Pediatrics Community
Lump on baby's head.. help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Lump on baby's head.. help

I have a 4 month old baby girl and this weekend I noticed a bump on her head.  It's about 3mm in diameter. It's hard like cartiledege or bone.  It's beneath the skin so it's not visible.  It doesn't move with the skin so it seems to be on the bone itself.  I called the doc and we are going in Tuesday or Wednesday.  The bump doesn't seem to cause her ANY pain - she has no illness symptoms at all.  She's happy and her appetite is great as usual.  

Any idea what this might be?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff44/Aeval54774/BumponSaschasHead.jpg
The link is to a pic that pinpoints the spot on the skull where the bump is..
It sounds like a lipoma to me,  which is a fatty deposit.

When you say "it's hard like cartliledge or bone",  which is it,  soft like cartiledge,  or hard like bone?

Bone feels like rock.  Feel your wrist bone - does it feel like that?

Or does it feel like cartiledege - like the tip of your nose?

I have a lipoma on my skull that has been there 48 years.  Feels like cartiledge.  It's totally harmless.

Best wishes.

My 18mo old son has a dermoid cyst on his eyebrow and it sounds similar to what you are talking about.  When I took him to Children's hospital to have it looked at, the doc said they are common on the head and nothing to worry about.  They are removing his because of the location and they dont want it to interfere w/ his vision.

Tiffiny
My 10-month old had an x-ray for this same reason when he was 5 months old. It was the development of his skull/cerebral, which was nothing to be concerned about. It was at the very back of his skull closer to his neck. Good luck!
Thank you for your answers -- When I said cartiledge I meant HARD cartiledge -- moving but not soft like your nose.  Like bone cartiledge -- but it mostly feels like bone.  

