Pediatrics Community
3 year old with leg pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

3 year old with leg pain

My daughter has been complaining of leg pain on and off for about two weeks now.  Yesterday it brought her to tears and again today.  Everytime I ask her where it hurts, she points to either her thigh, knee or calf area.  The pain is intermittent, no swelling that I can see, no fall that I remember.  No other symptoms.  My first initial thought was growing pains, but wouldn't it be in both legs?  And would it bring her to tears?  Also, I thought growing pains were suppose to happen mainly at night.  I was researching on-line and found osteomyelitis.  She did have a severe ear infection about a month ago in which the dr told me she has a blister in her ear it was so bad...could this turn into osteomyelitis?  Any suggestions?
I hope you get a response.  I also have a 3 yr old daughter who will complain of knee pain. It was only happening at night time when she was extremely tired or if it woke her up in the night it was on a night when she went to bed really late.  So we try very hard to keep her schedule regular to avoid this, but it's been happening more frequently lately.  Just this morning she complained of it in the morning which included her foot.  My email is pitche_jones***@****.  Thanks :)
Hi i also have a three year old boy who cries almost every other night because one of his legs hurt. Hes had this for almost six months were he will just wake up crying and telling me it hurt he wants me to massage his whole leg.  his cry is getting worst, hes trying to sleep but he cant and he moves around a lot when his leg hurts he rubs them against the covers and bed.  The doctor told me its because he is growing but i also wonder.  only in one leg? its like i have to give him medicine everytime.  
Wow! This seems to be a occuring problem with 3 year olds.  My son who turned 3 in January has been complaining since June 08'.  He had getxrays in both legs; normal.  Doctor now wants to get blood tests to check for cystic fibrosis.  My son cries in the night, the pain wakes him ; through the day he runs and moves around like nothing.  Well, hopefully results come back normal.

veronica
my just turned 4yr old has complained about his legs for about six months now, his les do go in alittle and he trips over his feet all the time. the Dr's didn't even run test yet said he would out grow it but it's been over a year and nothing but it's getttin worst, thats when he started to complain about pain. i just don't know what to do any more.
My daughter will be turning 3 in November and has been complaining of right knee pain for about 6 months now... only at night.  The doctors first thought it was just growing pains, but because it is always in the one knee they decided to do bloodwork today.  Nothing worse then waiting for test results on your child.  Hopefully we will know more by Tuesday.
my daughter is 7 years old and has leg pain on the underside of her knee,it usualliy happens on one leg.she, had it probably since she was 3 or 4 also.doctor told me it was probably growing pains and if its not constant not to worry about it.thats kind of hard to do when she still has it and wakes up crying.i'm going to take her back to a different doctor and see what he says.
My now 6 yr. old daughter has been complaining about her legs since she could talk. its beena long 6 yrs. the pain brings on severe pain and she crys uncontroably for about 10-15 min. I bring out the heating pad and then lay beside her almost 3 times a week. Weve had blood tests done, nothing... I just don't know what to do. After 6 years of complaining I wish I could tell her why its hurting. I hate to see her in tears so much.
My daughter is 4 now but she's been complaining about pain in her knee for 6 months now....only at night. I told her doctor about it and she told me it was because she was growing but im worried cause she crys everytime she gets those pains.....she hasn't got any tests....the doctor says to give her motrin for the pain. What can this actually be????
I also have a 3 yr old who complained of leg pain.  His mostly occured with a lot of walking.  We happened to be looking for soccer shoes one day and he put his feet on a heat sensor pad thing and the guy at the store said he had flat feet.  We took him to the Podiatrist who confirmed it.  Fit him with custom inserts for his shoes and now he is pain free!
as a child i use to suffer with leg pain in my shins, i was told that these were growing pains.
My four year old son has been complaining of leg pain for about four months now. We at first thought it was growing pains since thats what his brother had and it went away then we thought well maybe he just wants attention so his daddy can carry him. We he began to cry about his leg hurting during play time and times where daddy wasn't around to hold him my husband and I thought well maybe it could be serious or there really is something wrong. Took him to the doctor..he happen to have a small scratch on his leg from falling off his new birthday bike a few days before the doctor appointment and it's always so nice how the PA's want to question abuse like how did he get this then look at the parents..Anyhow she ordered an X-Ray which came back with nothing...I was told to come back in a couple of weeks if it continued which it did so I went back...not I have a MRI on Monday and some blood work to make sure it's nothing more...I am just praying it is not...a sign of leg pain I heard could be leukemia.
Ask your doctor if it could be this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_synovitis

