Pregnancy: April 2010 Babies Community
Quad Screen test results - Positive for NTD/Brain Damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in April 2010.

Due to my age (40), my doctor wanted to do an Amnio test and we elected not to because we were afraid of the miscarriage risk.  So, the doctor then offered the Quad Screen test and we agreed to do that one. I had the Quad Screen blood test done on the 27th of October at 16 weeks and just got a phone call on Nov.4th and the nurse said the test was positive for NTD/Brain Damage.  I asked what the ratio was and she said 1/25.  They have set up an appointment for me to see a specialist for an ultrasound on the 20th of this month and then we also have the big ultrasound on the 24th with my regular doctor.

I know that the Quad Screen isn't as accurate as the Amnio but I'm extremely healthy and I wasn't expecting to get a reading like that (1/25).  Needless to say, I'm very concerned about it.  Has anyone had this kind of a result and what was the outcome?

Also, I don't understand why the doctor would send me 3 hours away for an ultrasound and then he himself do another one 4 days later?  It seems like he should be able to detect the same things as the other doctor doesn't it?
My dr told me that if you test too early sometimes people get false postitives. So he usually has his patients go later rather then sooner to avoid all the craziness/scareded un-necessary worrying. But thats all I know about these tests. I hope everything turns out okay for you!
Hi there,
Admittedly, I don't know much about the quad screen test but from what I've read it can't technically give you a "postive" for anything. It can show an elevated risk - like the ratio but it isn't really postive until you do some kind of diagnostic testing.  

At the pregnancy 35+ forum there is a woman who had a 1:13 ratio and then got the amnio to find out she was carrying a healthy baby.  As hard as it is try not to stress about it.  
Are you going to get an amnio to find out for sure or will the ultrasound be able to tell you more than you know right now?

I'm also 40.  With my first pregnancy I had some screening test.  I'm not sure if it was the quad screen or something else but it came back with an elevated risk.  I can't remember exactly the ratio.  We were so worried that we got the amnio and now have a perfectly healthy 3 year old.  With this pregnancy we just decided to skip any tests that weren't diagnostic as they tend to scare more than they help (at least I think at our age) We go in for our level II ultrasound and amnio tomorrow.  
Good luck to you and keep us posted.
Kara
Those test often give false positives. I had a false positive when I was 32 for Down Syndrome.  The amnio gives a more accurate result, but then it does carry a 1 in 200 risk for miscarriage.  In my first pregnacy the amnio proved the blood test was false.  My son was born healthy with no Downs.    

Good luck to you.
Hugs,
Athena
We got good news from the ultrasound!  No worries and a big healthy baby girl!!!!
Congrats!!! I'm glad all worked out well for you and your little princess.
I'm so happy for you!
Congrats!

I wish there was a big banner here about bad results so women do not have to freak out.

I am 41 yrs old  had 1:2 for downs, pretty much the worse one can get other than 1:1 (and even w/1:1, you can go on to a healthy baby)

The DR and everyone freaked me out and apologized as if my life was over and wisked me away to an amnio although we really did not want one.

I have a healthy baby boy coming.

Take all these tests with a grain of salt!!!