Lump on baby's head.. help
I have a 4 month old baby girl and this weekend I noticed a bump on her head.  It's about 3mm in diameter. It's hard like cartiledege or bone.  It's beneath the skin so it's not visible.  It doesn't move with the skin so it seems to be on the bone itself.  I called the doc and we are going in Tuesday or Wednesday.  The bump doesn't seem to cause her ANY pain - she has no illness symptoms at all.  She's happy and her appetite is great as usual.  

Any idea what this might be?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff44/Aeval54774/BumponSaschasHead.jpg
Lump on daughters head found when she was around 8, never bothered her till recently she is 19 and it seems to have gotten larger and hurts. Went to Dr. they didn't know what it is so she is going for a scan this week. Little concerned! Hope it's nothing.
My son has small pea sized lumps at the base of his neck/head.. and the dr said they are lymph nodes.

Now ive noticed he has 2 small harder ones along his coronal suture on one side... which i think is normal development of his skull. hes 10 mo old.
Hi, I have a 15 month old baby girl I found 2 lumps on her left side of her neck and one on the right. There is also a lump on each side of her groin area that I noticed while I was changing her..I'm a total paranoid since my last baby is now 10 years!! Please,!! Does anyone have any idea what it could be??!!! I know about lymph nodes could that be it?
i think everyone is kind of saying the same thing altho nobody has helped me on my daughters lump.
I have a 4 m old and she has had a soft bump about an inch and it has red spots on it, the doctor and the health nurse say its a bunch of blood vessels that have poped. they say its superficial and shouldnt bother her but some days its really swollen and some days its small, has anyone ever had any trouble with this? some say they have seen it on the legs and back but never on the head.
Anyone have any ideas?
my son is 10mths old we just noticed a lump in between his eyebrows about 1cm in size, darker than his skin, does not seem to be atteched to his bone, can not be seen when u look at him directly but can be seen when u look at him from the side or up, it is not painful and his activity has not changed. do u know what it is pls
My son had a small lump maybe the size of nickel when he was about 5 months old well now he is 18 months and that small lump is now about the size of a baseball (roundness). Well I asked the ped. DR when he was 5 months old and they said it was nothing to worry about but now that it has grown I am starting to worry again. It doesn't hurt him but I have notice that he itches that side of his head alot.

I hav made an appointment to see his DR again. I hope it's nothing.
thanks a million for your useful comment
What started out as just a raised soft spot is now a large mass on my daughters head.  she is 14 months old.  scan was done at about 5 months old.  it is now much bigger and no longer symmetrical.  going back to the neurosurgeon as he said there is a concern the mass could cause a divit into the skull. but otherwise no issue and to maybe remove it at 4 or 5 years of age.  it's not a tumor, it doesn't "communicate" with the brain... it's located between the skull and the skin.  any help anyone has would be great!!  

http://twitpic.com/1zdhzh
my five month old girl aslo has twom lumps at the back of her head, Dr said its because she has aczema and it will go away, got a second opinion and that DR also said most kids have it and it goes away as they grow up. i'm stll worried
I just found out my 16 MONTH OLD gal has a bump on the right temple, between the eyebrow and the hairline. It was not there but appeared only recently. it felt like a bone cartilage. its about 15mm in diameter. Am concerned. Can anyone tell me if u have similar condition and have seen a doctor?
I am glad that I am not the only one...my daughter is 6 months old and when she was about 1 month old I found a hard bump behind her right ear...I saw two different doctors on about 5 different occasions and they both said every time that it was a swollen lymph node not to worry...well it has gotten a little bigger it has also been hard like bone and not movable.   I had her for her 6 month checkup and asked about it again and the PA I saw said it didn't feel like a lymph node and that I needed an ultrasound...So of course I am a nervous wreck...I just don't understand how the same practice can have so many different opinions..I get the ultrasound on Friday July 16 and just hate waiting...I am sure it is nothing but can't help not to think about it..
I am a pediatrician and I get questions about head lumps almost daily.  Of course the internet does not replace an exam by a pediatrician, but I will say this:

1)  If a lump is small (pea-sized) the chance of it being bad is zero. Bad things grow and enlarge.  If the size is stable it is probably not anything dangerous.
2)  Cancer is the first thing that jumps into a parents head when they find a lump.  Cancers grow.  So if the lump is the same size it was last month, the chance of it being cancer is probably zero.  Children with cancer also typically have other symptoms (fever, poor weight gain, weight loss, easy bruising, etc).  
3)  There are lymph nodes around the ears and at the base of the skull.  These are the most common lumps parents bring to my attention.  They are usually pea-sized or smaller and seem to move around under the skin.  
4)  Infants will sometimes have a hard lump on their skull due to trauma from birth.  There was typically a bruise or swelling (cones head) at that location shortly after birth.  This injured area has calcium deposited in it and if becomes a bony knot under the skin.  This typically evens out over several months to years.  
5)  Dermoid cysts are typically found on the lateral aspect (the area nearest to the temple) of the eyebrow.  They feel like a pea or lima bean under the skin.  These are typically surgically removed because it can rupture with trauma (a hard blow to the area) and lead to a large inflammatory reaction at that location.  Which is not a great thing with it being so close to the eye.

I have definitely learned that parents get anxious about lumps and bumps under the skin.  I have also learned that the degree of anxiety is often much greater than the risk of anything bad.  The good news if the child has no other symptoms (a normal healthy child), the lump is relatively small and not growing, it is almost always not dangerous.  