My daughter has it.
Did anyone ever get any answers?  My son has been complaining of leg pain for about two weeks now, and he is three as well.  There are no injuries, and no swelling.  We are taking him to the doctor, but I didn't know if anyone had any answers in the meantime.  
it sounds like growing pains my son has had them on and off from about 5 years old.
My 3 year old has been complaining of pain in her legs for over a year now. At first it was always just at night time, especially after a long day of running around. However it is now happening during the day and is not just her legs, the pain is usually in her knees, feet and sometimes her arms and hands and she usually has a limp associated with it.  She wakes up 4 or 5 times a week, crying out in pain. I try just using a heatpack which helps to get her mind off the pain and sometimes go back to sleep, however the pain does not go away and she always wakes up a second time, worse, which is when I have to give her panadol. She is always so tired during the day now becuase of her restless nights. She also sleepwalks so that doesn't help the situation.
I took her to the doctor last year who ran some blood tests. They came back mostly fine but she had really low iron levels which the doc said didn't effect her pain. He put it down to 'growing pains' as I had them when I was young and sometimes still get similar pain. He said that children who are double jointed usually get growing pains (my daughter has very flexible hips).
I wish there was something I could do to make these pains go away for her. I read a post before about a boy with flat feet getting growing pains, and my daughter does seem to trip a lot so maybe thats an avenue to explore. I will definately be taking her back to the doctors as this is getting out of control.
You can check out this link:
http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Doctor-About-Fibromyalgia/dp/B001Q3M66G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280291607&sr=8-1
If the link doesn't work, its called, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia: The Revolutionary Treatment That Can Reverse the Disease" by Amand & Marek

I read this book.  There is a chapter on children.  Very helpful.
my 3 1/2 year old has chronic knee pain. mostly in the morning and throughout the day, he always sleeps through the night. At first i thought he just wanted carried, then we forced him to walk at the fair and the next day his knees were very red and swollen with edema.  Feel bad i thought he was looking for attention. (dr appt. tomoro) my other son has toxic synovitis. it affects the synovial fluid around the hip, not the knee.  This occurs way more than i thought in three year old. he is also very innactive. doesnt run or play, would rather just watch tv or look at books. i thought it was because he was small for his age and couldnt keep up.
my daughter has same issue.... speaking with my mom my sister which is 25 now did the same when she was young(2-4yrs old) and took her to the doctor and was told that cheap shoes do not support the arch and that she may be flat  footed. turns out my mom bought rebooks and nikes and it solved he issues. sometimes its not medical attention kids need but a better shoe to support the arch of her feet.
My four year old gets leg ;pain, and it is so painful that he really cries out in the night. It seems to be in the night mostly. I rub his leg, and he mostly
cries in the night. It is in his left calf. Do you think this is just leg pain, and
not something to be really concerned about? He was waking up in the night,
and he was telling us that his leg really hurts. Should we take him back to
his family Dr. or just see if it goes away on its own.'He has one other problem that we are really concerned about: He can't make his regular
Alphabet letters. Should we take him to a specialist on learning problems, or do you think he will be able to print in due time? Thank you so much.
I have had pain that feels more in my leg bones from my knee to just above my ankle, usually only in one leg at a time not very often both hurt at the same time. Pain usually came at night after been active with sports or a lot of walking during the day. My mom took me to our family doctor after a few weeks of the pain and he told her it was growing pains, no tests were done. I am now 24 years old no longer growing and my legs still hurt however now the pain is also brought on when my feet get cold from walking on cold surfaces and in the winter if I don't make sure to wear snow pants. The sensitivity to cold didn't start until I was about 19.

My mom used to put rub A535 on my lower leg and it usually took all the pain away, you can pretty much buy that anywhere and its fairly cheap.

I remember being 3 years old crying every night from the pain and my mom worrying what was causing it, so I would try Rub A535 it really helped me and I'd get a second opinion if your doctor says growing pains.

