)
I have a 16 month old daughter who also has her lips, hands and feet turn deep red, then purple/red, then purple and sometimes even blue/purple. It is her lips, fingers and palm of her hands, toes and bottom of feet. She normally has a lighter olive skin tone to her but lately she has been more ashy. Her father is Turkish/Arab and I am an American Mutt redhead. Not sure if it makes much difference but its a factor. Not only does she turn these colors but she also will be ice cold on her arms and legs and her torso and head will feel normal. She plays and runs around like a normal kid. These symptoms usually occur more when she is active and sometimes when she is sitting but bouncing around like after done eating and ready to get out of her high chair.

The first time I noticed this was back in January and I rushed her to the ER cuz she was blue in the lips and on her hands and feet. By the time we got there the color was more purple but she was not acting normal and seemed lethargic. She had been sick a couple weeks prior to this with pink eye, strep and an ear infection so she still didnt have much for energy and would walk around a bit and then plop down. But on this day she was just sitting there on the floor kinda watching her older sister play but not laughing like usual. The ER doctor just said she was congested and to give her saline in her nose and Motrin for her 104 fever and sent us on our merry way. She suffered for a week with a high fever.

The symptoms slowed some or I just didnt notice cause I was busy with school and home. Well last week Monday I had some friends over and while at the store my friend noticed her hands were really cold. This was around 4:30pm. By 8pm she was blue. I rushed her to the ER and they said she had a fever of 102.5, ear infection and swollen tonsils. When I asked why she turned blue even while being active he said she was SLIGHTLY congested and sent me home. So I have been watching her for the past week and she still has the same symptoms, no change. We are scheduled to see her doctor this afternoon. But reading how many other parents are going through the same thing is not comforting. I have her constantly bundled up and it does not matter whether we are inside or out she is still cold to the touch but she does not seem to be affected by this. Other than this she has been given a clean bill of health by her doctor when we go in for wellness checks. She is only 23Ibs, a little on the shorter side and very much an on the go toddler.

SO like many I am a concerned Mom and want answers. Its not normal for a child to turn purple or blue. If I find anything out I will post here. Hope all the previous parents have found out what is going on with their little ones.
Curious did you ever find out what causes this my so. Is having similar problems and we see a heart dr soo.
My daughter had purple lips after breakfast yesterday morning. I took her to the hospital she was rosy pink by the time we got there. Today morning after breakfast she again had the purple lips. Cal, the doctor. She looked fine. Had her xrays and she was congested on the lower part of her lungs. He thinks it could be that when she coughs the phlegms scatter and plug the bronchi. The doctor gave her  nubalizer to open up her airways. He said if happens again call right away. If the bluish tint is due to her congestion he said it shuld go away by the end of the week.
wow...my 18 month old has been turning blue at random times since the end of March.  She is not cold, not sick, not having breathing problems...her lips, chin cheeks skin around the lips turn blue. She acts completely normal when it happens and it lasts for up to twenty minutes.  It's completely random except for the fact that it always happens in the afternoon.  She was born with a heart defect and was finally diagnosed and had surgery when she was 7 months old. After her surgery, we were told that every thing was normal and there were no other defects.  These blue spells didnt start for almost 8 months after her surgery.  We have an appt with her cardiologist in a month.  Has anyone's little ones been diagnosed with anything?  
I had the same problem with my 3 week old baby, she was really white, blue round the mouth and cold. I went to the on call doctor and was sent home being told I was a worried parent, next day we were in intensive care with her on life surport. Addenbrokes couldnt work out what was wrong we had hundreds of tests nothing came back and was sent home as she made became well again. 4 days later we were back at our local hospital in a&e same unwell symptoms. They found out she has SVT which is when her heart beats to fast , it is controlled with beat a blockers now and when she's 4 she will have a small op to correct it.
Addenbrokes told us to bypass our Gp's as the don't see sick baby's enough and to go straight to a&e where children's dicots are far more experienced.
My daughter is 8 years old.
We just found out that she has an Innocent heart murmur - the doctor told me it will heal by itself and needs no further check ups.
When she's been out for awhile, her lips are blue and very visible.
Is it just because she's cold or would it be the heart?
She complains of chest pain when she's crying as well.
My son was born at 27 weeks and is a twin. He has some minor heart complications but is monitored by the cardiologist and is doing just fine. This weekend ( 17 months old) he had an episode after drinking from his sippy cup where his hands, feet and lips turned dark purple. He was taken to the ER by ambulance but even while he was still purple, his oxygen levels were at 94%.  After blood work, EKG, urine test, chest xray, RSV test and flu tests, everything came back normal.  No answers for why this happened. I believe that the sippy cup is the culprit. I've been giving him a bottle again and he does fine but tried the sippy cup this morning and lips turned blue but his hands and feet were pink.  He has had a small cold so at first I thought maybe he was so stuffed up while drinking  his milk that he wasn't getting enough oxygen but even after sucking his nose before eating from the cup, his lips get blue. I dont know if he just doesn't breathe the same as he did on the bottle or what but with no other answers I really am leaning towards this being the problem. Does anyone else notice this as a possible reason?
This is also what my doctor said. My son's lips tend to turn blue after he drinks cold milk, normally after he wakes up from a nap or sleep. His lips also turned blue when he was in the bath once. I am hoping nothing is seriously wrong. Your post made me feel better. Thanks!