High WBC for 1 yr old during routine well visit blood check
Hi - my 1 year old son went in for his 1 year well visit and the blood work came back saying his WBC is high - 23,000.  The dr said that it's pointing to something viral - he had the stomach flu about 10 days prior and a runny nose the day of the test. Could this explain such a high WBC?  After looking on the internet, I am very concerned.  
I'm a little surprised they did blood work in a well-child visit.  Do you think it was because they saw something in the exam that merited further investigation?  I'm sure my son didn't have it, but maybe my HMO is frugal about tests.  Anyway, ask the doctor how much to worry about the count, don't hesitate to call and say that one further reflection you are very concerned.
Thanks for your reply - it's their standard protocol at their practice.  They do it at all 1 year well visits to test lead, iron and WBC.  I have a message out to the dr to talk with her more - when she initially called she assured me everything was OK, it's just reading the internet that has scared me and causing me concern that I should be pushing for another opinion...?