P.S still don't know what causes the pain.
last night my little girl did this freaked me out becouse i dont see anything doesnt look like she hurt her self in anyway and this isnt the first time she has woken up in the middle of the night crying tears rolling in pain any one know why??? my email is ***@****
Sorry you cannot put your e-mail here.it doesn't show up. Has she injured her self ,where is the pain located,if it is her leg it may be cramp and that does hurt, massage and a cold compress may help,  are there any other symptoms ,nausea, diarreha if the pain continues take her to see a doctor .  
My 6 year old son will wake up in the middle of the night screaming from knee pain.  Usually it's only in one knee, but sometimes it both.  I give him Motrin and he stops screaming after 15 minutes and goes back to sleep.  Sometimes his knee is swollen and squishy (like it's liquid filled).  I've taken him to the doctor multiple times and the doctor is stumped, but says that its not the same type of pain as leukemia (because that is every day, and lasts all day--where as my son's pain is sporadic and he's fine the next morning.)  He did want me to check if the knee is red and hot--a sign of arthritis--but it's not.  I ended up getting rid of all his cheap shoes and now only let him wear crocs, and stride rights.  We've only had one night of pain and that was a day that he wore rain boots all day.  I'm not saying yet that it was all about the shoes, but the longer we go, it's looking like it.  A much better solution that some.....
My son has complained of leg pain (mostly at night) for years. After many test, it came to light that he was flat footed. He was fitted with raised insoles, and it has been like a miracle! He only ever gets an odd pain, ususally when he is growing out of his insoles.
Get your childs feet checked, not their legs!
My son is also 6 years old and he too has had this problem since he was 2 years old.    It happens a few nights per month in both legs and i rub his legs and give him tylenol.  I rub and hold him till he falls asleep and the episodes usually last about 30 to 60 minutes.   I too took him to the dr. and they said that it was growing pains.  My older boy, who is 21 use to have the same problem and it went way at age 12.  
Research Guillain- Barre Syndrome.  
hi my son is three he also complains of leg pains in one or sometimes both legs it happens anytime but mostly at night he cries and moves about a lot i give him parcetamol for the pain and massage his legs and after about 15 mins hes usually ok in the day hes fine runs around no problems im so frustrated that i cant help but it breaks my heart when he crys
Its all to do with the muscles and tendons that are too tight for the growing'long' bones.3-5 years old get it the 8-10 year old can have pains..Is there any redness, tenderness to touch or limitation of movement.?
hi did any one get any answeres other than growing pains my lil boy turned 3 in july and last week he complained about this and then this morning again he woke up n his knee is really hurting limping n all normally he runs around today he cant even walk without being in pain he slept in my bed last night and i noticed he was constantly moving around and crouching his legs i dont think he has flat feet cause some one above said if u put nikes on them then they stop being in pain my son has only ever had nikes and sandles but doesnt wear sandles often
I eventually took my son to a podiatrist, and was told he has flat feet.  He was fitted for orthodics to wear in all of his shoes.  The podiatrist mainly looked at his feet when he was standing up and saw that his big toe had a large space between the toe next to it.  he said this this showed that the tendon was being pulled each time he stood, and then with extra activity it gets overused.  It also caused him to be a little knock-kneed.  I would make an appointment with a podiatrist...it's not going to hurt, and it just might help!
I am too at my wit's end. :( My daughter's leg pains started around the age of 3 & seem to be getting more frequent since she has turned 5. I was just looking for advice, encouragement, answers, anything. Is it safe to give Motrin or Tylenol two to three times a week? Rubbing the legs do not seem to soothe her for long during the night....
My doctor told me to use motrin whenever my son had leg pains.  Tylenol doesn't really help, so I would sick to motrin.  My son's leg pains also have been getting worse with age, and I feel like it's because is is becoming more active.  Take notice of what she does during the day--we started noticing trends like when he did a lot of jumping or running (especially soccer where they change directions a lot) he would have issues at night.  On rainy days where he was pretty sedentary, he'd sleep straight through....that's when we started realizing it was a foot thing.
Our son had severe leg pains, low iron levels, and loose stools. Turns out he has a dairy and egg allergy. A dairy allergy can affect child differently - for some it lowers their immune system, brings on a cold, and gives them dark rings around their eyes. For some it is the leg pains, usually often at night. It is apparently toxins in the bloodstream from the dairy proteins. This may not be what your child's problem is, but just in case, it is worth checking out. Oh - and the 'tests' for dairy allergy don't work. The only way to tell is to cut out all dairy, egg, butter, whey powder, casein (a milk protein), etc.  
I think it may be safe to give the motrin/tylenol but you should check with her Doctor.. they do say in research that the long bones growing cause the aching that children experience
