Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
Need Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

Need Help

My son is 9 weeks old. And at first, life was great. I wasn't depressed or anxiety sticken. However, I stopped getting help when he was about 3 weeks old. I am on my own every night, and pretty much throughout the day because his father works long shifts. It's gotten to the point where I am having feelings of regret for having him, since I got pregnant unexpectedly at 19. Also, I have had thoughts of harming myself in order to try and get help from my mom whom I live with because I feel ignored by her. There are times when my son cries, and I get agitated with him. There are times where I just want to lay him down and run away. I've tried getting out and going on walks, but the fact that I have to bring him along, just seems to make it not work. I feel like I need to be away from him to get better, and I hate that. I feel like a horrible mother sometimes because of the thoughts I have and how I feel. I need advice on what I can do to try and make it easier to cope with... P.S.: I can't ask for help, if that worked, I wouldn't be asking this.
I was always told to put the baby in the crib or something where he/she is safe and shut the door and go outside for a few take a deep breath. Or just ask your mom if she could watch the baby for a few mins hours or whatever. Talk to her and tell her how you feel and maybe she would start helping you again when you need it.
I am sorry to hear you have no help. That can be really hard on a new mother. Have you heard of Postpartum Doulas? That is someone who can help you with your baby, if you need to just get away for alittle while. Also have you loked in your area for support groups for young mothers? Sometimes that can help, by finding other people that are going tru the same as you. It sounds like Postpartum Depression, talk to your doctor who can also help you. Hope this helped.
I agree w/ the other posters.  You have to get help one way or the other.  By doing nothing, things won't get any better.  tinkerbelle has some good suggestions.  I had never even heard of Postpartum Doulas.  Didn't know there was such a thing.  Anti-depressants can work wonders too.  Your OB can still prescribe those for you.  The sooner you do something, the better for both you and your baby.

I have had PPD w/ all 7 of my babies.  And I had my first when I was barely 18.  Remember that he won't be a baby forever too.  I know that sounds cliche, but when things get rough for me, I am constantly reminding myself of that.  When you really think about that statement literally, it's true.  He will get older and more independent.

Anyway, try to get intouch w/ other young moms in your area.  You can get together for play dates and get in some adult socializing time as well!  Best of luck to you!