Pregnancy 35+ Community
Dr can't see fetal heartbeat at 8 weeks

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Dr can't see fetal heartbeat at 8 weeks

I've posted this question on another forum but, thought I'd try this one too.  I just turned 41 and am 8 weeks pregnant after my first m/c in October.  Yesterday, the doc could not SEE a fetal heartbeat and didn't give me any hope.  I know I may be setting myself up for more disappointment but, I'm desperate.  Is there anyone who couldn't see their baby's heartbeat but, then it showed up later ?  I have anther u/s next week and am hoping for  a miracle. Help anyone ......
I don't know of anyone personaly but I have read stories about not hear one until the 9th week, but I do beliee in moracles so I will pray for you for you, God Bless and Good luck Julia
sorry about all the typos I was trying to hurry so I could put the kids on the bus, best wishes
I am so sorry you are going through this, I personally know exactly how you feel and my whole heart goes out to you.
Did you have a vaginal u/s done by a trained technician?.  
Lisa

With my DS I couldn't see the heartbeat until 9 weeks  I was bleeding early and they thought it was a MC but they did another US and at 9 weeks he was there!!!!  He is now 3 and full of engry so don't give up hope...  I will prey that you have a good outcome
If you know the exact date of your ovulation and are 100% certain as to the time you conceived then the heartbeat should be there by 8 weeks.    Most heartbeats show up between 6w and 6w5d.  I went in for my u/s at the 6 week mark and they didn' see anything nor did they seen anything at 7w.  

I am skeptical about the poster above..she may have had her dates wrong.  Your doctor is probably right, but just in case I do hope they have you come back in a week for an ultrasound and you get that miracle.   And if the poster is correct, then i hope and pray you have the same type of experience.      
Hey Sue...welcome back.  Although I am sorry it is once again under stressful circumstances.  The truth is, at 8 weeks there should in fact be a heartbeat.  Did they run bloodwork to see if your HCG levels are dropping at all?  Also, in case dates are off, have them do another ultrasound in a week or two.  They can measure the growth.  I am so sorry my friend, I remember how hard this was on you the last time.  We are here to support you if it is bad news.  XO  Amanda
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies .  I didn't get my blood tests done that day - was called into the doctor's office first and then after hearing the news just wanted to get out of there before I broke down in front of everyone in the waiting room.  I'm going back today to do all those tests they checked off.  The doctor didn't give any hope and I guess I'm just allowing myself this false hope just in case the stuff I've found online is correct - my way of dealing with it. We're both feeling down but, a small fraction of hope.  We have another u/s with a technician next week - no, didn't have a transvaginal u/s.   Thanks for all your support, I really appreciate it.  
I wouldnt lose hope until they do a transvaginal ultrasound.  Many women dont see their babies at 8 weeks if its only a pelvic u/s.
I am wishing you the best!
Lisa
Sorry to hear how hard the doctor's visit was. I remember that all to clearly. Oddly enough I just kept smiling at the doctor to try to make him feel better or something. I have a problem with being empathetic to others and then myself :)! But the truth of the matter was that I was disappointed/mad/sad and wanting to turn back time. I hate that feeling. My heart can relate!
Hi Lisa,

Thanks again - keeping my fingers crossed tightly for next week. Not giving up tiny bit of hope yet.

Mochica,  

Yeah, I was stunned to hear the news and oddly was trying to make the doctor feel better ' cause he was so kind and looked like he felt awful for me. I felt the same emotions you went through and have gone back wondering if I'd felt a strange cramp that signaled a problem, or what I ate or didn't eat enough , what I could've done etc...etc....Its hard not to blame myself and sometimes feel guilty to see my dh so disappointed and sad. We're keeping it together and he's always been supportive.  I can't talk to my mother about this because she is too emotional and I don't have the strength to prop her up when I need the strength for myself.  Which means can't talk to my sisters in case it leaks back to my mother...Luckily,  I have this forum to turn to for support - everyone helped me the last m/c.
My friend went for an ultrasound at 6 weeks and they didn't see a hb, they wanted her to have a d&c, she said no she wanted to wait and get another sonogram, when at 7 weeks still no hb, told the doctor she still wanted to wait, when back a week later at 8 weeks still no hb, doctor told her she really needed to get a d&c, she said I will after 10 weeks, she went back a week later at 9 weeks and there was a heartbeat, something was just telling her to wait.  Her baby is now 6 months old and very healthy.
Don't give up hope.When you get the transvaginal ultrasound you will know.
Prevatt77- that is so encouraging and good to hear
All pregns are different, and I hoping for the best with you.  My doc told me at 7wks that he didn't see the heart beat, and that it should be there.  However, he never encouraged me to have a D&C, or to give up until I was sure it wasn't a baby.  He kept me coming back each week saying we will both keep our fingers cross.  After reading Prevatt77 story, all things are possible.  Stay positive...

Thank you all for your encouragement -  gave me alot more than a fraction of hope and today I needed it.  I was starting to feel negative and bawled in private this morning so DH wouldn't worry.  Still feeling nausea but, I guess that stays until the hcg levels go down....OR, maybe the pregnancy still viable ?!!!  Ooh, I am anxious for Monday.  I keep rubbing my belly and talking to it - will keep positive and thanks again all - you lifted my spirits.

I will be praying for you. Enjoy every day that you are pregnant as it is truly a gift.
********Debbie********
Sue, in my opinion the waiting is the worst part.  I hope and pray all turns out well for you, I know you have had a rough road.  Let us know how it goes, I'll be thinking about you.  Amanda
Thanks for your prayers Selaiwa - the fact that I did get pregnant 6 months after my m/c let me see that I'm still fertile - that's my "silver lining".  I have to hang onto that no matter what the outcome.

And thanks Amanda,  it does suck having to wait.  Do you know that learning that you are pregnant after all your m/c's gives me great hope and inspiration.  The first thought when I heard the doctor's knews was, " I don't want to go through that again ! "   I wasn't ready for another bout of emotional and physical pain. But, after reading that you were pregnant - it gave me alot of hope.  I hope yours is a successful and "uneventful"  pregnancy. Much happiness to you - you've given so many women alot of comfort in this forum and you truly deserve this happiness.

pray for me too I am Sonia I am 12 weeks but as per ultrasound I am 8 weeks and no heart beat is seen I have another ultra sound next week...lets see what happens...I believe in god.
Sue ive had 2 miscarriages but after giving birth to 2 boys I fell pregnant again at 7 weeks docs told me they could c a heartbeat they took blood tests and asked me to go bac 1st thing the next morning to take more on the 3rd day they checkrd my blood levels and said going by them tgere should b a heartbeat so they done an internal scan and it took 2 docs to find it but they did I give birth to my wee girl so try not to worry