My 3 year old son sometimes complains of pain in his leg during the night. Most of the time it the pain is in his right leg (in the calf area).The pain is usually worse when he has had a long day with lots of running around while playing.  When he was 2 years old, he used to wear shoes that help form the arch in his foot. We thought that the arches in his foot had already formed and so did not worry about it too much after that. However , he recently started complaining of pain in his calf to the point that he had difficulty walking. After reading some of the posts, I decided to have another look at his arches. I noticed that he is still quite flat footed. Guess I will go today to get another pair of the shoes for his arch formation. Will make a trip to the doc if the pain gets worse. Thanks for the tips.
Look up Legg calve Perthes disease
my 4 year old has pain in his legs at night also. Since he was 2 years old he sleeps in my bed but I noticed he is constantly pushing his feet up against me almost pushing his toes back like a cat does when he kneeds. When his pain occurs he tenses his legs like you would to make a fist and hold it like that for twenty minutes at a time. What is this?
that sounds like cramp ..can be very painful, I would ask the doctor something maybe causing it, does he take a supplement VitC VitBComplex  sometimes they can be defficient..it could also be growing pains .
My 3yo son has the same pains only at night. I give him children tylenol (aspirin free). That usually makes him feel better. The pediatrician said that it was growing pains. The production of new bone and the epiphyseal plate at the end of the long bones making room to grow. If he's calculated to be tall then he should have this pain for a while and notice if his legs begin to bow which will indicate a growth deformity or vitamin deficiency.
My three-year-old daughter complains almost daily (for about a week now). It seems only to be in one leg and it does make her limp for a few steps until she works through it and then seems normal again. She hasn't ever cried, but it is unsettling to see a child struggle just to walk because of pain. She is very tall for her age and I wonder if it is growing pains or something else. She usually points to the back of her knees when I ask where the pain is, but she has also pointed to her ankle. She is my third child and my other two never complained about this kind of thing.  I am a breast cancer survivor and carried her in-utero through chemo and a masectomy, so I am worried about possible side efffects, etc. Calling the doctor today.
My 3 yr old daughter is waking up alot at night with consistent pain in just one of her legs.. same here i assumed growing pains and have been giving her motrin for the pain.. but its concerning me more and more each night. And i have 3 other children that never had that happen. Doctor wont see her until january 30th :( so wat should i do? I dont want to keep giving her meds all the time. Any suggestions or feedback please email me thank you. ***@****
.  All you can do give her pain meds until you see a doctor its a shame she cannot be seen before the 30th.Jan try some massage aswell maybe a warm compress would help.Its hard to see them in pain .I can understand how you feel , have you tried to get an appt with another Doctor who will see a child in pain ..what about going to a Hospital ER would that work ..
My almost 6 year old son had this problem at 3.5/4 years old.  I went to the doctor several times, xrays, even got referred for physical therapy.  HIs pain kept getting worse and worse.  On July 4th , 2011 he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia!!! DO NOT just brush this off as growing pains!!! Thats what his Dr. did and if they had just done a simple blood test, we may have known two years sooner!!
It's possibly Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS). My mom has it and I think my two year old has it. They want their legs aggressively massaged (my mom used to use a rolling pin on her legs). She also said taking a shower or walking helps.
my daughter had osteomyelitis in 2008 and with it she ran a fever of 106-107 and had stiffening in the joint area...my guess growing pains as my 3 almost 4 year old complains of leg pain as well
My 3 year old daughter has the same problems.  It started with her leg, then her knee,  and tonight she complain about her foot.  She wants me to massage them every time she has pain and it seems to make it better so she can go back to sleep.  She doesn't sleep well and I notice the moaning and moving at night.  She gets up all through the night because of this.  She just turned 3, but it started when she was 4 months from turning three.  Haven't taken her to the doctor yet wanted to research and see if it was normal first.  She is very active!!!  Just didn't know if it is something I should be concerned about.
My daughter was diagnosed with juvenile arthritis. I suggest being checked for this
Leg pains in a 4 month old needed looking at  though she is now 3 it may be aswell to have her checked out especially if its waking her in the night enough to get her up
I can't believe how so many kids are experiencing the same awful leg/knee pain. My 3.5 year old daughter just started complaining about having legs pains in the groan area (not the bone) yesterday. She limps and couldn't walk straight and was in so much pain. Massaging the area and with some cuddling made her happier until she had to walk again. So I did some research and thought maybe it's "Growing Pains" like everyone said.

