Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Could PCOS be causing my miscarriages

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Could PCOS be causing my miscarriages

Hi! I am a 32 years old and I have some many questions.  I've had a total of 4 miscarriages throughout the years and every pregnancy ended at about week 6-14.  The first couple of times I got pregnant, I was on Clomid.  Sometimes I was prescribed Progesterone, to help support the pregnancy.  It would help my levels increase for a while, and then at or around the 12th week I would start bleeding.  Then last year I got pregnant, but the only thing I had taken around that time was an antibiotic.  Cannot remember what antibiotic it was, but I'm thinking it was Amoxicillin.  I've only had 1-DNC and the Dr's told me after the other miscarriages, that they completed on their own.  At the age of 5, I did have a surgery to take care of my Umbilical Hernia.  Let me not forget to mention, I have been diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).  Also if it helps, the Dr's never seem to be able to locate a fetus on ultrasound.  But sometime in the miscarriage process, my body does evacuate a small tissue filled cacoon looking thing.  Where could the babies be attaching themselves to?  Because this last time, June of 2009--- I had ultrasound after ultrasound and they saw nothing.  But after being given Methotrexate, instead of a surgery to remove any products of conception---- this cacoon made of tissue came out!  Does anyone know of any studies be conducted?  The Dr's never has any clue as to what's going on, but I've paid out so much money.  Then this is very stressful on me, as a woman to even think that I might not never be able to have a baby
Hey, ask your doctor about taking metformin during the first three months of pregnancy. It is usually prescribed to treat people with diabetes or kidney problems, but i believe that It's primary function Is to control the level of glucose, which your body excretes, into your system - this can often be a problem for PCOS sufferers.  High levels of glucose can affect the development of a baby in the womb.  This method of treatment was successful for a friend, but I am not a doctor and their may have been other contributing factors. Good luck! :)  
Hi, i'm so sorry you have had to go through that.  To answer your question PCOS gives you about a 50% miscarriage rate in the first trimester so yes it could be the PCOS.  It's really strange that they can't find the embryo on ultrasound.  I watched a documentary (don't remember the name sorry) where women were pregnant outside the uterus.  because our fallopian tubes are open at the end it's possible for sperm and egg to travel out of the tubes into your abdomen causing a baby to implant.  which if they only looked at your uterus it would not show up.  maybe that's why they don't show up, I really don't know anything else sorry.  I hope you find answers I can't imagine how devastating that has to feel.