Bowel impaction
If a two year old had bowel impaction and cystitis to the extent that they came very close to dying, could that be a sign of neglect or could a parent indeed not be aware that the child was becoming that ill?
Without a lot more information,  its hard to tell,  lorjacks.  

If you suspect the child is being neglected,  do you have a legal right to view medical information or speak to the doctor?  Are you a parent,  or grandparent?

If this child was treated in a hospital,  I think it would have been reported to CPS if the doctor suspected neglect.

Are there any other signs of neglect,  like is the child chronically hungry or unclean?

Best wishes.  I hope you are able to find out answers.
The child was me. This was back in 1963. Do I have the right to get my own medical records? The librarian at the hospital says they most likely still have them.
Thank you.
lorjacks - wow,  I didn't expect that!!

This was one incident so long ago - you must have other memories that will help you decide if you were neglected growing up.  

Unless,  I guess,  as a result of this you were placed in foster care and weren't raised by your parents?

Best wishes in your search for information.   I would certainly think you are entitled to your own medical records,  but I don't know for sure.  Ask!