After reading everyone's comments here on this forum, there were a few things I want to try to help cure my daughter's pain quickly. I was convinced that it was Growing Pains or even the shoes she wears. Then I realized I wasn't diligent about giving her her daily dose of Iron Drops. I also thought about the foods she eats. We (mom and dad) eats healthy every night. But she prefers her chicken nuggets, fish sticks, pizza, white rice only, yogurt and milk. Recently, she's been drinking lots of milk. I just read that drinking too much cow's milk is a common cause of iron deficiency in young children (symptoms: Cracked lips, Muscle pain, brittle fingernails, etc)(read links below). So I've concluded that she is Iron-Deficient. Now, I’ll have to somehow convince or force her to eat good food (rich in iron foods) along with her iron-drops.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that I've nailed the problem. This is only day 2 for my daughter. I hope this is the culprit of the pain and an end for many little sufferers. I believe, it's what you eat or don't eat that is the cure (not medicine like the doctor ordered or the shoe).
Opps, here are the links..... If you want more information, here are a few links:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/iron-deficiency-anemia-symptoms
http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/iron-deficiency-anemia-children/overview.html
Good posts misseng I think there is much going on that is environmental it is a fact 20% of children are sicker than they were a few years ago .
Thanks! To all... my daughter was all better after taking her iron drops and forcing her to eat meat/steak for the first time. I hope this help many you.
Okay, I do have a question though regarding iron drops.  I had thought you had to be very careful with iron in kids and that is why if they take too many 'multi vitamins'----  you called poisen control due to iron overdose.  Do you do a ratio to weight?

