Pregnancy 18-24 Community
no heartbeat at 5-6 weeks...:( should i wait or have the dnc

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

i went for my scan 2day my instincts told me it wasnt going to be good, baby measured at onli 5-6 weeks with no heartbeat, i thought i was further along but hey.i was told to have a dnc (ive had before) i cant stop crying and i dont know what to do this is the 3rd i have lost plz someone give me advice x thanks :(:(:(
How far did you think you were? I am so sorry. Maybe you should request to hold off on the D&C for another week or two and if you haven't naturally m/c then request a new ultrasound to see if the baby is still measuring the same. If so then, the decision won't be easier but at least you will know for sure.
I went in for my u/s last week and found out I was two weeks less along than I thought I was, so dont give up hope yet girly. There is still a possibility you and the baby are okay. You may just be off a bit on your calculations. And at 5 to 6 weeks they cant always see the heartbeat. Dont stress it yet. Ill keep you in my prayers.
These Ladies are right...it's not that uncommon to be off a week or two in your calculations. There's so many things to consider...so don't give up hope yet! I wouldn't schedule a D&C just yet...definitely wait another week or two to see if your baby has grown because if you are only 5 or 6 weeks, sometimes that's too early to see anything or hear a heart beat. Hang in there hun!
I agree with hopefulmommy2007 usually I have heard at 5 to 6 weeks you dont always hear the heartbeat. Don't give up so easily! I heard my baby's heartbeat at 7 weeks. Good luck!!!!1
thanks it helps alot  to know people know what im going through. my body is just full of raging hormones at the mo.i miscarried 2nd pregnancy 10 weeks ago naturally and fell prg (this one) before i had my period so maybe its just a lil messed up
Have Hcg levels drawn....that will be a better indicator of whether or not the pregnancy is viable....I would not go ahead with the D&C until you are sure.....Sorry that you have to go thru this again.....Lots of luck!
You're welcome hon. Keep your chin up and I wish you the best.
If you just Miscarried 10 weeks ago and you're already Pregnant again without having a Period there' a very good chance your calculations are off. With being Pregnant, than having a M/C and no Period..it's difficult to determine when the baby was actually conceived. I think you're just not as far along as you think...next appointment you'll hear your babys heartbeat :)
Wait! If you haven't got your hcg levels taken, request to have them taken. Then request for another ultrasound.  Sometimes at 5-6 weeks it can be early to detect anything.  In my case at 5 weeks I was told there was no sign of a pregnancy(no heartbeat, fetus, sac, etc.) nothing.  The only thing was a positive pregnancy test.  They told me it was ectopic and everything and said they had to take it out.  I told them "Hell no" and went to another doctor at 6 weeks and sure enough my baby was there, heartbeat and everything!! I am now 21 weeks and 2 days, after being told I was having an ectopic pregnancy...Don't lose hope. Are you having cramping and bleeding, if not then I definitely think you should wait becasue there is still a chance! Best of luck to you!!
i dont know if this will help, but i thought i was 6 weeks pregnant, and i found out today that i am in fact 5 weeks. Im not sure how i miscalculated but i did...anyway I was scheduled for an ultra sound to hear the heartbeat, but I was told most women dont hear a heart beat until after 7 weeks. I was also told you might be able to SEE the heart beat at 6 weeks which doesnt make sense to me, but it did comfort me bc I too had a miscarriage. So hold on, wait out  a few more weeks...i am just as nervous myself, but I know that i waited long enough to get pregnant, i can wait 2 more weeks to get another ultra sound....and so can you! Good Luck
I am sorry you are going through. I was told last week to consider a DNc too but then I went to anoter doctor and she said no way!!! as my numbers were still rising...I have waited also..wed is my u/s to see if we see anything and I am convinced to wait until my numbers HCg levels drop op there is a definite problem..after redaing all the stories of women being told to have a DNC and then waiting and finding a baby..I would hang on...some people don't see anything until their 9 weeks to 12 weeks pregnant...you won't hurt yourself by waiting....but you could end a viable pregnancy so HOLD on...and good luck...wait and see another u/s and get those HCG levels checked every two to three days...I hate that docs throw that DNC word out there without a second thought...it is almost crinimal. Hang in there I knwo how hard this is but you are not alone!!! and very positive stories have come out of stories just like yours!
thanks for everyones support has made things a lil easier x
NOOOOOO!!  You could EASILY be off on your timing....INSIST that you wait a week or two and have a repeate scan.  I think too many women rush into their docs suggestions when they still could have a chance.
I GOT PRG WITH THIS ONE BEFORE I HAD A PERIOD AFTER MY 2ND M/C SO WOULD THAT MAKE THINGS MORE COMPLICATED LIKE HIGHER RISK PREGNANCY ?
I don't think it would make it more complicated as far as high risk but it would most certainly make it more difficult to date the pregnancy.  Now I REALLY think you should wait 2 weeks and have another scan.