I had twins on oct 4th,2012. I also am 40 years old with lopus and I've been on methadone for 8 years and when my twins were born they waited 7 days and put them on methadone which was not the plan I had in mind for them (I Wonted them to try something like phenobarbital or some easier narcotic but no they put them on methadone once they weighed 5 pounds I took them home on a small dose of methadone once a day they went for there 2 month check up and the doctor said they have out grown there dose just half it than take them off I done this for 2 days and my babies ran a high fever and didn't eat or sleep so I called the er and explained to them the situation and they said these babies need to be detoxes slowly is this correct and what should I do? Need an answer quick please! Thanks a very concerned mom of twins!!!!
Thank you guys for your advice but when I called the doctor they said they couldn't get me in until 3 weeks due to New Years and Christmas and the same for a new one today is the last dose of methadone they will get scared to death!!!!!! Does anyone think if I took them to the er they would review there files and give them this medicine I've drove myself crazy!!! Blaming myself and hoping that my little angels Go Threr ANY WITHDRAWALS! I can't understand why I was told my children out grew there dose I'm sooooo disgusted by this! Any other suggestions???
Oh no, I do not think a pediatrician can tell a person in your situation that they will have to wait 3 weeks. You really need a doctor's advice. Is this a clinic of some sort?? My doctor's office takes calls for acute situations EVERY day and has time in their day to see people that need seen immediately. I've never even had to wait a day to see a doctor when my kids needed one. It is different than setting up an appointment. You call and say you are trying to ween your INFANTS off of methadone and it's not going well and you need to be seen TODAY. They have to have acute situation appointments as all doctors do.
I have no suggestions for you other than weening them slowly as stated. You need the help of a doctor. I don't know if they'll continue the medication for them or if they'll help you ween them but you need help with this.
If you run out of the medication and stop it, be prepared to seek medical attention for your babies on an emergency basis if they need it. good luck
Are you talking with the pediatrician or your doctor? Be sure you are talking to the BABIES' doctor, if you are talking to your own doc they might be missing that your concern is the babies and their withdrawal.
I think it depends what country you are living in my DD under their healthcare have to wait weeks for anything, thats in The UK I have also heard Canada have a waiting list ...so I think the ER is the only way to go...good luck let us know how they are doing ...
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.