I'm interested in this as my son has sensory issues and eating meat is a difficult task.  I attempt to sneak spinach into things like smoothies and spaghetti sauce but am sure he doesn't get enough.  He doesn't have too many pains as stated her but will occasionally.  I always chalked it up to his active lifestyle (playing football ----  he's 8, and jumping for two hours on the trampoline, etc.)  but maybe there is a nutritional reason????

anyway, I was curious about the iron issue as that is in my pedi book as to something to be careful with-----  as in too much.  How do you dose it?
I don't really dose it. I know she was lacking it when she was having leg problems. Prior to her leg pain, she was sick and drank lots of milk only. As I read later on that milk depletes iron in your body. I'm not trying to O-D her with iron. But I want her to get at least a recommended amount of iron in her body. As for eating, she has poor eating habits in which we are not forcing her to eat everything we eat (which is healthy foods).

BTW: If you think your child is iron deficit, there is an Iron Deficiency Anemia test that the pediatrician can give your child. I believe its a blood test.

As for your son's leg? I'm not sure. It can be nutritional reasons.
I was just curious.  My boy has sensory integration disorder so . . . he is a seriously picky eater.  We do a multi vitamin and I sneak things into his diet but I always wonder if he is getting enough of the right things.  I'm guessing probably not.  I really hadn't thought about iron until your posts.  I'll have to look at what the symptoms of anemia are and the leg pain is interesting too.  My son does get pains but the two things that make him hard are that he is a sensory seeker so he is constant motion/ does wacky tihngs that SHOULD hurt and then he is also over sensitive to some pain.  So, it is really hard for me to get a handle on what is going on sometimes.  He doesn't have night time leg pain though (whew!) but I'm going to watch things with him more closely.  I guess I had never really considered how iron deficiency could play a role.  Interesting.  

and I was inquiring about how you dose it because I think that is one that you watch for overdose if they take too many vit. with iron.  I just don't know what is the right amount and what would be too  much.  

