Pregnancy 18-24 Community
31 weeks-head cold moved into my chest
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

31 weeks-head cold moved into my chest

Well, the head cold has now moved into my chest. I've been sleeping in a semi-sitting position so as to avoid too much drainage into my lungs. I went to the doc at the walk-in clinic on Saturday and all they could give me was a z-pac and told me to take both benadryl and sudafed at the same time (so bubs hasn't been as active lately, I'm sure he is just as dopped up as I am). It is already hard to breath when your this far along and now I feel like my lung capicity is almost nil. It's almost like there is an elephant on my chest. I get winded just trying to move a little bit.  I keep telling myself just 9 weeks left, but if this is how I feel during labor there is no way that I'll make it through. I almost feel like I have the flu, but I'm not vomiting and my temp is very low grade and at times non-existent, plus I'm still hungry (not sure if that is just casue I'm preggers though). I'm putting vicks vaporub on my chest but I can't breath through my nose so I can't smell it (DH says I stink of it from a mile away and DD thought it was cool so she wanted to have some last night too) and I'm not sure that I can tell a difference in my chest congestion either. There has to be something out there that I can take that will start giving me some relief. I think I need to make an appointment with my regular doctor and go see him. The last time I got like this, I ended up with walking pneumonia. I so, don't need that right now. I've also been putting warm compresses on my chest which seem to help my coughs be a bit more productive.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Maybe I should go get a humidifier and some of the vicks stuff to put in it and see if that will help.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
383382_tn?1323490991
You sound absolulty miserable!  I'm sorry you are so sick.  Definitly call your regular doctor!

I hope  you feel better soon.

Kazwel
Blank
408496_tn?1269606950
I know how you feel~  I am 36 weeks 2 days - and I had a head cold about 3 weeks ago and still feel stuffy and congested.  I was told that I could take tylenol cold/flu - robitussin cough syrup - cough drops - sudafed - benadryl - and I mainly switched off and on with these but the tylenol cold/flu work best, especially at night - My biggest problem was all my drainage went into my ears, instead of lungs.  I couldn't hear out of my ears and I got an ear infection.  Ears/nose are still stuffy today - but I promise it will get better.  Just watch that your fever doesn't get above 101 - if it does you need to go to the hospital.  That's what they told me anyways.  
Blank
304970_tn?1331429594
I would try a humidifier as well.. When did you start the z-pack?? I know that can take 48 hours or so to kick in. I dont know if Mucinex is safe but I would put a call in .I get chronic bronchitis and walking pneumonia and that stuff is great (for otc meds..) Better than Benadryl, Sudafed, or Dayquil in my opinion

I am sorry you feel so cra ppy.. I feel bad for you.. You are a week ahead of me, and I am keeping my fingers crossed I dont get the chest thing going this Fall, I almost always do and I fear the hard time breathing.. I am sooo sorry. Try and take it easy and hound your Dr until you get some relief!!

FEEL BETTER SOON!
Blank
408496_tn?1269606950
I too was told mucinex was safe - but check with your doctors!  I heard it does wonders (from another pregnant lady).
Blank
268356_tn?1236006204
Great, I'm going to call the doctor and see what he says. I'm almost to the point of begging for a breathing treatment, I had one the last time my chest felt like this and it really helped, but I wasn't preggers then either so I've been cautious about what I take. I will definitely ask about the tylenol cold and flu though because at this point I'm ready to say take the baby and give me some good stuff. Selfish I know, thinking it and doing it are two different things. I just need some relief, been like this for over a week now and it just seems to be getting worse. I started the z-pac Saturday morning so, if it is 48 hours for it to kick in good, hopefully tomorrow will be better. In the meantime, I think I need a nap course that is probably the benadryl talking.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pregnancy 18-24 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...