Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
what is the sequential screen?

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

what is the sequential screen?

I went to the regular OB last week and he told me to make an appt for an 11 week sequential screen. he said that this is a non-invasive test that will test for Down's syndrome and a few other chromosomal abnormalities. I looked online and found conflicting information.

I have an appt in a couple of weeks. I know that I will get an u/s. Will I have the results the day of the appt? Or will I need to go back and get retested the following week or week after? Is the test a blood test or other?

Thanks,
Shannon
I have never heard it called the sequential screen, but I think what you are describing is the Nucheal Translucency perhaps?  I am having it later this month.  It looks for early markers of Downs Syndrome and other possible issues.  If it is the same thing, it is bloodwork followed a few days later by an ultrasound...completely non invasive.  I don't think you get the results the same day...however this is my first time having this test, so not entirely sure.  I don't think you actually get retested...it helps determine if further testing, such as amnio might be a good idea.  Good luck to you, and try not to worry.  I am sure all is just fine.  
Thanks, adgal. The OB did not mention the test as "Nucheal Translucency", but your description matches what he gave us. Bloodwork followed by an u/s - I've had lots of those so now I'm not worried.
It takes about a week to get your results!
I had it done in week 11. they do an ultrasound that lastged at least 10 minutes and let us listen to the heartbeat, which was very exciting. they also take bloodwork. then weeks 16 - 18 they do a second bloodwork. I had my test on Friday adn they called onday morning wiht the reuslts. they gave me the chance of 1 in 2800 that baby will have down syndrome (considering i will be 35 when igive birth, i thik it's not too bad), though they said it's normal. and the chance of 1 in 10000 that there will be cromosomial abnormalities. i am still due to get the second bloodwork done for a final risk assesment, which they said takes 5 dys to get the results.
Thanks for the input. I am 36 and I would be thrilled with those results. I think they only classify the results as higher risk and normal risk.