Pediatrics Community
vagal response?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

vagal response?

My six year old daughter recently sprained her ankle.  As she was crying and clutching her ankle in a seated position, she fell over and her body went totally rigid ..she remained stiff and tonic for about 20 seconds and was completely unresponsive.  She had never done anything like that before and all I could think was that she was having a seizure.  When she snapped out of it all she said was, "I am so tired."  She remained lethargic, but alert and responsive for several hours at the ER.  Her CAT scan was normal and the doctor said it was probably a "vagal response" to the pain and fear of the sprained ankle.  My question is this ... is it typical for a vagal response to a painful injury to present in this "seizure-like" manner?  I am just worried to death that there is something else going on that was missed.
Hi Has she displayed any other symptoms , is there any Anxiety you can see , Happy at school? with Family etc. Make sure she has plenty of things to do as she could be trying to get more attention, mostly talk to her.Of course if you have any concerns about her health go seek advice from your Doc.
just got back from the ER for an allergic reaction with my daughter, who 2 hours after she received medications had what the doctor called a vagal response. Our situation was a little different, my daughter was talking to me then out of no where passed out, her lips turned blue and her oxygen saturation dropped. this all lasted about 15-20 seconds and she opened her eyes with a doctor and paramedic standing over her. She like your daughter acted like nothing had happened, although she did not become stiff or shake. My thought is to always get a second opinion from your pediatrician and if your still concerned get a specialist involved. Its better to be safe.  
My grandson of two years had vomiting episodes this morning (about three). After the last one, in  his eyes you could only see the white part, and he  was like fainting.  That only last for about minutes and after that he fall asleep then when he wake up he was ok. He has been diagnose with a pnewmonia.  Was that a vagal reflex?