Pregnancy 18-24 Community
1 week old- stuffy nose and goopy eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

1 week old- stuffy nose and goopy eyes

I had my daughter a week ago. The last couple days her eyes have slowly become more goopy. Today is the worst...to the point where she almost can't open her eyes. I've also noticed she's stuffed up. Can this be a cold already? She hasn't been exposed directly (that I know of) to anything.
What's the best thing to do- saline drops?
Doctor for one, but for the time being you can use a warm towel to help clean her eyes out and use a bulb syringe to suck the nose out, but you should contact a doctor.
I would try using breast milk. My Mum did it with us whenever our eyes would get goopy, works like a charm! There's so much good vitamins and nutrients for baby, and all natural. I would definitely try that before anything synthetic. Good luck!
Also, I've had friends that have had babies get stuffed up when they been eating dairy.  not an allergy necessarily, but a sensitivity to dairy products could be causing the stuffiness. When they have cut out dairy, baby has gotten better. Just a theory.. :)
I always advise better safe than sorry. Contact the doctor. U never know what a baby can pick up. Stuffy nose and goopy  eyes could be anything. Contact the doc, good luck.
agree doctor needs to see her. No one can diagnose over the net and with a baby that young you need to get her checked out. Could even be conjunctivitis x
Goopy eyes sounds like an over active tear duct. Warm compresses will help clear that up so she can open her eyes. Call her Dr though!
my son is 4 days old and has the same thing. I've been advised to use either cooled boiled water or breast milk. Use cotton wool balls (each only once) from the inside of the eye to the outside. The congestion is pretty normal after birth, all 3 of my kids have had the sneezes and coughed a little for a week or so, its usually just some mucus that they need to get rid of, but if you think it is excessive or are worried then your doctor is the best person to put your mind at rest.
Thank you all! I thought the same thing with the tear ducts except for the fact that she had a stuffy nose too. I did try the breastmilk in the eyes...it cleans it away than any compress actually.
Her stuffiness was worse in the morning and hasn't been bad through the day. She doesn't have a temp.
I too have been reading and many things have said it's normal. We have a midwife visit Fri but if it's going to get worse then I will call them for sure.

Oh yes and I've thought of the dairy thing for sure. My son was extremely colicky because of dairy and I kicked it out of my diet. I'm thinking I may do that with my little princess as well.