Pediatrics Community
Wind phobia in 3 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Wind phobia in 3 year old

Hi there. I know this issue has been brought up before but im hoping to hear any success stories as im so upset for my DD.

Basically, we were in a storm about 2 mths ago while outside having dinner. The large umbrellas fell down around us and my daughter was pretty shaken with all the commotion. She mentioned it a few times a week later. Then it started getting worse to the point she doesnt want to play outside at all. She is terrified if its even a tiny bit windy/breezy. She really doesnt want balcony door open but i insist on it..... Trying to 'desensitise' her from the phobia. She will stay in her room when its open.  we have tried the kite idea, weather charts etc

I did contact a child psychologist who said to keep bringing her out as i normally would, which i have been doing but its so upsetting to see her so distressed and beghing me "please please mama, i want to go home". I also have a 19 mth old DD and 28 weeks pregnant.

I guess im just hoping to hear from anyone who's toddlers got over this. Its just so upsetting and worrying.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read.
I have not had this experience with mine but I am wondering if its getting her more attention, are you reacting to her fears , the fact you have another child she may have some feelings of jealousy as most do, and the fact she hears talk about another baby .Try ignoring the issue make no mention of it see if she quietens down ,and possibly stay out of storms ....
Thanks so much for ur response. She does seem genuinely scared in the wind, but yes we ar trying not to give it too much attention. Its just o hard to see her in that state of fear.

I guess its just going to take time and patience.

Yes and I would still make no mention when the weather, dont know where you live but its spring here now and no strong winds,thats would give her time to feel better .