Physical Therapy Expert Forum
Shoulder Injury (AC Joint?)

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

Shoulder Injury (AC Joint?)

I recently injured my shoulder while wrestling.

The doctor described it as an AC joint separation, but the symptoms aren't the same. I can raise my arm as much as I want, but it hurts most when I try to touch my opposite shoulder. The collarbone is sticking out as well.

What is it and what can I do about it?
You need to discuss with your doctor wha grade AC seperation it is.  Sometimes if you have a third degree seperation it will require a surgical intervention.  I would also ask the physician why he has not instructed you to obtain care form a physical theprist.  Do you have any type of healing fracture?  If you do have a fracture the physician will wait for proper healing before progressing to PT. Pt progression in the beginning will be slow and progress you back to full function. Let me know what part of the country you are in and I will recommend a collegaue.  Best in health, JAG
I had it checked out in Fredericton at a hospital that people gave pretty bad reviews, but progress is going well.

However it seems that my trapezius and rotator got messed up from the impact.
Please keep me posted on your progress.  Best in Health, JAG