how long before miscarriage occurs if i have blighted ovum

I posted yesterday as I went for a first scan, I am 7 weeks today according to my lmp, the lady scanning us saw & pointed out the yolk sac, and said the pregnancy looked fine for how far along I should be.  We were then taken into a room by another lady who told us the reason the baby could not be seen could be for 2 reasons. 1 being the baby is too small, the second and in her words "the most likely" blighted ovum as the sac is 21mm and the baby should be seen by this point.
I feel really frightened now that at our next scan in 6 days they arent gonna see any improvement & suggest & d&c. If this pregnancy is blighted ovum, how soon would I expect to miscarry?
I have had no bleeding & still have all my symptoms.  Would it be quite quick or take a while?  I had blighted ovum with my second pregnancy, but had a d&c, wish I had waited and let it occur naturally now, as I have doubts about the competency of the consultane that gave us the bad news after the scan.
I am so sorry you are going through this worry. As long as you are having symptoms then I woudln't worry too much about it.

With my first m/c I had no symptoms to begin with and so had no reason to suspect I would find myself awakened one morning by the actual m/c occurring. So I have no idea how long the preg wasn't viable. I was 6 wks when it passed.

With my second m/c I knew something was dreadfully wrong one night when I went to undress and my brests were no longer sore. I just knew I had lost my baby. But even then it took me several days to miscarry naturally. I was 6 wks when I lost symptoms and 8 wks when it finally passed.

Again, as longa s you have symptoms, then don't worry. I think it's awful that that woman told you that you "most likely" have a blighted ovum rather than saying "it might be a possiblity, but let's wait and see".

Thanks for your speedy response, this is my fourth pregnancy, the other 3 failed, but I can't remember if I lost my symptoms with the second pregnancy that was blighted ovum or not, I remember I did with the miscarriage, like you said I lost my sore boobs but didnt really think anything of it until I started bleeding.
I just want to wave a magic wand and have a healthy baby here.
Are you pg at the moment?  If so how far are you?
Yes I am 17 wks. And I knwo what you mean about the magic wand. How I prayed and hoped for that with my last m/c. To just reverse it. Although, someon shared a story on here once about spirit babies. Something about how babies are with us all the time and when we lose one, it gets to be first in line to be born. I know I butchered the story but that was the gist. I will be praying hard for you that this is YOUR time to get your "spirit baby".
I never heard that before, so basically the first baby we lost's spirit should be that of our first baby that lives?
17 weeks seems ages off to me, so you will be due around christmas time?
I am due ON Nov 26 but the OB wants to do a c-section two weeks before my due date! We shall see!

I know it seems like a long wait, but trust me. It passes befroe you know it!
I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that with a blighted ovum you will see nothing, not even a yolk sac.  I was told by my doctor, that there are 3 stages to see in early ultrasounds....1st a sac, then a yolk sac inside the sac, then the actual baby.  I was also told that once a fetus dies, you will most likely lose symptoms of pregnancy.  Keep a positive mind about it until you have a good reason not to.  Don't let yourself worry too much, because if the pregnancy is still a healthy one, the stress could cause you to miscarry anyway.  You should definitely wait until your next scan and see how that goes.  If they have already seen a yolk sac, then by next week they should see a baby.  Good luck!
I too didn't have any pregnancy symtoms with my three miscarriages...with my fourth pregnancy I was sick, tired and had sore boobs and I delievered a healthy baby with that pregnancy. So I think it's a good sign that you have symptons...I'm sorry but what is a blighted ovum? So when you had your u/s you were 7 weeks and saw a yolk sac but no fetal pole or heart beat? If you ovulate late and not when most people do then maybe you aren't 6 weeks yet sometimes I think doctors forget that not everyone ovulates at 13-15 days....Wait it out and see what happens I do think the pregnancy symptons are a good sign. All of my miscarriages were between 6 -8 weeks...I may not have started cramping until 10 weeks with 2 of them but when we did the u/s they said it was the size of about 6 weeks so that was when the problems occurred. I will be thinking of you. I've been there...have they done any testing for you yet? With my fourth pregnancy they gave me progesterone and it seemed to have worked and this pregnancy I am getting the same shots....
I had a d&c after an ultrasound report indicated fetal demise - I was about 14 weeks.  I know that where I live you have to push for a d&c, or wait.  One of the girls I work with had a similar case, fetal demise on the ultrasound, and didn't actually miscarry for SIX weeks.  I couldn't bare it, and went to an abortion clinic three days after finding out my baby had passed - and by the time I had the d&c it had disintigrated.  Do you have a family doctor who would receive the ultrasound report and be able to tell you more?
I was told the same thing as you. A blighted ovum does not contain a yolk sac, it will be completley empty.

thank you all so much for your responses, it has really helped put my mind at ease, I think there is something going on inside me as I've been throwing up since the scan on Monday, maybe someone is trying to say "I am here"
My doctor would be totally useless at trying to decipher reports from the hospital, he is very dithery for a doctor I think and I don't have much faith in him.
I also read that a blighted ovum would not contain a yolk sac, it is basically just a pregnancy sac with nothing in it right?
I am going to remain positive until next Monday and will let you know how it goes.

