Pregnancy 35+ Community
preseed good or bad?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

preseed good or bad?

hello, we had a miscarriage at 7 weeks, in november 2010, and have been trying to conceive each month since, has anyone else tried preseed? is it worth trying...and some of the forums i have seen date back to 2007-2003 so not current, any advice aprreciated, also more info i have pcos and are 38 yrs old, my partner is 33
Hi there and sorry for your loss.  I just went through a miscarriage at 6 weeks and we'll be trying again just as soon as we can.

We have conceived with and without preseed.  As far as a lubricant goes, I really like it.  You really only need a small amount so the tube will go a long ways.  They also include little applicators so that you can insert it further up.  I'm not sure how effective it really is in getting the swimmers where they need to be, but it certainly can't hurt!  I do tend to run a little dry, especially with the use of clomid, so I like using it just for comfort reasons.  it's always nice to have everything in your TTC arsenal that you can possibly have, so I say go for it!

Best of luck to you!
Thank you for replying, I am sorry for your loss,  I think the good thing about this forum is other women and men know how we are all feeling as we have been there, I have ordered some preseed as i thought the same, have everything i can in my ttc bag, big hugs and hopfully we will both be having some good news soon xxx
I have never personally used pre-seed, but my best friend suffered a miscarriage after using it.  The more research she did, found that more women m/c with preseed than carry full-term.  I'm not really a fan of lubes to begin with, and tend to not usually have an issue - but if we do, we usually just take our time and try to work up some natural lube on our own.  Best of luck and SSBD!!!
I don't think it's good or bad.  I use it because like Birds said, it's a great lube.  If you read the info carefully, it's not really meant to enhance fertility and I don't believe it does.  The great thing about it is that it does not interfere with conception like most lubes do.  Even saliva can interfere.  That being said, I keep a stock as i do like it.  I have never heard of it increasing chance of miscarriage, I will have to look into that.   Sheaby, do you perhaps have more information on that, or a link to that study?  I would be very interested in reading it.
No, I never looked it up.  She was doing a ton of research on it after her m/c and she told me about it.  Since we have never really had lubrication issues, I've never really done much research on it myself.  I looked it up for the sake of this discussion, and while I don't see any studies linked to it, there are a lot of women that mention miscarriage after BFP when they used pre-seed, but went on to have a healthy baby on another cycle without it.  I don't know what the statistics are, sorry.
Thats interesting.  As you know, I have miscarried several times, and have used pre seed all but one pregnancy.  It sort of makes me think.  Its for sure something I will bring up with my RE.  Thanks for mentioning it anyway, I would have never even thought of it otherwise.  
wow - I'm really curious about this too.  This miscarriage I know we did not use it, but when I had my D&C last July, I know we did.  Interesting.  But then I think, early miscarriages are most often due to chromosomal abnormalities and not by something that we have caused, right?  Logically I just don't see how a lube could cause a loss, but very curious to hear what your RE says.
Very true.  I try really hard to stay on top of the current research, and it says that the high percentage are caused chromosomal issues.  They believe the remainder are either likely enviromental issues such as drug use, alcohol use and smoking..things like that and then medical issues such as  blood clotting disorders, etc. But I guess you never know....I am actually going to mention it today at my RE appointment.  I might be grasping at straws, but I am prepared to try just about anything at this point.  I sort of suspect it's probably just coincedental, but maybe there is something to it. I haven't been able to find anything about it though, and I was up much of the night with a crying baby...darned eye teeth coming in, poor little guy.
Most lubes have a spermicide in it, which is why some people suggest pre-seed since it's spermicide-free.  It's not a fertility helper though.  Mixing sperm with anything can create abnormalities in them, which could very well cause the chromosomes to not mix properly.  Logically it makes sense to me, but I'm also extremely over-analytical.  When it comes to the big BD, we try to stay natural - but I know that's not always possible with everyone since fertility meds are known to dry up a good percentage of women.  
So asked the RE about it, and got an interesting answer.  To start with, she agrees with what pretty much everyone here said..there is no evidence it does anything to assist with fertility.  No surprise there.  She said that of all the lubes on the market that don't interfere with fertility, this one is ranked the best.  Again, no big shock.  With regards to the miscarriage issue..she said that there is no evidence it can cause a miscarriage, however there is no real way to be certain.  She always tells her patients what Sheaby said...if possible, use nothing.  They just don't know for certain.

We obviously talked a lot about miscarriage, and she said no question that chromosomal abnormality do account for the majority in first trimester.  But, they don't know everything about what causes a chromosomal abnormality, so it's best not to introduce anything at all if possible.

Sheaby, thank you.  I would not have asked had you not brought this up.  Even though there is no real concrete evidence, I think I will be avoiding it in the future.  In my mind, better to be safe then sorry.
Well, to give credit where credit is due, my best friend is actually the one who told me.  I've been through a loss myself, and even though there is no actual proof that is can cause miscarriage, it wouldn't be right to know about the risks and not say something.  Thank you for asking your RE about and posting the answer!!!  I'm sure this will be a big help to a lot of women!!