Pregnancy: Ages 18-24 Community
When is a baby viable?

Join other expecting mothers 18 to 24 years old for support and guidance through your pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

When is a baby viable?

I know this is a debatable topic, as some babies I have heard anyways have survived early delivery at 18 weeks. But what have you all heard? I am having an issue with my kidneys as you all may know, and I have a feeling that I will either be induced for it or it may send me into preterm labor. Im 18weeks 3 days.

Maybe im just being paranoid....after all I can't take my happy pills while pregnant lol.
According to The American Pregnancy Assoication a baby is considered viable at 24 weeks. I really hope everything is okay with you and you can hold out. Having a baby that early is very risky... Please Please Please keep me posted and I will keep you in my prayers...

Lindsey
34.6 weeks
I was told 26 weeks is when it becomes viable
Well it's possible for a baby in the early 20-weeks to survive, but there are always low percentages, there are so many risks, that even if the baby is "viable" it's still kind of iffy.. Like two different women could give birth to babies both at, let's say 24 weeks, one of the babies might make it and the other does not... Earliest known surviving baby I personally have ever heard of was at 21 weeks.
I hope things look up for you, are you on bedrest or anything? Try to take it easy!
I too have kidney problems and trust me I know it sucks but you just have to stick it out... I didn't take anything onther than tyelnol.. they are inducing me a little early at 37 weeks but my doc said even at 37 weeks he was hestitate to induce
I've read @ 27weeks the baby is considered viable.  Good luck.
i just had a baby at 24 weeks 8 weeks ago...due to incopentence cervix ...and trust me its not fun...hes been having his ups and downs but i was told by many nurses and drs. in the nicu taking care of him that i should consider myself lucky.....because he hasent suffered any major issure like the brain or heart and he hasent had any surgerys...many babies born that early or even earlier go tru so much just in the first week of life....hes doing really good now...hes eating gaining weight little by little considering he was born 1 lbs 7 oz ..hes still on the vent but they are weening down the rate little by little...being mon oxygen saves their life but it can also cause damages in thier lungs and eyes..so far hes got chronic lung disease which its somenthing he will grow out of once hes older and bigger but babys born this early are always going to be more delicate health wise than babies born full term...and theres also lots of babies in the nicu who are born full term and have problems....but in this last 8 weeks ive been doing a lot of reseaches and asked many questions to my drs. i was told that they considered viable @ 24 weeks thas when they have the most chance of being born and surving with miror problems...but like one post said before i read a story of a little girl being born @ 21 weeks and she survied...also it depends on the sex of the baby too, they say girls respond better than boys...but my little guy is proving them wrong...and again all this is stated on statistics...i would say pleasee pleaseee do your best on staying off ur feat if you can strict bed rest and suck it up till the due date....good luck!!
I was hoping someone would say that a baby is viable at 18 weeks lol, not that im in danger or my baby is in danger, but im really scared for this pregnancy as it is my last. I know it's my last and I want everything to go smoothly.

Im hoping if I stay ontop of my medications and antibiotics that things will turn around. I have taken soda out of my diet completely, so it is only 1 cup of 1/2 caffiene coffee, juice, and water from now on.

I really don't want to be induced as I feel the natural way of going into labor is better for both me and my baby.

I will continue with my diet and medications and just take it one day at a time, and whatever is in store for me I will deal with it as it comes. Thank you so much for your info and help. I know I will make it, and I know baby will too, just got to stay positive.
BTS~ as long as you are careful and watch for the signs of early labor or contractions. You should be safe.

I agree with hearing the earliest surviving baby was 21 weeks. She was the size of a ball point pen. I wish that I could find the article about her from MSN.com. it was a MIRACLE that she lived, and she is the first known baby to survive that young.. it's made them reconsider abortion laws because of it!
you can just google it....21 weeker miracle baby and it will come up!!
Oh and on a side note, STAY HYDRATED! I'm sure you know that, but drink plenty of fluids, this is particular in your case. I'm not totally sure if it helps with the kidneys at all.. Water is good for you and flushing out your system, but I know that being dehydrated can definitely help in triggering preterm labor. So yeah, take it easy and drink lots of water is all the advice I can offer, unfortunately. :(  Hope everything turns out okay.
The earliest surviving baby was born at 18 weeks, but generally, viability is considered 24 weeks.

It's near the bottom, but says there's two cases of surviving preemies at 18 weeks.

http://www.christianliferesources.com/?library/view.php&articleid=1253

I'll keep you and your baby in my prayers. Hope everything works out okay for you.
Thank you very much, I have been feeling a lot better as far as my kidneys go, but it doesnt mean im out of the woods yet.
im sure there are some miracles but at 18 weeks and 21 weeks the baby will have serious issues the greatest chances of survivial i think its 24 weeks and beyond but at 24 weeks you will still have a baby in the hospital for quite sometime
Google Sherri from The View---she had her son earlier then 24 weeks i think.
stacey10 commented on stacey10's status
1 hr ago
KTowne commented on renae176's status
KTowne, and Hollus commented on KTowne's status
Track your weight throughout your pregnancy
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy