Physical Therapy Expert Forum
Chronic Hip Pain

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

Chronic Hip Pain

Hi John,

Hoping you can lend some expertise...9 years ago I injured my left hip dancing (ballet.)  Back then, I had x-rays done that did not show any damage to my bones so physical therapy was ordered.  I completed six weeks of physical therapy but continued to have severe pain in my entire hip area all the way down to my knee.  I also continued dancing, so I figured the pain was continuing because of that.  Soon after physical therapy my hip began to make a popping noise every time I lifted my leg in front or behind me, but never when I lifted my leg to the side of my body.  I went back to an orthopedic doctor and he suggested more x-rays, but never a CT scan or an MRI.  I went for the x-rays and when he took a look he said it looked like I had a tear in my cartilage and suggested more physical therapy.  He said I would eventually need surgery but not immediately.  I completed another six weeks of physical therapy and continued dancing.  My hip continued to "pop" and the pain continued, but at that point I was used to it so I just lived with it.  

Fast forward to now and I still have a lot of issues with this hip.  The "popping" still occurs sometimes even when I am just walking.  I constantly have pain that radiates all the way from the back of my body to the front and down my leg.  I have been told that I need to strengthen the muscles around my hip bone to keep my hip in place so I have worked for years trying to do so.  Nothing seems to be working.  I constantly have to "pop" my hip back into place because it literally feels like it pops out of its socket and just gets stuck.  I cannot sit for an extended period of time because the pain gets so severe.  I know I probably need to go get a series of scans done to figure out what the actual problem is, but I'd greatly appreciate any ideas you may have about what is causing my hip pain.

Thanks so much!
Sounds like you need to see a true hip specialist. You would need an MRI to look at the cartilage surface but also the labrum of your hip.  Depending on the location you live.  Dr. Bryan Kelly and Dr Steven Hunt are on the east coast and Dr. Marc Philipon and Dr. Michael Gerhart are on the west coast.  All of them are great hip specialists who all have dealt with dancers and athletes.  If the joint is unstable due to labral issues you will have to have a surgical procedure and will have extensive physical therapy afterwards.  If I was a betting man, I believe your symptoms based on your description are related to labral issues.  Good luck!  Wishing you good health, JAG
Thank you so much for your advice and referrals!!
it is best to see and consult your trusted health care professional to get an accurate diagnosis re your condition. Doing so will allow you to get proper medication to alleviate your hip pain.