We are having it checked Wednesday at 2pm -- Any other ideas would be great.  You are all making me feel much better - Thank you!
I have a 1 year old girl who will be having a ct scan on Wednesday.  She has a hard bump behind her ear.  It sounds a lot like what you all are describing.  The ENT specialist called it a possible osteomo or an exostosis.  I'm so worried about it and can't seem to get it out of my head.  Deep down I feel like it's innocent, but I'm still worried about it. Basically they are just double checking to make sure it's not something serious, like cancer.  Any more advice on this topic would be so great.  Not sure if anyone is still reading this topic....hope so though.
Did you find out what it is?
What was the diagnosis on the lump? I have a 5 month old girl with a hard lump (about the size of an adult thumb) on her head. It is at the top of her forehead going towards the top of her head and is kind of curved in shape. The pediatrician was stumped and is sending us to Children's Hospital to meet with a neurosurgeon. Our appointment is 4 weeks away and we are very concerned.
Any thoughts?
My daughter has a “bump” behind her left ear.  My husband and I found it when she was about 1 month old. We asked her pediatrician and he assure us it was nothing to worry about, of course we did.  He got a second opinion, he said it was nothing, we still didn’t believe him…We then got a third opinion, this time request an x-ray, and guess what…nothing…nothing at all…Our little girl just has a funny “bump” on her head.  She is going to be three next month and of course we are going to get it looked at again.  All of the doctors so far said that it just the way her skull developed, but as parents we must always put our kids’ health first…Good luck and I hope it’s the same diagnosed that we received
I have a similar problem with my 21 month old son. Only his is three bumps and I am totally stumped as to what it is. It wasn't there before but when I cut his hiar yesterday I saw them for the first time. No telling how long he's had them because my kids were blessed with thick curly hair. I do know however it wasn't there before his hair came in. I am going to take him to the doctor and find out what they are but if anyone can put my mind at ease, please do. My daughter never had anything like this and I'm so worried.
My daughter of 6 months also has A bump up along her hair line, behind her left ear.
Me and my husband are very concerned.
We have taken her to the doctor twice for the bump.
We also notest the bump about 1 month ago it first felt like soft cartilage. and it was very small about the size of A pea.
it has grown somewhat larger in size it is know about the size of A thumb, and know feels like A bone.
The doctor told us not to worry as well that it is most likely part of her bone structure.
My 1 year old son has a pea size bump located at the base of his skull behind his left ear. It is hard like cartilage. It sounds allot like what some of you have described. I guess I'm just looking to find out if this is normal. My next visit is not for another month. Should I have it looked at sooner?
mommymia,  your sons lump sounds like a swollen lymph node - from an infection.  Totally normal,  and it will go away in time.  
My son is only two months old.There is a bump with diameter of 1,5 sm on the right side of his forehead.It is hard as cartilage.there is some hair on it.its color is normal.I took him to the dermatologist and she said it is  cyst deroide.Though the doctor said to me not to be worried I am terribly worried and concerned about this bump, because I have not observed such bump before on any of my family members or relatives.I have to take mybaby to the hospital to do x-ray of this bump.but he is so little I am very worried that e-ray can affect him badly.besides this the doctor could not expalin to me the reason why my baby has this cyst.Can anyone explain to me what is the origin of such cyst and why it appered on the head of my baby? Is the only solution is plastic surgery? Will this bump affect the intellectual development of my baby?
I am so stressed because of this problem.
Thanks to everyone for help.
I have a 7 wk old baby girl and I discovered her pea size bump when she was 2 wks right behind her left ear ,right behind  where her hair line starts. It feels hard and does not move. When i feel  it, it  doesn't seem to hurt or bother her at all. The doctor said not to worry. We just need to keep an eye on it and she thinks it's either a swollen lymph node or cyst . I can't help but to worry.
I have a 4 month old boy and found a little lump behind his left ear. I took him to the doctor and he said not to worry because he thought it was just where his head is growing together, but to keep an eye on it. Any lump scares me, but it's good to know that it isn't so uncommon for babies to have lumps on their heads.
My daugher has a lump on the back of her head about the size of a pea. It has been there since birth. However the same time I found the lump I also noticed her lymph nods in her neck were swollen. She is 15 mns now. My mother in law said my husbands lymp nods was like that when he was little. I asked my ped and he said just to watch it and make sure it dosen't get bigger. Should I get a second opinon?
I am so glad I found this forum.  My almost 11 month old daughter has a hard lump behind her right ear and has had it since birth.  I was told it was just the way her head formed and not to worry.  I got a second opinion and this doc said to keep an eye on it because it does seem to move.  It hasn't gotten any bigger and it doesn't cause any pain to my knowledge.  We are going in for her 12 month visit and I am going to request an Xray just to put my mind at ease!

Thanks for all the answers and advice on here, it's great!
I've had a bump on the top of my head, starts to the right of my crown, for almost 22 years(since birth). It's about the size of a quarter and the doc told my parents it was a birthmark. I've always just made sure to keep long enough hair to shade it from the sun because the skin just seems easier to disturb and I figure it would be more likely to get skin cancer there. It's never caused me any problems though.
My two year old has a hard, pea sized lump on the back of his skull, behing his right ear. He has had an x-ray, the doctors(their were five of them) said it was nothing to worry over and it was the way his skull formed. He was a natural birth and came out very quickly. Hope this helps any worried parents!