Thanks for the info!!
My daughter is now 11years old, she has been suffering from pains in her legs & knees since she was 8years old, i've had her to 3 different hospitals & 6 different doctors, the pain is so bad sometimes she wakes up screaming, she walks in a weird way now & sometimes complains that the pain is in her lower back...she has been for MRI Scans, Xrays & CT Scans, Blood tests...one doctor told me her ligaments were too loose (he said stop all exercise for a year), the physiotherapist said her ligaments were too tight (she said not enough exercise), then im told its something to do with her feet, her feet look flat but she does have an arch which you cant see because her ankles are not lined up with her feet, they gave her hospital made insoles for her shoes in which it isnt making any difference, i'm at my wits end, i've been told it could be growing pains & i also got asked if i think it could be in her head, does she seek attention...that remark made me really angry!! When she is ill, sickness & there is no fever she starts sleep walking & having conversations with me in her sleep that she doesnt remember a thing the next day...example, she came to me one night telling me to come see the thing on the screen, i replied to her what thing & she got very frantic & made me go to her bedroom to look, the whole time she is sleeping, this went on for 20mins, very random & weird conversations i had with her...when i talk to the doctor about it they dont seem to want to take me seriously, they look at me like im nuts! I dont know what else to do for her...at this moment in time, she isnt well, no fever, just complaining about  sore head & throat, she's in my bed sleeping but has been up 6 times already, i went to get her cause i heard her crying in the hallway, when i went out she told me to go away as she was walking into her bedroom, i spoke to her gently & told her she needed to go back to bed & she replied with but i had switch off the phone or it was going to get me....these episodes have been happening since she was 6yrs old and i dont know if its linked with the pain in her legs, i need some serious help here....i dont know what else to do for her, i feel so useless when she is like this!! I dont want her walking about in pain any longer & this sleep problem she has, i dont know if you would call it sleep walking, night terrors or hullcinations but it has to stop & she needs help badly.
Go for a second opinion then tell them what you have told us here and insist they do more tests, A mother's gut tells you all is not well with your child so you have to persist till you get answers to this pain she is having ,good luck
My 3 year old great grand son conplains of leg pain almost every day.  He is frequetly asking to be carried because f it .. Does anyone know what is going on?
I have a 3 year old that since he was able to talk he had leg pains (calf) especially when he plays a lot like running and jumping...He also limps a  little especially when his barefooted..I read a lot of your postings and I was concerned. I took him to see our family doctor (she is awesome) she ask me if he had any fever (no fever) and she also asked me when does the pain happen and what kind of activities is he doing..Well the pain is always at night sometimes during the day...It gets bad when he runs a lot...Our Doctor examined him and did some range of motion on his hips, legs, ankles and feet. Then she made him walk around the room barefooted. She said he has flat feet and needs to wear shoes with an arched and good insole.  She told me to blame it on one of my relatives..I did notice that this only happens when he wears his flat shoes (Vans)...I hope it helps someone..Don't ever hesitate to take your kids to the doctor...If he gets worst I would go again and ask to get xrays, MRI etc...
My 3 year old has woke up twice in the past month saying his leg hurts and limping when he walks.  Everytime he takes a steph he says it hurts. At first we thought it was just asleep but it didn't go away. I don't know wether to take him to the doctor or wait it out. Reading the other stories, its odd that it mainly happens in 3 year olds. I wonder if it really is growing pains since it's so common? OR do I need to take him to the doctor?
Hello everyone,

I'm a mom of a 4 year old boy who also had this happening - I hope your kids all get some relief from their pain.

Well, in my son's case and likely in your children's as well - it's a combination of growing pains (natural at those ages) and since their bodies ARE growing, it is extremely likely to also be iron/folic acid/magnesium deficiencies, other vitamins, etc.

Some foods, like dairy products, INHIBIT the absorption of iron and other vitamins. Unfortunately, you'll need a blood test which if you prep your child properly, will only hurt for about 10 seconds when they draw the blood sample. They can run an iron and TIBC, serum ferritin test and other vitamin test for deficiency. But according to several pediatrician's I've spoken to, it's totally natural for kids to be low on iron because their bodies use up so much. By extension, it's also very natural for them to be vitamin deficient because they simply are not going to get all their nutritional needs from food.

Your little teaspoon or child's vitamin pill just does not have enough vitamins in it. If you REALLY start reading the labels on your kids vitamins, you'll see how little there are in there. Please check the label on the bottle and read up on exactly what you are giving or not giving them. Don't be fooled by "KID Vitamin Brands", check around.

Although there is no true recommended daily allowance, just guides, I have increased my son's vitamin levels during periods of obvious growth, like more sleep, more appetite, leg pains. Remember the bone marrow is where the red blood cells come from, which fuels the whole body. When the body is not getting enough iron, it starts "squeezing" it out of the bones.

I give him 3 doses with each meal for up to a week or 2 weeks at a time, then I go back down to 2 doses. After doing this, he really started feeling better. Honestly, I'd rather give him more vitamins than pain pills.

