Playgroup: Babies 0-6 Months Community
From breast to formula

WELCOME TO THE PLAYGROUP: BABIES 0-6 MONTHS COMMUNITY: This Playgroup is a support community where parents of babies 0-6 months old can discuss topics such as baby health, safety, developmental milestones, sleeping, feeding, crying, as well as social challenges and financial concerns. We invite you to relax, and stay awhile. It's your place to share advice and make new friends!

From breast to formula

So in the hospital the lactation consultant gave me everything I needed to know about breast fed babies but not formula fed. Its been about 2 yrs so I need some help remembering.

Ive been prepping 2oz of formula bottles and just watching bubs cues on when hes hungry. He eats, on average, 2-4 hrs and takes 1-2oz. Hes had 2 wet diapers today and 2 dark dirty diapers (merconium is what I was told it was). Hes had 8 bottles today alone. Which works with how much breast feedings hes supposed to have according to the chart the consultant gave me.

Im concerned because of the lack of wet and soiled diapers. And concerned about how the dirty diapers should look more yellow starting on day 4-5. He has a Dr appt scheduled for Monday morning even though I tried calling them today but the receptionist had me on hold for almost 20mins.
Oh he takes some serious naps too. Two to three hrs long. But at least hes in his crib! Im feeling accomplished with that at least lol. Now I just need to try sleeping in our bed instead of the recliner lol. Its like Im afraid to sleep because Im a HEAVY sleeper and Id feel bad if I didnt hear him :-\
Bottle fed bubs don't poo anywhere neat as much as breast babies. Not sure about the wet nappies but i would have thought there should be more but I havent had a newborn on formula so not 100% sure. And the yellow coloured poo I think is breast babies too. I think it is different with bottle aswell. If you search what should my newborns poop look like it should come up with some pictures as grossas that sounds it helped me. :) good luck. :)
Ps I would have thought bub would have finished those black tar like poos by now. Mine didn't do any more of them after my milk came in at day 3. But every baby is different. ;)
He had some yellowish ones today. They have me going on a 24hr timeline like day 4 was from 7p last night to 7p tonight since he was born at 652p the 14th. I did finally get a hold of the Dr on call last night and sorta broke down over the phone to them over the whole thing :-\

He was nice though and helped me vent before we talked. He said I was doing fine with the formula (I began making 4oz instead of just 2oz because he drank 3oz last night within an hour) and said formula babies typically drink 1-3oz during their first week anyway and said their diaper schedule is somewhat similar to that of breast fed babies except whereas babies that are breastfed are typically consistant with both wet and soiled, formula babies do get more wet than soiled diapers.

He made me feel enormously better though by complimenting me for having formula back up. Similac sent me a free container of the Advanced formula in April and I was going to donate it to my parents' church but we hadnt had the chance to do that yet so Ive been using it after we ran out of the ready made formula samples the hospital gave us in a free kit thing. I see WIC on Tuesday.
One more thing melza - does your little one sleep more during the day or at night? Bubs is sleeping the day away but keeping me and hubby up at night every three hrs lol. I know his Dr will likely tell me to let him sleep when he wants and eat when he wants but omg he slept at night better at the hospital. Its a bonus that my 2yr old has warmed up to him though. He doesnt mind sharing a room with him if we get bubs out asap when he cries lol
I'm glad your feeling a bit better about it all bri. It's crazy how every baby is so different hey. My guess would be that your bub slept well in hospital at night cause that was his recover sleep. My first was born later in the day and the first few nights he slept really well. Like 6 hours straight. I got all freaked out but the nurses said it was normal. The while labour experience takes it out of them a fair bit too. As for getting them use to a day night routine i do things different overnight then during the day. Eg only put one very dull light on at night for f eed time. Like a lamp of something. Very limited talking and looking at bub in the eyes. And then make day feeds more social. Have noise and movement and light and talking. And during day naps  
I find if I don't swaddle him he doesn't sleep as long. Therefor he sleeps better and longer at night. So I get up to a 3 hour sleep at night where as day.sleeps are no longer that an hour and a half. I'm pretty sure that once yours gets used to the formula and stuff he will sleep better too cause formula keeps them fuller for longer compared to breast milk which they digest a lot faster. Hope this helps a little. :)
I dont swaddle him because its been really humid here (might be registering 70 but feels like upper 80s). The AC went out too - go figure. I try being more active with him during the day but he wants no part in it lol. But we have him sleeping in a foam "holder" it makes him feel less drowned in the crib by holding him snuggly. I might try to take him out of it during the day and sleeping in it at night.

If I get a picture of it I'll try showing it to you so you can see what I mean.
I've got that fire cranking here. It's been horrible and cold and raining. Lol maybe you just have a night owl on your hands. Once he gets bigger it might be easier to change his habit. :)