Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Expert Forum
Back pressure and pain

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) FORUM. This forum welcomes questions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Back pressure and pain
I recently was diagnosed with pelvic organ prolapse. I have a stage 1 uterus prolapse, stage 2 cystocele and a stage 2 rectocele.
I went to a Urogyneologist and got fitted with a ring with support pessary. It's easy to insert and remove the only problem is I am uncomfortable with back pressure and pain. I've only worn it about 5 times and each time I have the back pressure. Also, I have pelvic pain and soreness for 3 or 4 days. The pessary is a #5 3 inch.
I ordered a #4 2 3/4 inch pessary with support and have worn it twice and I still feel the back pressure not as bad as the other one but still have some pressure and then after I take it out I have 3 or 4 days of pelvic pain/soreness.
I have an appointment again the 12th if April. I'm going to tell the doctor if possible if I can maybe try a #3 2 1/2 or even a #2 2 1/4.
Or any suggestions?  Please give me some advice.  I'm 52 years old. I like the pessary because I don't feel the bulge at the vaginal entrance. Just don't like the pressure, pain and soreness I  have afterwards. Please give me some advice.
The ring support pessary is a reasonable choice.  You may try a smaller pessary and see if your symptoms improve.  However, as the pessary gets smaller, it may be less effective in reducing the prolapse and may have problems with expulsion.  It is worth a try though.  J. Kyle Mathews,MD
Thank you so much for your information, yes I will try a smaller pessary.