Pediatrics Community
7 week old eating too much?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

7 week old eating too much?

Is it normal for a 7 week old baby to want to eat every hour? He's gaining lots of weight (born 6# 14oz now over 10 pounds) and has at least one wet diaper every 2 hours. He's only been breastfed since he was born. I've tried a pacifier but he won't take one.
have him checked for reflux---even if he doesnt spit up--he might be comfort eating, it usually peeks around 6 weeks.  if you go to infantreflux.org, you can read all about it and see if he fits, and if he does, as long as you faithfully follow all the tricks, medicine is not required.
I agree - sounds like comfort eating. Breastfed babies normally eat every 2-3 hours. My son was eating every 30-45 mins. He had reflux. Try pulling him away from the breast right before he is done and putting the pacifier in. That is how I got my son to finally take it.
My son ate like a pig, when he was born... he was breast fed and had to be changed to bottle, becuase he ate like a pig. He would completly empty both breasts and then eat a 1-2 10-12 oz bottles at one feeding. Then by the time he was like 9 weeks old we had to add baby cereal to his formula to fill him up. MY friend had a baby the same way, along with her sister. They were all boys. None of them had reflux. They just ate like pigs. LOL My son was 7lbs 12 oz at birth and by the time he was 2 months old he was just about 15 pounds. He was huge. He still is and still eats like a pig.. he is 8 now.