Risk over 45?
Hi-I'm new here.  My husband and I have been trying for years to have a baby.  I'm 46 and he's 47.  I'm about 6 weeks pregnant!!  We're in shock.  I do have arthritis in my lower back and am pre-diabetic.  We did go to the doctor today and I tried to ask him all the questions I could think of.  But I forgot to ask if most women this age with some risks have the option to have a c-section.  Does anyone know this answer?  Thanks, Toni
Hi there!!  Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome to our community!  I'm glad you found us.

This is sort of a tough question, and one that probably only your Dr. can answer for certain, but I would think that with an arthritic back you would more then likely be put on bedrest around your third trimester.  If for no other reason, but the discomfort of carrying all that extra weight.  A c-section is typically only performed if there is a risk to the mother and/or the baby.  It isn't something they do because of age or anything, but again, with lower back issues it's certainly a strong possibility. I had my son at almost 41 and was all set to deliver naturally, but he was in distress so I did have a c-section.  They will always do what is safest for you both.  

I would imagine that you will be monitored closely because of the arthritis.  Also, in terms of other risk factors associated with age such as Downs Syndrome, etc. tests will be offered to determine if issues exist.

I am so happy for you!!  I too got a miracle baby after 3 years of trying.  I know many other women here will be so inspired by you and your story.  Again, welcome and congratulations!!

Amanda
There is a higher risk of infection with a c-section and it is surgery.  If you have to have a c-section for you and the baby then the dr. will let you know.  Anyone who has a baby takes a chance on a c-section.  The recovery time with a vaginal delivery is much easier just longer for labor sometimes.  They try not to do c-sections without a reason.
Some doctors are now doing elective c-sections (I saw it on "The Doctors" a while back). Keep in mind that labor has a purpose...for one thing, c-section babies tend to have more respiratory problems and it is thought this is because during labor the contractions and passage through the birth canal squeeze the baby's lungs and help them...

Definitely talk it over with your doctor and do some research on the pros and cons of elective c-sections.
That is interesting to hear that some are now doing elective c sections.  Where I live that is not what they do at all.  Christine is correct that babies born with c sections can have more respitory issues.  This is because the travel down the birth canal actually helps get rid of the amniotic fluid..kind of squeezes it out if you will.  But interesting to hear you can request it.  My personal opinion is that it should only be done if necessary for the health and safety of mom/baby.  The only reason I had one is because my son's heart rate was dropping with each contraction and they were concerned...he was most definately in distress.  

I don't get the feeling you necessarily want a c section, more that you are concerned about your back issue combined with labor.  Do talk to your Dr.  Good luck!
Thanks everyone for the posts.  I would prefer a natural delivery.  I will talk it over with my doctor.  I am also pre-diabetic, but am taking medication to help keep it under control.  Thanks so much.  Take care, Toni

congratulations on your pregnancy!  Wonderful news for you.  

Everything can be managed.  CS should be avoided if there is no clear medical reason.  

Do manage the prediabetes agressively.  

The stress hormones, cortisol etc released during natural labour also prime the baby for breathing on it's own.  THey also say that the bacteria the baby comes into contact with on it's passage through the birth canal play a role in normal immune system function.

Best wishes

I want to mention...labor is not nearly as hard on the back as actually carrying the baby...especially the last month or so! You might want to get a belly supporter (Motherhood carries them) to take some of the strain off your back.

Double check your prediabetes medications with your doctor to make sure they are safe during pregnancy.

You might be interested in knowing that studies show that physical exercise during pregnancy, in addition to a consistent carbohydrate diet, reduces the complications of diabetes in pregnant women, more so than diet alone. My local YMCA has a special water aerobics class for pregnant women, perhaps you can find something similar in your area.
Congrats on your pregnancy. I am 47 & my husband is 50.  We have been trying for 10 years.  We have 2 grown boys & 5 grand-children.  I am soooooo elated & truly blessed by God.  I pray you have a successful pregnancy.