Arica
MY SON ALSO HAS A CYST ON TOP OF EYEBROW, HARD LIKE BONE, AND AS A WORRIED PARENT I AM. I BROUGHT HIM TO DR. HE ADVISED ME NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, SHOULD BE GONE IN FEW MNTHS, IF THEN NOT, BRING IN FOR POSS. SURGERY. BUT DOESNT BOTHER SON MUCH, BOTHERS ME MORE THAN HIM
I have a 4 month old daughter and about three days ago I've noticed a lump on the back of her head,about 2 inches from her left ear, toward the middle of the back of her head. I am going to see the pediatritian tomorrow, can't wait to find out what is it. I am glad however, that most of you found out it's nothing. Hope the dr.'s diagnosis will be the same.
My 11 month old baby girl has a bump right where her head meets her chest. I just noticed it. I was brushing her hair after he bath, and he head seemed uneven. So I pushed her hair up and there was this bump, and it really got me scared, my dad has cysts sp? all over his head, and I know they were quite painful for him. I touched it, and it didn't seem to bother her. I am going to call the doctor. The only thing I am thinkinng, is that they had to use a vacuum during delivery, does anyone think it have anything to do with this?
I meant where her head meets her neck
fourth of july i found a pea sized lump under my 5 month old leg worried mother of 4 and most they ever had was flu nothing but a cold for 5 mth. old.
My son has this dime-sized lump on his forehead since he was one month old. This lump is not so hard, but like a cartilage under his skin. In the beginning his paedia thought it may just be a dermoid cyst but the second doctor thought the location was a bit higher than where you normally find dermoid cysts (justat the tip of the eyebrow closer to the ear). So we consulted a Paediatric Neurosurgeon last Saturday. He thinks its nothing more than a benign cyst as it has not gotten any bigger than when we first noticed it.
He is 4 months old now and it never bothered him nor does he cry when we feel it. Nonetheless, we want to make sure, so the doctor suggested that we take him for an MRI. This being safer over-all than CT scan - which still uses Xray, also, the dye/ med used is safer for infants than what they use in CT scans. Lastly, more complete results can be determined so the baby only has to go through a test once to determine what it is. If its benign, which is most likely, we'll just leave it alone.
My son is almost 6 months old, and for about 2 months now he has had this lump, or "swollen" area behind his right ear area up to his temple.  It's hard like a bone, and doesn't seem to have fluid build up in it.  He does NOT like it messed with and will often scream and claw and scratch at it.

I've had his pedi order xrays and ultra sounds of it and they said it was a muscle.  I'm still VERY worried about it since his twin brother has neuroblastoma cancer and has to start chemo in a couple of weeks.  They have never tested his brother for neuroblastoma regardless of how much I have begged.  

He also has a hard little lump on his left hand in his palm where the index finger meets the palm.  It moves a little, and seem to be about the same hardness as a hard cartlidge (not like the cartlidge in your ear, harder than that, but not quite bone).

It's very worrisome to me to have these issues going on with my son when his twin brother has cancer, and no one will check him out!

I've been trying to find out on my own what it is!
my daughter (now 3) had a dermoid cyst removed from back of her head about 1 inch to the right of her left ear. it was removed b/c the neurosurgeon felt in time it would burrow thru her skull. it was quite large - and upon removing it they found it was even larger than they thougth and had already burrowed thru her skull.  it was benign, and harmless, except for it's size.  my younger daughter (now 2) has the same dermoid cyst in the exact same location (coincidince??) hers is much smaller, but of course we are having it removed for obvious reasons (her sister). the only issue is, just today i found another lump on her head. this one is behind her right ear, and it is quite large. it wasn't there before. anyone who posted about lumps behind the ear - was this a lymph node or dermoid cyst? her surgery is scheduled for the 24th, i'm calling the neurosurgeon tomorrow to see if she needs another mri prior to surgery. am suddenly worried where i wasn't before...
My son is 15 months old and has had a lump in the middle of his forhead since birth. I have asked the doctor about this but he says he feels nothing. I can not only see it but feel it also, so can my family members. He now has two lumps behind his left ear and one behind his right, took him to the doctors today and she said they are cysts. I am concerned about all the lumps he has and the locations. Should I be concerned or trust that the doctors know what they are talking about? And what should i do next?
Found this info on Medline Plus
Swollen lymph nodes

MedlinePlus Topics
Lymphatic Diseases
Images

Lymphatic system

Infectious mononucleosis

Circulation of lymph

Lymphatic system

Swollen glands
Read More
Abscess
Lymphadenitis
Lymph system
Tumor
Lymph nodes are found throughout your body. They are an important part of your immune system. Lymph nodes help your body recognize and fight germs, infections, and other foreign substances.

The term "swollen glands" refers to enlargement of one or more lymph nodes.

In a child, a node is considered enlarged if it is more than 1 centimeter (0.4 inch) in diameter.

See also: Lymphadenitis and lymphangitis

Considerations

Common areas where the lymph nodes can be felt (with the fingers) include:

Groin
Armpit
Neck (there is a chain of lymph nodes on either side of the front of the neck, both sides of the neck, and down each side of the back of the neck)
Under the jaw and chin
Behind the ears
On the back of the head
Lymph nodes can become swollen from infection, inflammatory conditions, an abscess, or cancer. Other causes of enlarged lymph nodes are rare. By far, the most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is infection.

When swelling appears suddenly and is painful, it is usually caused by injury or an infection. Enlargement that comes on gradually and painlessly may, in some cases, result from cancer or a tumor.

Causes

Infections that commonly cause swollen lymph nodes include:

Abscessed or impacted tooth
Ear infection
Colds, flu, and other infections
Gingivitis
Mononucleosis
Mouth sores
Sexually transmitted diseases
Tonsillitis
Tuberculosis
Skin infections
Immune or autoimmune disorders that can cause swollen lymph nodes include rheumatoid arthritis and HIV.

Cancers that can often cause swollen lymph nodes include leukemia, Hodgkin's disease, or non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. However, many other cancers may also cause this problem.

Which lymph nodes are swollen depends on the type of problem and the body parts involved. Identifying the location can help determine the possible cause.

Swollen lymph nodes may also be caused by some medications (such phenytoin for seizures) or certain vaccinations (such as typhoid immunization).

Soreness in lymph nodes usually disappears in a couple of days without treatment, but the nodes may not return to normal size for several weeks after the infection has cleared. Generally, if they are painful, it is because they swell rapidly in the early stages of fighting an infection.

When to Contact a Medical Professional

Call your doctor if:

Your lymph nodes do not get smaller after several weeks or continue to get larger.
They are red and tender.
They feel hard, irregular, or fixed in place.
You have fever, night sweats, or unexplained weight loss.
Any node in a child is larger than 1 centimeter (a little less than 1/2 inch) in diameter.
Lump on daughters head found when she was around 8, never bothered her till recently she is 19 and it seems to have gotten larger and hurts. Went to Dr. they didn't know what it is so she is going for a scan this week. Little concerned! Hope it's nothing.
My son has small pea sized lumps at the base of his neck/head.. and the dr said they are lymph nodes.

Now ive noticed he has 2 small harder ones along his coronal suture on one side... which i think is normal development of his skull. hes 10 mo old.
Hi, I have a 15 month old baby girl I found 2 lumps on her left side of her neck and one on the right. There is also a lump on each side of her groin area that I noticed while I was changing her..I'm a total paranoid since my last baby is now 10 years!! Please,!! Does anyone have any idea what it could be??!!! I know about lymph nodes could that be it?
i think everyone is kind of saying the same thing altho nobody has helped me on my daughters lump.
I have a 4 m old and she has had a soft bump about an inch and it has red spots on it, the doctor and the health nurse say its a bunch of blood vessels that have poped. they say its superficial and shouldnt bother her but some days its really swollen and some days its small, has anyone ever had any trouble with this? some say they have seen it on the legs and back but never on the head.
Anyone have any ideas?
my son is 10mths old we just noticed a lump in between his eyebrows about 1cm in size, darker than his skin, does not seem to be atteched to his bone, can not be seen when u look at him directly but can be seen when u look at him from the side or up, it is not painful and his activity has not changed. do u know what it is pls
My son had a small lump maybe the size of nickel when he was about 5 months old well now he is 18 months and that small lump is now about the size of a baseball (roundness). Well I asked the ped. DR when he was 5 months old and they said it was nothing to worry about but now that it has grown I am starting to worry again. It doesn't hurt him but I have notice that he itches that side of his head alot.

