Pediatrics Community
Odd eye-crossing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Odd eye-crossing

My 3 year old has just discovered crossing her eyes, which she thinks is hilarious. The thing is, I have noticed that when she does this, only one eye (the right one) turns inwards, the other stays pointing straight. I have not noticed any other tracking problems with her eyes, it only seems to occur when she tries to cross them. Doesn't seem to worry her. Should it worry me?

Cheers,

Colin
I have no answer to your question but the eye care forum may have and here is a link      kidshealth.org>Parents>General Health  may be of interest , you may want to check it out...

Just through my own experience so please dont panic as sure it is not always the same in everybody.

I have three chilren of 8,5 + 3 when my middle child was four i noticed one day after school that one eye slightly turned in and immediatly had suspicions that he may need glasses, as i had a lazy eye and poor vision as a child.  I booked him an appointment to have his eyes checked and I was right but extremly supprised that they were so bad.  he has a lazy eye and is extremly long sighted.  when he got his glasses the first thing he said was mum i can see your face, my heart instantly melted and i felt horrific. and couldnt work it out he could write and colour in perfectly he just somehow had managed. His sight has inproved since wearing glasses but he has a long way to go and is having patch therepy at the moment

Both my other children have perfect vision.  

One thing i have noticed though is my eldest son can make himself cross eyed but my son with the lazy eye can only control one eye, and I am the same as one of my eyes is still weak.(i didnt wear my patch as a child when i meant to)

What you are noticing in your daughter may be a sign of a weak eye so concerning her sight i would suggest an eye sight check.  due to her age you may have to get a referral from your gp but some optitions do see children as young as two.  

one other point is just because you have a week muscle in one eye that doesnt give you full controll doesnt always mean you cant see through that eye. but if left and the and it starts to turn the brain stops using it and can then reduce the vision over a period of years (so ive heard)

Hopefully it is nothing as i am sure is the case.  but if it does prove to be a sight problem it is fantastic you have picked it up so early as childrens eye dont sully develop untill they are around 8-9 years and its amazing what they can do.

keep me posted as to how you get on
how did you get on did she have a eye test??