I hope this helps.  Remember, if you are concerned get it looked at.  
I never posted my question because I didn't have to, your post was an amazingly detailed explantion and not only answered my question but put my mind at ease.  You described the "lump" that I discovered on my 2 month old son perfectly as an unconcering lymph node.  I will keep an eye on it but will not stalk my pediatrician on Monday morning as previously planned:)  Thanks so much!
dear pearents
i know how you feel
my little boy, 2 years old, have a little lump,size of a pea, on a back of  heis neck, i found it when he was 13 month old, went do doc, 3 docs, they all sad it nothing to worrie about, easy to say, well it still ther now, one year later, same size,
i lost my husband last year to the C, so i m soooo worried
but i feel like better leav it aloun, as he is not destobed by it, happy lad, just will keep eye on it, you dont want to send your little kid for all those Xrays, it is bad, so just check it time at a time
thank you
My one year old daughter has the same lump me and my wife decided not to take her to urgent care. but to watch it over the weekend and then set an appointment on Monday, but this blog really helped me gain some knowledge  before we went to her primary Dr. Thank you.
hi, please let us know what did doc sad?
thank you
hope you all well
I was rubbing my 2 year old baby boys head last night and found two little tiny pea size lumps in the lower back of his head.I got freaked out and could not sleep all night!he is a healthy growing boy and seems to have no problems.I hope its nothing! I guess i will ask pediatrician when he go's for his shots here soon! reading these posts makes me feel a little better for the mean time!
Just found a pea sized bump on the base of the right side of my 13 month old's skull.  It moves under the skin.  It has never been there before.  He has Down syndrome and is at higher risk for childhood leukemia.  He hasn't really gained/kept much weight for the past four months.  He has an MRI scheduled a month from now to rule out tumors as a cause for some minor head shaking he does.  The posts about lymph nodes give me some hope, but I'm afraid I'll be one of the parent's whose child's issue really means "something."  Praying and hoping for the best until I have solid results to go off of.  
Yesterday I noticed a lump on my 2month old and today he got some x-rays done and they said that it was mass that was growing in his head. They told me that right now it wasn't noting to worry about but he will need to see a speclist to see what treatment he can get so it won't grow any more I'm really scared cause my baby is so little and I don't know if it hurts him or what b/c he cries so much at night I hope his okay please pray for him his name is Gerardo if any one has a similar case or already went through this let me. Know it's my first baby and I'm scared to death
Thank you mgonzalezmd!  My youngest has a similar pea-sized hard as bone lump at the base of her skull too.  Her pediatrician wants her to see a specialist to determine the specific type of cyst and if it needs to be removed.  I have to wait a month to for the appointment, but the affirmation that pea-sized lumps and smaller are usually of no major concern is helpful.
So what was the verdict with your daughter? I am going through the same things with my 7 month old son right now and am so worried. We are in the begining stages and will be calling today to set up another appointment with a specialist. We only noticed the bump about a month ago and it was definitely not there at birth. It is hard to tell if it is growing but it sure feels like it is slightly bigger. Either way, we are getting it checked out again asap.
Prayers and blessings to all in this forum. Remember, By the stripes of Jesus we are healed! (1 Peter 2:24) Believe it and receive it!
My son is 2, and just today i noticed a lump behind his right ear. it is aboutthe size of a pea. it feels hard like bone. reading all these posts have been very helpful. i am very worried and am thinking i should go see a doctor..any advice?
My son is 1 1/2 yrs old. and i found a few knots on the base of his skull the other day.. they are hard, marble sized knots that dont move. they dont seem to hurt when touched and he is a very small child only 21 lbs at 1 1/2 yrs old.. so i am worried about it. i read in an eirler post that poor weight gain is a sighn that goes with cancer he has only gained 2 lbs in 7 months and he eats alot..
This is for lindsard aswell...did you read the good post put up by mgonzalezmd, a pediatrician it is very helpful and gives many details of parents concerns about lumps . She does state that hard lumps at the base of the skull may take time to disappear and could be calcium deposits ...Lymph nodes exist in that area also ..It would be best to have them looked at by your Doctor for your peace of mind . Good luck
i have a 3 year old boy who had a cyst on his left side underneath his eye and he got it removed when he was 18 months. the doctors said it was bening and gave me the choice or removing it or jut let it be, however it was quite noticeable so i decided to get it removed. it was a very quick procedure that lasted and hour to get it remove and one more hour before i took him home. however now i have a 4 month old girl and i just notice that she has a lump that feels like a little ball right in themiddle of her head. it feels hard but it cannot be seen just felt. im worried that it might be a cyst just like the one that my son had however what worries me is that it is in her head and it stresses me out to think that she will need to have it remove. with my son i wasnt as worried because it was in an area that is not as complicated but just to think that if she needs surgery it will be on her head makes me worry like crazy. i sont know ho complicated it could be and how it would affect her. i will schedule an appointment on monday and hope that it isnt something that needs surgery.
It may be a lymph node ..try not to worry until they have looked at it, they will know what to do ,has she been unwell lately as they do swell if there is an infection.
My daughter was born with a bump on the lower bottom of her head. She's nine months and it's still there. It's hard and it can't be moved. She's doesn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable when it is touched. I'm not really worried but my doc is sending her to a infection diease specialist so will see. Any comments that can help will be appreciated
my son had a fever for the past 3 days and today i notice two small lumps in the back of his head behind his ears i will be taking him to the doctor tomorrow i hope erything is well ive read all the posts and i think they might be lymph nodes because their small and i can move them around im still kind of nervous though
Hi i havr the same problem! My daughter is 6 months and i just found a hard lump on the bak of her head it in the middle and i was worried! She doesnt cry or anything when i touch it and its about 1inch big and im really worried! Does anyone know what this is or have the same problem? I have an appoitment tomorrow @10:00am  n will post a comment what the doctor says
Hello. I was just reading a post you had about your son having a lump on his forehead in 2009. If you don't mind, could you please email me to tell me what the outcome was of it? My son is 2 and has had a lump in between his eyebrows since birth. It has risen and grown from a marble size to a half-dollar size. He has an MRI next Friday, but I'd really like a heads up as to what we might be dealing with here. I would REALLY appreciate it if you could tell me your son's story. :) Thank you so much!
***@****    Heather :)
My son has that although he's had it since birth and the docs said not to worry about it.  Tonight I started stressing out cause as he grows, and his head grows, so does this hard bump!  Also since birth, it's always looked like a bruise.  Kind of grayish.  So strange.
How's your little cutie doing?