I hav made an appointment to see his DR again. I hope it's nothing.
thanks a million for your useful comment
What started out as just a raised soft spot is now a large mass on my daughters head.  she is 14 months old.  scan was done at about 5 months old.  it is now much bigger and no longer symmetrical.  going back to the neurosurgeon as he said there is a concern the mass could cause a divit into the skull. but otherwise no issue and to maybe remove it at 4 or 5 years of age.  it's not a tumor, it doesn't "communicate" with the brain... it's located between the skull and the skin.  any help anyone has would be great!!  

http://twitpic.com/1zdhzh
my five month old girl aslo has twom lumps at the back of her head, Dr said its because she has aczema and it will go away, got a second opinion and that DR also said most kids have it and it goes away as they grow up. i'm stll worried
I just found out my 16 MONTH OLD gal has a bump on the right temple, between the eyebrow and the hairline. It was not there but appeared only recently. it felt like a bone cartilage. its about 15mm in diameter. Am concerned. Can anyone tell me if u have similar condition and have seen a doctor?
I am glad that I am not the only one...my daughter is 6 months old and when she was about 1 month old I found a hard bump behind her right ear...I saw two different doctors on about 5 different occasions and they both said every time that it was a swollen lymph node not to worry...well it has gotten a little bigger it has also been hard like bone and not movable.   I had her for her 6 month checkup and asked about it again and the PA I saw said it didn't feel like a lymph node and that I needed an ultrasound...So of course I am a nervous wreck...I just don't understand how the same practice can have so many different opinions..I get the ultrasound on Friday July 16 and just hate waiting...I am sure it is nothing but can't help not to think about it..
I am a pediatrician and I get questions about head lumps almost daily.  Of course the internet does not replace an exam by a pediatrician, but I will say this:

1)  If a lump is small (pea-sized) the chance of it being bad is zero. Bad things grow and enlarge.  If the size is stable it is probably not anything dangerous.
2)  Cancer is the first thing that jumps into a parents head when they find a lump.  Cancers grow.  So if the lump is the same size it was last month, the chance of it being cancer is probably zero.  Children with cancer also typically have other symptoms (fever, poor weight gain, weight loss, easy bruising, etc).  
3)  There are lymph nodes around the ears and at the base of the skull.  These are the most common lumps parents bring to my attention.  They are usually pea-sized or smaller and seem to move around under the skin.  
4)  Infants will sometimes have a hard lump on their skull due to trauma from birth.  There was typically a bruise or swelling (cones head) at that location shortly after birth.  This injured area has calcium deposited in it and if becomes a bony knot under the skin.  This typically evens out over several months to years.  
5)  Dermoid cysts are typically found on the lateral aspect (the area nearest to the temple) of the eyebrow.  They feel like a pea or lima bean under the skin.  These are typically surgically removed because it can rupture with trauma (a hard blow to the area) and lead to a large inflammatory reaction at that location.  Which is not a great thing with it being so close to the eye.

I have definitely learned that parents get anxious about lumps and bumps under the skin.  I have also learned that the degree of anxiety is often much greater than the risk of anything bad.  The good news if the child has no other symptoms (a normal healthy child), the lump is relatively small and not growing, it is almost always not dangerous.  

