Phobias Community
anyone heard of this phobia?

Phobias are a type of anxiety disorder where one has a strong, irrational fear of something that poses little or no actual danger. Discuss topics including social phobias, claustrophobia and treatment options.

anyone heard of this phobia?

for as long as i can remember, i have had a fear of floor collapse. i think it started when i was little and read in the newspaper that  truck had been under a bridge that collapsed. that seemed to introduce me to the possibility. to find out that something you've trusted can fail at a young age can be somewhat traumatizing. now i am scared when im in homes, apartments, etc... my husband and i - despite my opposition - live in an apartment unit on the top floor. sometimes it scares me and other times it doesnt. i get terrified when i think about how heavy the couch is, or the fridge, or especially the washing machine when it's loaded and running. i get nervous bringing home heavy bags of groceries. we are moving into another unit soon and its also on the top floor. im scared of the move. scared to move furniture in. i dont know how to overcome this phobia, but sometimes it can really interfere with my happiness. the thought of buying a home is not as happy as it should be because im scared of the top floors. ive told my husband repeatedly that i want a ranch. anyone ever heard of this?
It's understandable how your fear started.  Top floors and bridges aren't the only things that can collapse.  We have only to hear of sink holes and tornadoes and earthquakes to realize life is fragile and it makes us contemplate our mortality. Have you gotten counsel about this fear?

Trusting God is good and that He won't allow anything to happen outside of His will is very helpful if you are a Christian.  If anything happens to the believer, He will be with us through trial and if we die, we will be with Him, which is far better than down here.  Do you know Him?

I suffer with a mild version of the same.

I used to work in an office that protruded over the sidewalk and I was very phobic about it falling down. I had a phobia of lifts, and panicked every time I had to go into one and the other terrible phobia that I had was dealing with all the cables that were in the office.  I had to come over my fear because it was my job.  I still have a phobia about germs and will not touch door handles in shops and hospitals without covering my hand first or washing the door handle when I am in a hospital toilet room before coming out.

It is a type of phobia.  I am very sorry that you are being moved to yet another top flat.  

My fear probably stemmed from falling off a table when I was a baby.  
I am fine as long as I do not think about the fact that I am not on a ground floor.

Don't worry about your furniture being heavy, the structure of buildings are made so as to withstand the weight.

It may help you to see your doctor so that he can refer you for appropriate counselling to help you overcome your fear.  It is no fun living with a phobia.

Best wishes.