Pregnancy 35+ Community
37 weeks pregnant took opiates for toothache

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi I just became 37 weeks, my last OB appointment was on Wednesday. I recently went to the dentist for a took ache Thursday. The ache was so bad I was getting absolutely no sleep on top of the barley there sleep due to me being pregnant. I had some Vicodin left over from a previous doctors visit before I knew I was pregnant. I asked the receptionist over the phone telling her I was almost 37 weeks if I could take them until they could get me in there to help with the pain. She said yes, that the doctor prescribed them to pregnant patients also. Plus it wasn't like i had been taking them for a long period of time so they baby wouldn't withdrawal. So I took them over the two weeks before they got me in and my OB appointment.
I did not say anything to my OB when I went it because it completely slipped my mind once they told me I had to strip down. (Wonderful pregnancy tests)
Now I am beyond worried that It is going to show up in baby and cps will take her away. I am so worried I am unable to sleep and am at the verge of making myself ill. I am a worrier and I have just been completely stressed out about the whole thing. A friend told me that they test all of the babies born by testing their cord blood, my due date is May 24th - June 1st (This is my first pregnancy) Is there anyway it will be out of babies cord blood by then??? What should I do?? I am really, really worried sick about this. Please if you can help please do.
Vicodin is a pretty strong pain medication. There is a reason why you can get it only by prescrition. I wouldn't take it for a period of 2 weeks. That's a long time. They don't even let you take ibuprofen when you're pregnant! You should definitely tell your ob about it. And please, never ask a receptionist for an advice in such an important matter. She is not a doctor!
Talk to the doctor.  I also am surprised that if you had such a bad toothache that you need to take Vicodin (and if the dentist knew you were pregnant and taking it), they did not get you in right away to fix the problem in your tooth -- it is bad for the baby for the mom to have an infected tooth because of the bacteria it puts in your system.  I assume you have had it fixed by now?  Because if not, you might ask your ob-gyn to get you onto an antibiotic.
I have been suffering with awful headaches and I was prescribed by my ob codiene which is an opiate. I was told to take.only when necessary but I didn't like how.it made me feel so I only took it once. What I would say is never take any meds without consulting your doctor first. But do not stress yourself as thats no good for baby either. I would just talk to your.ob and be totally honest. I think.it would be extreme for the cps to get involved.