I hope this helps.  Remember, if you are concerned get it looked at.  
I never posted my question because I didn't have to, your post was an amazingly detailed explantion and not only answered my question but put my mind at ease.  You described the "lump" that I discovered on my 2 month old son perfectly as an unconcering lymph node.  I will keep an eye on it but will not stalk my pediatrician on Monday morning as previously planned:)  Thanks so much!
dear pearents
i know how you feel
my little boy, 2 years old, have a little lump,size of a pea, on a back of  heis neck, i found it when he was 13 month old, went do doc, 3 docs, they all sad it nothing to worrie about, easy to say, well it still ther now, one year later, same size,
i lost my husband last year to the C, so i m soooo worried
but i feel like better leav it aloun, as he is not destobed by it, happy lad, just will keep eye on it, you dont want to send your little kid for all those Xrays, it is bad, so just check it time at a time
thank you
My one year old daughter has the same lump me and my wife decided not to take her to urgent care. but to watch it over the weekend and then set an appointment on Monday, but this blog really helped me gain some knowledge  before we went to her primary Dr. Thank you.
hi, please let us know what did doc sad?
thank you
hope you all well
I was rubbing my 2 year old baby boys head last night and found two little tiny pea size lumps in the lower back of his head.I got freaked out and could not sleep all night!he is a healthy growing boy and seems to have no problems.I hope its nothing! I guess i will ask pediatrician when he go's for his shots here soon! reading these posts makes me feel a little better for the mean time!
Just found a pea sized bump on the base of the right side of my 13 month old's skull.  It moves under the skin.  It has never been there before.  He has Down syndrome and is at higher risk for childhood leukemia.  He hasn't really gained/kept much weight for the past four months.  He has an MRI scheduled a month from now to rule out tumors as a cause for some minor head shaking he does.  The posts about lymph nodes give me some hope, but I'm afraid I'll be one of the parent's whose child's issue really means "something."  Praying and hoping for the best until I have solid results to go off of.  
Yesterday I noticed a lump on my 2month old and today he got some x-rays done and they said that it was mass that was growing in his head. They told me that right now it wasn't noting to worry about but he will need to see a speclist to see what treatment he can get so it won't grow any more I'm really scared cause my baby is so little and I don't know if it hurts him or what b/c he cries so much at night I hope his okay please pray for him his name is Gerardo if any one has a similar case or already went through this let me. Know it's my first baby and I'm scared to death
Thank you mgonzalezmd!  My youngest has a similar pea-sized hard as bone lump at the base of her skull too.  Her pediatrician wants her to see a specialist to determine the specific type of cyst and if it needs to be removed.  I have to wait a month to for the appointment, but the affirmation that pea-sized lumps and smaller are usually of no major concern is helpful.
So what was the verdict with your daughter? I am going through the same things with my 7 month old son right now and am so worried. We are in the begining stages and will be calling today to set up another appointment with a specialist. We only noticed the bump about a month ago and it was definitely not there at birth. It is hard to tell if it is growing but it sure feels like it is slightly bigger. Either way, we are getting it checked out again asap.
Prayers and blessings to all in this forum. Remember, By the stripes of Jesus we are healed! (1 Peter 2:24) Believe it and receive it!
My son is 2, and just today i noticed a lump behind his right ear. it is aboutthe size of a pea. it feels hard like bone. reading all these posts have been very helpful. i am very worried and am thinking i should go see a doctor..any advice?
My son is 1 1/2 yrs old. and i found a few knots on the base of his skull the other day.. they are hard, marble sized knots that dont move. they dont seem to hurt when touched and he is a very small child only 21 lbs at 1 1/2 yrs old.. so i am worried about it. i read in an eirler post that poor weight gain is a sighn that goes with cancer he has only gained 2 lbs in 7 months and he eats alot..
This is for lindsard aswell...did you read the good post put up by mgonzalezmd, a pediatrician it is very helpful and gives many details of parents concerns about lumps . She does state that hard lumps at the base of the skull may take time to disappear and could be calcium deposits ...Lymph nodes exist in that area also ..It would be best to have them looked at by your Doctor for your peace of mind . Good luck
i have a 3 year old boy who had a cyst on his left side underneath his eye and he got it removed when he was 18 months. the doctors said it was bening and gave me the choice or removing it or jut let it be, however it was quite noticeable so i decided to get it removed. it was a very quick procedure that lasted and hour to get it remove and one more hour before i took him home. however now i have a 4 month old girl and i just notice that she has a lump that feels like a little ball right in themiddle of her head. it feels hard but it cannot be seen just felt. im worried that it might be a cyst just like the one that my son had however what worries me is that it is in her head and it stresses me out to think that she will need to have it remove. with my son i wasnt as worried because it was in an area that is not as complicated but just to think that if she needs surgery it will be on her head makes me worry like crazy. i sont know ho complicated it could be and how it would affect her. i will schedule an appointment on monday and hope that it isnt something that needs surgery.
It may be a lymph node ..try not to worry until they have looked at it, they will know what to do ,has she been unwell lately as they do swell if there is an infection.
My daughter was born with a bump on the lower bottom of her head. She's nine months and it's still there. It's hard and it can't be moved. She's doesn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable when it is touched. I'm not really worried but my doc is sending her to a infection diease specialist so will see. Any comments that can help will be appreciated
my son had a fever for the past 3 days and today i notice two small lumps in the back of his head behind his ears i will be taking him to the doctor tomorrow i hope erything is well ive read all the posts and i think they might be lymph nodes because their small and i can move them around im still kind of nervous though
Hi i havr the same problem! My daughter is 6 months and i just found a hard lump on the bak of her head it in the middle and i was worried! She doesnt cry or anything when i touch it and its about 1inch big and im really worried! Does anyone know what this is or have the same problem? I have an appoitment tomorrow @10:00am  n will post a comment what the doctor says
Hello. I was just reading a post you had about your son having a lump on his forehead in 2009. If you don't mind, could you please email me to tell me what the outcome was of it? My son is 2 and has had a lump in between his eyebrows since birth. It has risen and grown from a marble size to a half-dollar size. He has an MRI next Friday, but I'd really like a heads up as to what we might be dealing with here. I would REALLY appreciate it if you could tell me your son's story. :) Thank you so much!
***@****    Heather :)
My son has that although he's had it since birth and the docs said not to worry about it.  Tonight I started stressing out cause as he grows, and his head grows, so does this hard bump!  Also since birth, it's always looked like a bruise.  Kind of grayish.  So strange.
How's your little cutie doing?

Omg thank you so much guys im so worry I have a 1 year old and he has the same simpler stuff im so worry im crying I have juat notice my son had 1 under his lower ear and now I notice he has more all over the bottom of his head I so worry I wanna take him Wright know to the ER :"""(
My little boy that is 3 1/2 months old has something just like you have described....did you find anything out about it?
did you ever find out what this was?? sounds like what my son has on his head.
My daughter had this and really bad cradle cap. The doctor said the bump was a lymphnodes that her body produced to fight off the cradle cap.
What was her diagnosis because my daughter has the exact same thing in the exact same spot!!
Hi, I've just discovered the same sort of lump on my 4 month olds head in the same position, at the top left towards the front and i haven't been able to have it checked yet. Its quite big like a thumb too. What was the verdict with your childs lump? I'm very worried.
Hi, I've just discovered the same sort of lump on my 4 month olds head in the same position, at the top left towards the front and i haven't been able to have it checked yet. Its quite big like an adult thumb. What was the verdict with your childs lump? I'm very worried.
Why doesn't anyone ever get back on this site and post the outcome? My granddaughter has a small hard lump on the back of her head and I was hoping to get some answers here. Please parents' come back and post results!
Very often they do come back if you take a scroll down ,this one has been unlucky ...you can send a note or a PM to the members who start the thread and ask how their child is doing ....
i'm a 31 year old mom and i have a hard almost pea size bump on my head about a 1/2 inch behind my ear, it has been there all my life and never bothered me at all. i have a 6 month old son and he has the same thing only his is above his temple, he too was born with his bump as i noticed it as soon as i delivered him. dr said it's nothing to be alarmed about, just to watch it to make sure it doesn't change in size or appearance. he's not bothered by it and is thriving just fine, he's actually ahead of himself age wise with the things he does and milestones. so as long as it does't bother the child, he/she is thriving well, and the bump does't change in shape, color, or size, it shouldn't be cause for alarm.
did you find out? my baby has the exact same thing that you described...  I don't want to do x-rays on it and we went to dr. today and they were stumped. ANything you learned would be a blessing. thanks!!
My 10 month old daughter has lump on her right frontal scalp just into the hairline. We noticed the lump when she was 3 months old, the doctors told me not to worry because it was probably just a cyst. I was also told that where it was located there is a vein running over it and they couldn't try to get a biopsy.  My daughter has mild cerebral palsy so she sees a group of doctors at our Children's Hospital. They were perplexed because it was hard and didn't cause her pain and was the size of a pea. So a routine MRI was done and the radiologist's impression was that it was either a sebaceous cyst or chronic soft tissue hematoma.  Since the MRI it has grown in size and shape and causes her pain and we also found another lump on the back of her head (the size of a pea). Now they will be doing a biopsy.  So worried as well. Not getting any clear answers yet!
did you ever find out what that lump was?? my daughter has the EXACT same thing you are talking about on this medhelp website
Thank you!  You are the best!!!!  You are exactly the voice of reason we all (knew, but) needed!!