Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Hip and Pubic Bone Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Hip and Pubic Bone Pain

I have been experiencing significant pain in my hips, groin, buttocks, and pubic bone over the last two weeks and it is getting worse. I had my 12 week appointment yesterday and talked with my doctor about it, she said it is a normal part of being pregnant and that it is the hormones that loosen the ligments in you pelvic region and that mine are loosening a little earlier than normal. She also feels that it will get worse for me and told me to use ice and tylenol when needed. I have pain walking, sitting, rolling over in bed..etc. :(  I have been doing some reading and believe it's Pubic Symphysis Disorder even though she didn't give it a name. My question is do any of you have it and what suggestions do you have for me? Does the pelvic brace work?
I would definitely try the pelvic brace if you would think that it would help... I also remember the same pains with my second because I was so much thinner that time around. It seemed like something new hurt every day... when I hit about 20 weeks it seemed that my body got used to it and leveled out! I hope the same for you!
Ugh- I've been feeling that today!!! I did a lot of shopping yesterday so I assume that's why (for the groin pain).

As for hip pain, I've had that the entire pregnancy as well. Nothing you can do about that because your hips have to tilt so baby can come out of the birth canal.

Some people use those belly bands or maternity bands- that may help.
I'm experiencing somewhat what you're talking about, but mine might be a medical condition due to carrying and trying to give birth to an 11 pound baby.

I'm thinking I might have Bersitis.
I asked my mama about it because she's been diagnosed with it from carrying me and all my siblings which all over us were between 9 and 12 pounds. So I think part of my hip problems may be related to that.
But what doesn't make sense is that it quit hurting for a while after I had my daughter, then when I found out I was pregnant, like 3 days before I found out, my hips started to really hurt me alot again. Turns out I was 12 weeks pregnant again.

My hips never bothered me with my first baby until I started to get pretty big.
This started like you, at between 11 & 12 weeks. But maybe it has to do with your weight like nickie85 says, are you a skinny gal? Because I'm about 40 almost 50 pounds lighter than I was when I first got pregnant with my first. And things are alot different this time, the aches and pains are stronger and came ALOT earlier.

Mine is deep in my joints so Ice and heating pads don't do much for me, and tylenol NEVER did a thing for me.
Also, that acheyness in your pubic area is probably round ligament pain and that IS normal for your stage in pregnancy because that when the pain usually starts. Sitting up from a laying down position is the most commen one for me to set it off.
As you get bigger it'll get worse because I'm going on 20 weeks now and even COUGHING hurts me.
Just try rolling over and getting on your hands and knees to get up, and usually the doc will tell you to lay on your left side with pillows between your legs. This will minimumize the aches for the most part.

I'm sorry this is long.
Hope anything in here helps.
I have the same thing, but im 29 weeks.  I did have the groin pain early in pregnancy(ligament stretching), my dr told me that mine was related to sciatic nerve pain and the way the baby was positioned.  Im on my feet for 10 hours at work and the baby gets comfortable in a certain position then she wont buge later, and ohh my, the pain. Ive been off work3 days and i feel better now, its bad when i work and gets better when im not on my feet long.
Thank you sooo much for your responses! My friends that have had babies didn't have this pain until late in their pregnancies, so I just needed to hear from women who do and have had it. Thank you so much for responding...I did sleep with a pillow between my legs last night and I feel much better today, yesterday was a nightmare..I could barely drive, it hurt to touch the gas and brake pedals in the car! Anyway, thanks again to all of you!!! :)