It's also important to give the vitamins at the right time and not with certain foods, etc, that can block absorption.

Caution about iron though, it's possible to overload, so make sure to get separate iron vitamins and not the multi-vitamins with iron. Also, make sure to get screened for THALASSEMIA - too many people have this blood disorder and don't know about it and don't get the kids checked.

Good luck to all and last but not least - I'M NOT A DOCTOR, Please see your child's doctor and bring up your concerns. But do insist on getting a blood test or vitamin PANEL test to see what your child's deficiencies are, if any. Sometimes, IT IS MORE THAN JUST GROWING PAINS.

Best,

GS
I had a family members boy approximately 4 years old at the time and he was complaning of leg pain in one leg.  Doctors could really find a reason.  Upon seeing a really good local doctor he checked the boy over and said to immediately get him checked in to a hospital and have a specialists come check his blood levels.  Sure enough,  he had a rare blood disease (a lukemia or cancer in the blood. )  After many transfustions and long longs stays in the ICU he came home.  Some restrictions applied and had to take medication on time everyday he did come into remission,.  And is now age 11 and is doing very well.  Still in remission with no more pain.  We were told it was a good thing we did get the proper diagnosis before too much more time passed.  It is a diffucult sympton to disgnosis and because of the rare cases reported it sometimes is overlooked.  Hope is all we have and every bit of information shared is another piece of hope.  I send all my wishes and prayers for full recoveries of the children having pain.  Thank you.
get a blood test fast.  This will show why the leg pain.  There are a few disgnosis out there but all of them are very serious and should not be taken as just growning pains.  There have been cases of rare blood disease lukemis.  I pray not for every child.  But every chenge and every hope is all we have and should also looked into.  Blood tests reval alot but be sure to include the rare blood cases reported.  Its becomming more common.
I AM GOING TO THE DOCTOR TOMMORROW AND CHECKING IF SHE IS FLAT FOOTED IF SHE IS HOPEFULLY THAT WILL STOP HER PAINS,AND I WILL TEXT BACK TO LET YE ALL NO TO HELP ALL OF THE CHILDERN BY
My son (10 years old going on 11 in april)got a cold with a bit of throat infection around Sunday we took him to the doctor on Tuesday got coughing med and antibiotic, he took them tues wed and twice today, I stopped giving him the med tonite cause he's been complaint about not being able to move his right hand and right foot and was crying just now trying to fall asleep, it's so painful to see my little one in pain and I am not able to help him. I talked to the doctor he said to bring my son in in the morning... Anyone knows what might be the problem here? Thank you!
Hello i have a 4 year old that has had continued leg pains now for almost 2 years,we have seen lots of doctors and he actually seen a sleep doctor and did a sleep study wondering why he was up cryimg at night and they discovered he has borderline limb movement disorder and he has low iron,so they have had him on iron liquid once a day and it has helped..maybe talk to your peditrician about these things..Hope this helps out!!!!!!!!
My niece is almost 3 and shes has been wakeing up at 3 and 4 in the morning screaming her head off and says her legs hurt i know they are growing pains and what to give her what i dont understand is why she says she wants milk? she wants milk when this happens is it normal for her to want milk with these pains and is it safe? Please help this has been going on for 3 months and we cant figure out what to do someone please tell me something
Take your kids to the doctor...get off the internet and go to the doctors...really waking up to a crying child for months....listen to them...they are telling you somethings wrong!
My 4yr old just starting having leg pain last night and it prompted my morning search. After reading all the post I would agree that from a physiological standpoint it may be iron-deficiecy along with having some growing pains. I don't know that for sure, however, with the talking in her sleep and saying "weird" things I want to say that there are people/children who are "super sensitive" to the spirit realm. It is real and some people are more sensitive than others. I had some experiences when I was a child that I didn't understand and didn't have adults around me that did either. As I grew older I began to do my own searching and studying and learned more and began to understand my gift/abilities and then also was able to connect with mentors and people who shared the same abilities. Depending on your spiritual understanding/affiliation you may be able to connect her with someone to help her, or you may not even know where to begin. I would suggest first and foremost that you monitor what she watches on TV and listens to as far as music because they are "gateways" to our spirit. Everything that's animated isn't sweet and good and some adult shows that seem like they're "not that bad" may not be good for her because of her heightened senses. The real reality whether people believe or not is that there are people who see and hear what others may not (prophets, seers, dreamers, psychics, witches, wizards, etc.) all of these are not "bad" but with any gift/talent it can be used to manipulate/exploit others for one's own gain (monetary or other gain).  Be sensitive, examine what I am saying, and do your own due diligence, but do realize that a medical doctor cannot diagnose a spiritual matter. I hope I haven't totally freaked you out, but have shed some light on something that you still had not gotten answers for. I am glad to answer any more specific questions for you if I can.
So my daughter is 3 years old and pretty small for her age. She's been getting these pains and at first it was on her foot, we thought it was because she had a flat foot. When we went to the doctors they said the flat foot would just go away. Then it started moving to her leg and it was always at night, my grandparents, aunts, uncles, parents they all said you get pains when you walk around barefoot especially when the floors are cold and my daughter always, always, always takes off her socks and shoes. I blamed it on that. But now we make sure that she, at the very least, has on socks. Yet still the pain won’t go away. Also she is really clumsy there is not one day that goes by where she won’t end up hurting herself. Plus she has been doing exercises with me like squats and running, the stuff that she can so you see she is a very active girl. Now she came home saying her thigh is hurting and she's been crying more I thought it was the exercises or just wanting to be a brat but I can see it's really hurting her. The only reason I haven't taken her to the doctor's yet is because right away I feel like they think it's abuse but I have an appt. next week. Please, I just want to have some type of reassurance so if there are any answers just let me know... or is this just one of the scares every parent has to go through?
I was searching for the leg pain for my son and then i came across your comment and totally believe it can i connect with you if i want to know more about it. Pls email me at ***@****
hi my son was born at 39 weeks and weighed 4lb 10 oz and no i didnt smoke or drink during my pregnancy it was because i had a manchester repair and there was no where for my baby to stretch out, but now he is 6yrs i love him very dearly but is a very daring child at bedtimes if i do manage to get him to sleep great but most of the time its a disaster, he suffers with bad cramps in his knees for years, i took him everywhere and they say give him calpol, i know where i would love to stick that calpoll, he is waiting to be seen by physochologist to see has he adhd which im pretty sure he has and help with that would be great anyone getting similar circumstances???? would love to meet someone even simular to what im going through just for a message or two
My daughter is six and has the same problem. She wakes up screaming uncontrollably. Often takes me ten minutes just yo calm her enough to find out where the pain is coming from.    I massage/ elevate her feet and give her a pain reliever (sometimes).
Several doctors have told me there is no such thing as growing pains and told me to monitor the activity as that could be the reason she is in so much pain when in a relaxed state.  
Also, changed her shoes to ones that fit properly and offer support...we bought a decent pair of runners for school/home and now I notice she wakes up with foot pain only after a day of wearing uggs, crocs, or sandals.  
Try switching your child's shoes for a few weeks.  
My son started complaining of leg pains when he was three he would wake at night screaming in pain and sometimes it would even happen during the day and in the morning when he woke he also suffered with night sweats, we took him to the doctors and she sent him for blood tests (she was thinking leukaemia) he did have slightly odd results in his kidney function It was working harder than it should for his age but she said it wasn't a problem. she then referred him to a pediatrition and he noticed he was flat footed and also tested him for hypermobility which he found that he also had this accounted for all of his aches and pains especially at night as the reason for the pain was the muscles tightening so the best thing to do is to massage them and give calpol. My son was then sent to a physio to get tested on how hypermobile he was on the beighton score, it turned out he was a 7/9 which means he is hyper mobile in most of his joints. This is not a bad thing it just means he is more flexible than other children and needs a lot more exercise than most as the more the sit and relax the more the muscles tighten which is what causes the pain. since his diagnosis he has been doing a lot better with the pain he does lots of physical activities such as swimming, gym, Horse riding, Ice skating soft play etc the more exercise he does the least pain he is in!! he is now 5 and has not had to go back to the doctors or physio. I have noticed lately that my daughter has also started complaining of leg pain saying they hurt inside although I am pretty sure it is because she is hypermobile too as it runs in families and the physio did check her and said she is more than likey to have it, I am going to get her checked by the doc's as well just to be sure that it is nothing else. Take a look at this link http://hypermobility.org/help-advice/kids-teens/ and see if it helps and get your doc's to check for HYPERMOBILITY    
my 1yr niece have fluid on the knee she cant crawl and the only way she can crawl is like and ape please its been going on for months what should I do