Pregnancy 18-24 Community
16 weeks pregnant with a terrible cold :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Hi Everyone,
Hope all is well.  Past few weeks I have had some congestion, but of course thought it was a normal pregnancy symptom and have been doing the whole steamy showing thing/saline solution to flush it out.  I wake up this morning with a huge headache, and I can feel mucus in my chest.  It is causing a terrible cough and it burns my chest.  I have a message into my doctor, but do any of you ladies know if I can take anything else aside from tylenol to get some relief?  Any recommendations/ideas would be greatly appreciated!  
From what I understand Robitussin DM is safe to take, and Vicks Vapor Rub is fine to use...as well as eucalyptus cough drops....I feel your pain :(. I've been suffering with an upper respiratory infection that turned into bronchitis for a week now and I coughed so hard and so long that I injured my back and stomach muscles...I was in the ER for it last night. I'm so tired of coughing, and I wrote in the "gross things" post about how I can't stop peeing myself every time I have a coughing fit, LOL..it's been pretty awful for the last week.

Hang in there hon, I'm sure your doctor will have some good advice for you....steamy showers are the thing that worked the best for me. Lie down in the bathtub, turn the water as warm as you want, and point the shower head AT THE WALL (obviously you can't take hot baths while pregnant, so make sure the water is on the wall) it will cause the steam that you want, and if you close the drain in the bathtub you can let the water fill up a little and keep you warm (by the time the water travels down the tile into the tub it's not too hot to bathe in, at least in my experience) and it's a very relaxing, helpful way to clear your sinuses for a little bit. of course they come right back later...but it's a nice way to get a break :).
I'm 19 weeks and have also had a terrible cold. My doctors and the pharmacist both told me that it was safe to take sudafed 30mg tablets. The directions on the package say to take 2 at a time but the doctor had told me to take 1. It seemed to help my cold.