Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Is the da Vinci robotic sacrocolpopexy operation suitable for a rectoce...

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Is the da Vinci robotic sacrocolpopexy operation suitable for a rectocele repair?

I am a 53 year old female with 2 vaginal births and have had a hysterectomy. I was just diagnosed with stage 4 vaginal vault prolapse, cystocele and rectocele.  The literature I have read up to this point about the da Vinci robotics describe vaginal vault and bladder sling mesh controlled procedures.  My surgeon is Elizabeth Geller of UNC teaching hospitals who has done extensive studies on this procedure and submitted several journal articles.  I am just concerned about the repair of the tear in the wall of the rectum which will be part of the surgery.  I haven't seen this procedure mentioned.  Is it a common part of the repair surgery?  Does this complicate the surgery if not?  Thank you.
Hi and welcome to the POP forum.  

I feel your queston about your procedure is very important and totally understandable considering you are about to go into surgery.  Clearly with a stage 4 vaginal vault prolapse together with your other prolapse and tear in your rectum wall you will want to remedy your condition and symptoms asap.
I am not sure about the term ' rectum wall' and wonder if your questions regarding your rectum need to be put to your surgeon with any other concerns you have.

Talk to your surgeon and also put your question on the 'Ask a Doctor' secton or Medhelp under both Urogynecology as well as Pelvic Organ Prolapse.  We have Drs who may be able to help you with what is a more technical question.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get on.  
Thank you for your response.  I have extensively researched the da Vinci Sacrocolpopexy surgery and do feel better about the procedures I will be having.  The concerns I have with this type of surgery are the trendelenberg positioning for such an extended time (over 2 hours), the positioning of the machine and anchoring to the sacrum.  I have a herniated disc at L5S1 so it is a concern that the mesh is stabilized by the sacral bones.  Some literature states the use of the S3 or S4 disc but others mention the S1 to S2.  These are all concerns I have recorded to discuss with my surgeon.