Pregnancy 25-34 Community
Low blood sugar problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

Low blood sugar problems

I'm 25 and 15 weeks (estimated... doc is actually thinking twins. Won't know until ultrasound on the 13th) with my 1st child. I've always been severely hypoglycemic. It hasn't been too much of a problem as I am very in tune with my body and know immediately if I am about to crash. Since I've gotten pregnant, though, it has become a rather large problem in our lives. Eating even just a handful of almonds now (my go to snack when my sugar gets low) will spike my sugar to almost 200 and I work all day to get it back down to an acceptable level. When it finally goes down it ends up crashing into the 40s and 50s, sometimes causing me to pass out as it's so sudden when it does. I've never had this problem before and it's freaking me out a little bit because I have no one to help me while my husband is at work. I was told when I was younger that I would never be able to  get pregnant and I'm so scared of losing this baby. I need to find someone who has had this happen to give me tips on what to do because my doctor has been useless in this. That little test he does apparently keeps showing an average blood sugar of 130 when I know that to be untrue. I have a glucometer and check my sugar regularly throughout the day. I've even shown him my meter's log and he still won't believe me about my spikes and crashes. He believes I'm just overly worried and that it's all in my head. What do I do?
I would probably look for a doctor that is high risk as they will take you more seriously and make sure whomever you picks believes you.  There needs to be trust between you and your doctor needs to help you eith this.  Good luck.  Sorry I cant give advice on the actual problem. But in two pregnancies I went to doctors that just laughed off things I said so this time I finally picked someone that listens and have so much less stress this pregnancy.
I'm limited in who I can see as I am former military and have Tricare as my insurance. The military only lets me choose from a number of approved doctors in my area and the next closest one is about 2 hours from here. Thank you for the advice though. I'd definitely do that if I could. I hate my current doctor.
Oh I am so sorry that is horrible that they dont give you more choices!
Yeah, I know. They take pretty good care of you while you're in but once you leave the military it's like they stop caring. The hospital is top knotch so at least that's a plus. It's just the limited choices and crappy service now that gets to me.
I was dx atvthe age of 17 had to juat watch my sugar with diet and excercise. I was gestational when I was 21, not when I had my daughter in 2009, then with my last baby boy less then a year ago, I was gestational again. However this time my sugars were completely out of control they would spike way to high then drop really low. I was working with a diabica clinic and we could not get my sugars to level out. It became very dangerouse for me and baby. I was at risk of going into coma. So my doctor swept my membrane and put in an 24hr emergancy delivery.  The next day. I was called by the hospital the checked how far along I was. Guess I was quite a ways as the doctor swept my membrane again and send me to the delivery room. 9 hrs later my baby boy was born we were monitor ed for 3 days our sugars stabalized and we could go home. Things will be ok just do the best you can. Good luck hun
I am trying my best. All I've ever dealt with was low blood sugar though. I've never dealt with spikes and crashes that make me pass out so it's freaking me out a little.
You should try to see a Perinatal Dr. He can help you with your diet and control your sugar levels. I have the same problem, but not that severe. I have been able to control my levels through diet. Also, don't stress about it too much because stress really contributes to those big spikes. You should also change your meter, sometimes they don't work properly. And make sure you drinka lot of water, no juice, and eat 5 to 6 meals (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack). You can only skip the snacks. I hope this help and good luck.
Im type 1. Pregnancy makes sugars go out of  wack. Drink lots of water. Keep orange juice ans glucose tablets on u. Make sure u check about 2 hours after u eat. That way u try to catch it before u feel dizzy. It takes practice to get in routine. Good luck
Also exercise regularly. I walk 30 minutes everyday.
Thanks for the advice. I do my yoga and exercises for about an hour every day but I will definitely get some glucose tablets. I just switched my meter out last month though and, as I said before, I'm very limited in who I can see out here because of my tricare but I'll see if they have any doctors on their list willing to travel for special appointments.