Pregnancy 35+ Community
Sleeping pills and pregnant

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Sleeping pills and pregnant

I need some advice i am pregnant and taking sleeping pills (Zopivane 3.75 mg) I am trying to ween myself off but hard i am +- 3 weeks so i need some advice,

If i do not take it i do not sleep.
talk to your doctor....
i know unisom is just fine to take during pregnancy (my doc rec for morning sickness actually)
my asthma medications are also fine.
obviously you want to take as few things as possible while pregnant, but if you NEED them then you have to figure out what you can take.
Thank you very much, most of the Doc were i am which is in JHB (south Africa) do not have any other "Sleeping Pill" that i could take...So i don't know....

But thanks
Hi Nick932

I do not know much about Zopivane, but I looked online and pulled this from the drugs website:

There is insufficient data on safety in pregnancy, however, benzodiazepines may cause congenital malformations during the 1st trimester and neonatal CNS depression during the last few weeks of pregnancy; it is expected zopizane may do the same.

It is a class D drug

Given this information, I would seriously consider trying to take something else safer. Do you have an OB yet?  If not, that should be your first step, as they are the best at knowing what drugs are safe to take during pregnancy.  I am certain that your OB can help you find something else to help you sleep that is safer for the baby, especially during the first trimester.  

Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy!

My re said unisom and tylenol pm were safe, but only 1 pill.  Good luck to you.
I took sleeping pills during my entire pregnancy. I feel very guilty about it but like you I could not have slept without them. I took Zolipidem 1 pill, my ob-gyn was OK with it (it's a class B I believe).

But I would have stayed away from a class D medication, try to see your MD to get switch to a class B or at least a class C medication!
Well i only go to my Doc on the 23 Sept, But what i am doing is taking half and as of tonight i will take a quarter for a week and then hopefully i will after that not need to take anything. But i will ask my Doc about Zolipidem 1 mill not sure if we have that kind of pill our side but hopefully in the next week or so i will be completely off them....

But thank you guys for all your help.....I have been stressing....Thank goodness i don't drink or smoke so this is my "BAD VISE".....

Now on this note i also have implants that i had done about +- 3 years ago....NOW i am so worried that they will become saggy afterward. They are silicone implants, high profile....My breast before just had loss of tissue from my previous pregnancy's and weight loss....I was a 34B now a 34 DD (400 cc)....I paid R 15000.00 .

Other than that i am excited to be having my 3rd baby even though it is one hell of a age gap as my daughter is 16 and my son is 8 going on 9 in December, and i turn 36 on the 28th of this month...so yes was not planned ............

Mwha

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You may have to suck it up, take a week or two of sick time from work and wein yourself off of prescription sleeping pills-these are bad if youre trying to get PG or already PG as they can cause birth defects. I got off of Xanax and I was having to take that in order to get to sleep but I managed to go it, and now Im taking Melotonin and having no sleepiing issues at all. It was rough at first but I got over it. I have implants too, silicone and I do not care if they sag after breastfeeding... saggy breasts would be the least of my problems and you can always get them fixed. Yes it is expensive but I will not worry about it.