Omg thank you so much guys im so worry I have a 1 year old and he has the same simpler stuff im so worry im crying I have juat notice my son had 1 under his lower ear and now I notice he has more all over the bottom of his head I so worry I wanna take him Wright know to the ER :"""(
My little boy that is 3 1/2 months old has something just like you have described....did you find anything out about it?
did you ever find out what this was?? sounds like what my son has on his head.
My daughter had this and really bad cradle cap. The doctor said the bump was a lymphnodes that her body produced to fight off the cradle cap.
What was her diagnosis because my daughter has the exact same thing in the exact same spot!!
Hi, I've just discovered the same sort of lump on my 4 month olds head in the same position, at the top left towards the front and i haven't been able to have it checked yet. Its quite big like a thumb too. What was the verdict with your childs lump? I'm very worried.
Hi, I've just discovered the same sort of lump on my 4 month olds head in the same position, at the top left towards the front and i haven't been able to have it checked yet. Its quite big like an adult thumb. What was the verdict with your childs lump? I'm very worried.
Why doesn't anyone ever get back on this site and post the outcome? My granddaughter has a small hard lump on the back of her head and I was hoping to get some answers here. Please parents' come back and post results!
Well my daughter was about 5 months when hers appeared pretty much over night we scheduled an appointment and he said he wasn't sure it might by a cyst that bone or a lympnode that has turned to bone. Anyways finally I got something done at her 10 month appointment they sent her for exrays its not any kind of bone at all. So now im having to see a specialist for a head and neck surgeon. We go tomorrow
Very often they do come back if you take a scroll down ,this one has been unlucky ...you can send a note or a PM to the members who start the thread and ask how their child is doing ....
i'm a 31 year old mom and i have a hard almost pea size bump on my head about a 1/2 inch behind my ear, it has been there all my life and never bothered me at all. i have a 6 month old son and he has the same thing only his is above his temple, he too was born with his bump as i noticed it as soon as i delivered him. dr said it's nothing to be alarmed about, just to watch it to make sure it doesn't change in size or appearance. he's not bothered by it and is thriving just fine, he's actually ahead of himself age wise with the things he does and milestones. so as long as it does't bother the child, he/she is thriving well, and the bump does't change in shape, color, or size, it shouldn't be cause for alarm.
did you find out? my baby has the exact same thing that you described...  I don't want to do x-rays on it and we went to dr. today and they were stumped. ANything you learned would be a blessing. thanks!!
My 10 month old daughter has lump on her right frontal scalp just into the hairline. We noticed the lump when she was 3 months old, the doctors told me not to worry because it was probably just a cyst. I was also told that where it was located there is a vein running over it and they couldn't try to get a biopsy.  My daughter has mild cerebral palsy so she sees a group of doctors at our Children's Hospital. They were perplexed because it was hard and didn't cause her pain and was the size of a pea. So a routine MRI was done and the radiologist's impression was that it was either a sebaceous cyst or chronic soft tissue hematoma.  Since the MRI it has grown in size and shape and causes her pain and we also found another lump on the back of her head (the size of a pea). Now they will be doing a biopsy.  So worried as well. Not getting any clear answers yet!
did you ever find out what that lump was?? my daughter has the EXACT same thing you are talking about on this medhelp website
Thank you!  You are the best!!!!  You are exactly the voice of reason we all (knew, but) needed!!
I have a two year old son. He was born at 32 weeks due to my pre eclampsia . He developed something called Necrotizing Enterocolitis about a week after he was born which has to do with the intestines. He made a quick and "miraculous" turn around according to UW. Anyway he has been very happy, extremely active, and healthy. A few months ago I noticed a small lump that felt like a goose egg which he has had many times due to falls and tripping. Well about three weeks later I noticed it was still there and then two months later it's still there . It's on the right side of the back of his head. It's a hard, boney knot. I can tell it has increased in size a little bit just in the past few weeks . I'm a huge hypochondriac. He's been to the same Doctor twice and she doesn't seem a bit concerned but still I didn't tell her it felt bigger because I wasn't sure . I have another appt at 9:30 am tomorrow . My anxiety is so bad that I always go straight to worst case scenario and I will be panicking until I know that he is ok. What else could it he