Parenting Expert Forum
help..

Questions in the Parenting Forum are being answered by doctors from MindWorks. Topics include: Behavioral Issues - Discipline, Emotional Development, Family Issues, Recreation, School Issues, Social Development

help..

im a single dad of a 7month old boy. is it possible for him to be spoiled already? if i hold him play with him hes fine the SECOND i put him down, or leave a room he crys so hard eh almost stops breathing i dont know what to do.. please any advice would be great.. i love him to death and hate hearing him cry so i just pick him up when he crys but that means im holding him literatly every second im with him.. anyway to break this habbit?

I applaud you for raising your baby as a single dad, that is hard work! It sounds like you are a great dad and very responsive to his needs. He is a lucky baby as your responsiveness will lead him to be more attached and trusting as he grows.
What you need to know is that he is entering a new phase of development called "separation anxiety". You may find that it is even harder to separate from him now than it was a month ago and that he is afraid of strangers. Know that this is developmentally normal and he will develop the ability to separate from you more easily down the road.
I do advise you to get support from family and friends. Parental burnout is a concern at this phase and it sounds like although you love him dearly, he is also wearing you out. Ask family and friends to help out by watching him while you rest, run errands or just leave the room. These breaks will refresh you and give you the energy you need for day to day parenting. Best of luck.
Dr G
thanks alot.. your feedback really helped me. and i have general anxiety disorder speaking of anxiety so it even puts more fuel on the fire. but this boy is my life so we will make it threw.. thank you.
My daughter is almost 7 months and she does the same thing sometimes. If you run to them every time they start to cry then they have you trained so if you don' t come they will keep crying. I hate to do it to my little girl but I put her in her high chair with some toys and go into the other room. She starts to cry but when she realizes that I am not going to come running she just starts playing with her toys. I can see her but she can't see me. If I come into the room where she can see me she starts to fuss. If you hold him all the time that is what he is going to expect.
A related discussion, Behavior- cries to control was started.