Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Urinary incompetence

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Urinary incompetence

Okay this is really embarrassing but I have to know if others are going through this or if something is really wrong with me. When I was pg with my son, later in the pg, when I would sneeze I would occasionally pee a little bit.  Well now I am 9+wks pg and it is allergy season.... I am sneezing LIKE FREAKING CRAZY and peeing a little bit almost every time.  It is really awful, and I feel this should not be happening this early in the pg.  

Anybody else dealing with this?  
I don't remember how far along I was, but it happened to me once when I sneezed so after that, I started doing about 50 kegel exercises at a time whenever I thought of it, at least once a day. It never happen again, thankfully.

I also did a lot of squatting when I worked outside in the garden and never had any problems at all with hemorrhoids.
Been there, done that!  I've talked to my Ob about it too, and basically it's very common for women after previous vaginal deliveries.  He said that like VASusan suggested, doing some Kegels daily will help with the control issue, but also to try and urinate more regularly (if your bladder is fuller the chance for some leakage is greater).  Other than that, I wear pantyliners daily and as weird as this sounds, when I feel a sneeze coming on, I either sit down or raise one leg up.  (At least for me, there's something about doing that which helps prevent the leakage??)

You're lucky it's just pee... embarassing as it is to admit, after having my two sons vaginally, now if I have to go #2, I have to go *immediately*!  (I use to be able to "hold it" for long periods, or even hold it long enough that the urge went away... NOT anymore!!)

My husband has learned that when I say I need to use the restroom- for #1 or #2, it means I need to go NOW!! Get out of my way!! :) LOL
After the birth of my son, I had the same thing.  As the others mentioned doing Kegal exercises are great for strengthening your Pelvic Floor Muscles.  What's even better is doing Kegal exercises before and during pregnancy.  Another exercise that can help is when you have to uriniate, let some out, then squeeze to stop the urine from flowing.  Like turning on and shutting off a faucet.  It can be embarrassing, especially when you don't expect it to happen.  Wearing a panty liner will definitely save your undies just in case!   :  )
LOL I am 7 months post pregnancy and not pregnant and it STILL HAPPENS , hannahm when you go pee, try leaning forward, try to completely empty your bladder,  I found that I did not always empty my bladder with pregnancy everything gets stressed, hope your feeling ok

{{{{hugs}}}}}}  
it is very normal... especially after vaginal deliveries... but even after csections.. it is the pregnancy that really causes it not necessarily the deliveries. and even at 9 weeks... the uterus is starting to press on bladder causing more frequent urination. soooo if you dont empty your bladder completely there is still something in there to "leak" out when you sneeze or cough or whatever.

unfortunately i have had to deal with all of this most all of my life, due to being born with weak bladder muscles. and so pregnancy has really caused issues at times. good luck to you.
I'm in this boat too!! Right now as we speak...i've had a bad case of bronchitis and every time I cough or sneeze that happens to me.  I've resorted to wearing a sanitary napkin and changing it a few times a day to deal with this.  When I feel a sneeze or cough coming on...I cross my legs and tighten those muscles.  It's very very annoying!  BTW right now I'm 14w4d and it's happening.    I'm in trouble if anyone makes me laugh.
I'm so glad I'm not alone on this. I thought maybe I had really broke myself pushing my little jakey'pooh out :)  

The sitting thing really has helped.  I thought my allergies were acting up but I feel like absolute crud today... Hopefully it isn't the flu.  

I'll try the pee exercise stopping and starting.  I'm sure the people in the stall next to me are gonna be like, what the heck??!!

My next dr appt isn't until the 18th... I'll mention it to the dr then.