Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
vaginal hysterectomy and bladder sling recovery

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

i had a vaginal hysterectomy and a bladder sling put in to place back on May 13th. the only complications that i had was that i was unable to urinate on my own and so i had to wear a foley catheter for 2 weeks. now that is gone and i am using the bathroom on my own. i know that my husband and i are unable to have sexual intercourse for at least another 4 weeks, but we were wondering if other forms of intimacy like clitoral stimulation were safe during this healing time? i am afraid that it might hurt me before my time of healing is over, but he seems to think that it would be alright.. what are your thoughts on this? what would happen if we did indulge before my time is up and did a little foreplay? would it hurt anything as long as I didn't let him put anything inside of me?
It's really a good idea to hover until you are closer to heal curve the physician set for you; you may be able to engage in external stimulation in another couple of weeks but whenever you walk down this path, it opens the potential to getting excited to the point of "well maybe it will be ok to have intercourse if we are just very careful"-best not to set yourself up for that possiblity You need to give all incision sites plenty of time to heal up properly so the repair "sticks". Consider satisfying him manually (with your hand) and then just cuddling afterward. The additional time will pass b/4 you know it and then you can participate completely. Be aware that the first time you engage in intercourse you should take it slow and easy while you discover how things "feel inside".
Sher
Thanks Sherrie! That's exactly what I was thinking, but you know how men are. lol... We are both very anxious to see what our intimacy will be like after all of the healing is over, but I am not so anxious that I am willing to do anything that might set back my healing and recovery process.
So glad that you checked things out, we try hard to keep the guys happy but so important to recognize importance of healing first.
:)
You already knew the answer, I know, but we women usually have to get a SECOND OPINION before the guys will "believe" us.   I remember going through the same Q & A with my husband after each pregnancy too.  I say 'remember' because I'm 60 but we are still very active.  I had a stage III POP surgery this past Jan 2011 and things are coming along very well.  Good luck with your recovery.