Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
pain on right side after c-section and tubal

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

5 weeks ago I had a c-section with my third child...the Dr. forced me to do a c-section because he was so big..10 pounds 2 oz 10 days early. I decided to have a tubal since I am almost 40.

The recovery has been much harder  than my two  regular deliverys and  now I am having sharp pains on my right side above the incision. Is that normal ??

I was on percocet but the dr. said it was too strong and that I am just  doing to much and I shouldn' t still have pain. The other medications aren't strong enough and I feel that I should be feeling much better after 5 weeks.

Anyone go through the same thing? or maybe somthing is wrong ? Any advice is appreciated.
5 weeks is nothing, your dr. is not very sympathetic.  you do need to go slow. it took me four months to feel somewhat normal.  it is a hard recovery, it is major surgery.  
Avatar n tn
Thank you. I recovered so quick with my first two so this is new to me but they weren't c-section. Did you have the pain on the right side as well..what is that?
4 months yikrs! Its hard with other kids and the worst is bending and  walking up the stairs.  She gave me some vicodin but only a few left and motrin does nothing. What worked for you?
get a belly binder, it helps hold you together, i was very sensitive, washing dishes was hard because the sink hit me right at the incision.  as for pain on the right side, for me it was the left - it is adhesions - scarring from surgery.  walking up the stairs is definitely the worst, i camped downstairs for 6 weeks.  no picking up other kids.  hire someone to help with housework for a few more weeks, really, you can't be bending over picking up things constantly.  some people i have heard had an easy recovery but i don't think you are baby to have a hard time - it is serious surgery!!!! my last c/s was nearly six years ago and i am still numb in that area.  
Avatar n tn
the belly binder does help even though it itches!! thank you for the advice I am going to try and take it easier. I thought something was really wrong with me so at least I know someone else went through as much pain.  its also weird  to be so numb. why is that Did you find any pain meds that  worked the best I feel that I try different ones everyday but besides percocet which she will not give me anymore the others dont work to well.Maybe just have to deal with the pain.
Try this for pain management:  2 tylenol and then rotate every 2 hours with 2 motrin.  Do this rotation every 4 hours and see if you get relief.

Example:

8am:  Tylenol
10am:  Motrin
12 pm:  Tylenol
2 pm:  Motrin
4 pm:  Tylenol
6 pm:  Motrin
8 pm: Tylenol

Also, you know you aren't supposed to lift "anything heavier than your baby" for 6 weeks.  Walking up and down stairs is supposed to be held off until week 3, I think.  They were supposed to give you a sheet of instructions after the c-section.

Good luck to you, I hope you get better soon.  The period after a c-section is pretty difficult to get through, especially if you have other children and responsibilities to attend to.
You are numb from nerves being cut during the section. Mine is 21 years old and doesn't bother me anymore but it doesn't really feel like anything different now but it did for years.
If you don't take it easy it  will take longer to heal and that much longer before you feel better. If you have to you may have to let some things go for the sake of recovery.
Congratulations on  your newest addition.

I just had surgery for appendicitis (i'm 13 weeks pregnant now).  Half a c-section, I guess.

Yes, it really does take time to recover from c-section.  The advice from the other ladies is good.

My doctor also told me that some pain at the incision is normal.  There is scar tissue forming.

Take it easy.  If the pain doesn't resolve or gets worse do follow up with your doctor.  There is the very off chance that it could be something unrelated to the surgery.

Sally
Pain in your right side as opposed to the left is very normal - my ob explained the reason to me as I was having the same thing until about 8 weeks.  I wish I could remember the exact reason - I don't want to give inaccurate info.  Hope you get to feeling better soon & try to take it easy!
What about bleeding with that pain. It's been almost 6 weeks since my c/s and have had a thin watery bright red bleed. And it has a nasty odour to it. Anybody experience that?
You could have an infection. I would get it checked out. After my friend had her last Csection it was taking longer to heal than her previous (it was her fifth Csection) had an order and was bleeding. She had it checked out and found out she had a staph infection. They had to reopen a portion of the incision to clean it out and put her on antibiotics.
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy
renae176 how are we suppose to know ... Comment
1 hr ago
renae176 commented on veronica0808's status
1 hr ago
melimeli commented on photo