Aa
A
A
Close
GBS+ and looking for alternatives to IV antibiotics during labor. Please help.
I am due on April 24th and just tested positive for GBS. I know an IV will mean multiple panic attacks for me because I can't handle things under my skin. I am hoping there are alternatives (Google says there are however I can't find medical journal evidence to back this up). I don't want my baby to have to go through a course of IVs for 3-7 days just because I can't handle an IV. I'm hoping someone here can help me with alternatives as my OBs office isn't being cooperative.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
How about doing the alternative options to get rid of it and have them retest you later. That's going to be what I do if I test positive.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
I have 16 days until I am due. And the alternatives that I think you're talking about haven't shown any success in preventing the baby from getting sick as they are very temporary fixes
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
134578 tn?1483549754
I'd take the antibiotics.  Group B strep is very serious, can kill the baby, it seems worth some panic attacks (if they happen -- you'll be so busy during labor that you probably won't even notice the IV.  They tape them down really firmly, they don't wiggle or anything).  Ask the doctor about being able to perhaps take a Valium if you begin to have panic attacks.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.
Pregnancy: April 2016 Babies Community Resources