GBS+ and looking for alternatives to IV antibiotics during labor. Please help.
I am due on April 24th and just tested positive for GBS. I know an IV will mean multiple panic attacks for me because I can't handle things under my skin. I am hoping there are alternatives (Google says there are however I can't find medical journal evidence to back this up). I don't want my baby to have to go through a course of IVs for 3-7 days just because I can't handle an IV. I'm hoping someone here can help me with alternatives as my OBs office isn't being cooperative.
How about doing the alternative options to get rid of it and have them retest you later. That's going to be what I do if I test positive.
I have 16 days until I am due. And the alternatives that I think you're talking about haven't shown any success in preventing the baby from getting sick as they are very temporary fixes
I'd take the antibiotics.  Group B strep is very serious, can kill the baby, it seems worth some panic attacks (if they happen -- you'll be so busy during labor that you probably won't even notice the IV.  They tape them down really firmly, they don't wiggle or anything).  Ask the doctor about being able to perhaps take a Valium if you begin to have panic attacks.