Pediatrics Community
worried about anterior fontanel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

worried about anterior fontanel

I am fairly sure that my 13 month old child's anterior fontanel closed sometime between 6 and 9 months of age, but I just realized that the spot where it closed is raised up like a bump. I'm not sure what a normal fontanel is supposed to feel/look like when it closes. I'm starting to worry that it is not actually closed but bulging. Is a bulging fontanel firm like bone? Any help is greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty sure you are experiencing something similar to my little boy.  He is 12 months old now, but I noticed the same thing on him around 8-9 months old.  He has a bulge or bump that forms a line along the center of the top of his head (front to back directionally).  I asked the doctor about it at his 9 month checkup since I was worried about it, just like you.  She said it was just that his sutures closed and she wasn't worried about it. My daughter never got a bump when her sutures closed, but maybe my son will just be one of those people with a "lumpy" head. I would definitely check with your doctor though.  I've noticed that doctors can often give differing evaluations on things.  Hopefully, your doctor says the same thing to you about your baby, and that it isn't anything to be worried about.  I would be interested to know what you find out. Good luck.
Not sure if you two are still checking this posting site but I was googling around and found this site...
My nearly 3 year old's fontanel site is a hard, slightly pointy bump - it feels closed (which is supposed to happen by 18mo. +/-) but she says it hurts a bit when I press gently on it.  I'll call the ped on Monday - we've seen a neuro but I don't think it was this pronounced.

Fwiw, the bulging fontanel is a problem when the baby's young and it's still a soft spot... especially if the baby's fussy, etc., always check w/the doc.  Not sure if it's an issue as a toddler and it's a closed spot... or maybe this is a weird fusing/closing issue - if we get an answer, I'll post here.

Best, Catherine