Pediatrics Community
Hut Tub Folliculitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Hut Tub Folliculitis

I have a pretty bad case of Hot Tub Folliculitis after going in my parents' spa.
It is pretty unsightly & I have bumps covering my flanks, abdomen, underwear line, and buttocks with some spotting on thighs.
I am actually not too itchy or uncomfortable. I know it usually clears up on its own, but I've heard antibiotics are prescribed for more severe cases. I'd consider mine pretty bad, but again, I'm not too uncomfortable. Should I wait it out? Is there a risk if I choose to forego medication? Could it manifest into something worse if I don't medicate?

Also, my main questions: my son was in the spa with me. He is only 2 years old (the spa was only heated to 90 or so, we were just using it for water play on a hot day, not to relax in really hot water or anything). He has NO signs of the hot tub folliculitis, but I realize the bumps can show up as long as 14 days after exposure, so he could still have it on the way.
1. Should I get him to the doctor & get precautionary antibiotics? I don't like to overmedicate, but the rash is unsightly & I worry it would bother him more than mine bothers me.
2. Is there a chance he might not develop a rash at all? Why would I get it & he didn't? I assumed toddlers & babies would be more susceptible with smaller bodies & not as developed immune systems.
3. He did accidentally swallow some water a couple times while we were playing. He might have even inhaled some small amounts by splashing water in his face & up his nose. If he doesn't get the rash, could he possibly develop something else? Something worse? I searched info on the bacteria responsible for hot tub folliculitis. It is called pseudomonas aeruginosa which sounds very serious. It says the bacteria can be deadly. Possibly turn into sepsis or meningitis! Is it possible my son could develop anything serious from being in the water & drinking/inhaling some?
4. I read that the incubation period of pseudomonas aeruginosa is 1 - 3 days. If he doesn't develop any symptoms in the next few days, are we "out of the woods" & safe for sure? Or is there any chance the bacteria can hide out & grow into something terrible & unleash later in time?

Thank you for any help you can give. I would love it if you told me I am overreacting, but if I'm not overreacting, I would love to know what I should do to prevent anything awful from developing. Thank you!
Talk to the doctor who diagnosed you as having pseudomonas aeruginosa about your son.

If no doctor did diagnose you, how are you sure that is what you had?  If you have it and your son does not, that at least opens the question of whether you actually have something else.

I'd see a doc and run these questions by him or her.
Its good to do your own research about this ,I also think that a visit to the doctor is a good idea , I dont think you are over reacting I think its a normal concern you have especially for your son ..good luck let us know what he says ..