Once again thanks very much for all your kind words
Claire
One more thing I think it's a good sign you have been sick since the last ultra sound...why would your symptoms being getting stronger if you were going to miscarry???? Tty to stay positive when you go back you just might see your babies heart beat!!!They didn't do any blood work to check your HCG level to see if it was rising or dripping???
I am however taking progesterone suppositories twice a day, will they do the same thing as the shots? I think it has helped put my mind at ease some, I am taking baby aspirin too and folic acid in 5mg to rule out another birth defect pregnancy.
Claire,

I was curious what web-site you found about a yolk sac seen on a u/s not being a blighted ovum?  I have been doing research on this myself and also found the same thing on another post response from a OB/GYN.  I would like to find out more documentation on that.  Like one of the other gals that posted, I too wish I hadn't had a D&C.  I think there is a good chance that I could have had a viable pregnancy.  I have read on another post cases of women such as yours who had a yolk sac but no fetus showing, who ended up having their babies.  So, there is hope!  I wish doctors wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly and freak mother's out when they are at the peak of their emotions.  It seems like they are so quick to doom a pregnancy.  I think it is horrible.  This web-site has some encouraging cases: http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/1311584/thread/575970?i=0#go  

Also, Misty's case which is just like yours:  http://www.babycenter.com/comments/pregnancy/pregcomplications/1355753

Let us know how it goes.  I'm sorry that you are going through all this torment.  Has your doctor taken a hcg test?  That is also very important and crucial.  If he hasn't, kindly demand one.  Take Care!
I am so sorry I didn't realize you had a baby at 16 weeks along with your miscarriages. I really do hope everything works out this time. Yes I think the shot is the same thing and the first time we tried it with me I finally was able to substain a pregnancy! They are doing the same thing with me right now. I know exactly what you mean about easing your mind...the minute I found out I was pregnant this time I couldn't get to the doctor's office fast enough to start the shots!It just makes me feel better knowing they are doing something to help the pregnancy!They made me wait for three miscariages also before testing...I think they ran a few test after two of them but they were heisitant I really had to push. One was the chromosome testing on both my husband and I. When that came back normal he tried one other test and then said try again....Then I miscarried again and he ran more test and then tried the progesterone!!!! Please let me know what happens at your next appointment.
I too have read this week about a yolk sac not being a blighted ovum.The presence of the yolk sac means a baby was developing,so its not a true blighted ovum,but intrauteriun fetal demise.I'm so sorry your going through this,i am also.The not knowing is the hardest part.I find out tommorow if i am indeed still pregnant,or if my baby has passed and my body absorbed it.That thought just gives me shivers.God bless,and my thoughts are w/ you.
the hospital have done basic tests which showed my body never rejected any of the pregnancies, it was literally a problem with pregnancy itself, the problem is my dh and I cannot have extensive tests unless we miscarry this pregnancy, as the first one was not a miscarriage. I delivered our baby at 16 weeks, it had a birth defect, so I have basically only had 2 miscarriages and am not seen as at risk yet.
I am praying that it doesn't get to the next stage though.
I was curious what web-site you read about the yolk seen on ultrasound not really a blighted ovum?  Thanks so much.  It really helps with my research.  I am still praying for your situation and the others.

I have the day off work today as I couldn't keep anything down last night, not even water, and feel like i weigh about 3 stone.
All I can think is if this is blighted ovum, like one of you ladies said, why are my symptoms getting stronger?
Niki I did not think to ask for the blood tests to see if they are rising, but isn't that what causes morning sickness, because of the rapidly doubling numbers?  Either way next monday I think if the hospital don't see to much on the scan I will demand that I get the bloods done, I didn't get far enough with the last pregnancy to have the second set done as I had miscarried by that time.
Lovin mum, I went on to Yahoo & typed in blighted ovum and basically looked at lots of websites, one of them said about the yolk sac means a pregnancy cannot be blighted ovum.  I'm sorry but I can't remember which, I was just relieved reading the medical info.  Also there are some postings on this site where ladies have given information to other women in my possible situation saying that their doctors have told them that a pregnancy which is possible blighted ovum would not contain the yolk sac.
I can't believe how much of a help this website has been for me and am really grateful for all of your advice which has really put my mind at ease. My dh thinks you are brilliant.
I promise I will let you know how the scan on monday goes, I'm keeping everything crossed!

Claire
http://www.amersham-health.com

some interesting facts i thought
sorry

this should take you direct to blighted ovum info

http://www.amersham-health.com/medcyclopaedia/volume%20IV%202/BLIGHTED%20OVUM.asp