Pregnancy: Feb 2009 Babies Community
Have you chosen a first food yet?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2009.

Have you chosen a first food yet?

While I know it isn't for 2 more months yet, I am getting excited thinking about feeding Lucy solids!
(doctors say to wait until 6 months before introducing solids)

http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/ask-heidi/month-3/rice-cereal.aspx?xid=nl_YourDailyNewsletterfromWhattoExpect_20090511

With my first two kids avocado was the first thing I fed them, but I am thinking of trying something different this time.

When will you feed your bub solids for the first time?
What food will you choose?
my doctor told me to  wait until 4 - 5 mths to  intro solids  but i remember feeding my  frist  rice cereal with  bananas that was there  favorite
Well, per doctors orders Sarah has been eating rice cereal in her morning and night time bottles for almost a month now....he said she was drinking WAY too much formula....so, as for her first...its already rice cereal.....not sure about what else I want to start her on when the age requirement is hit!
I think I am going to give Lucy banana.
I reckon avocado, or fresh pear....

I am going to use baby directed weaning.... she'll continue breastmilk at every feed, but then be offered finger foods.... veges, fruits, meat.... to gnaw on. :)

Will start offering her solids after 6 months / when she starts to teeth / when she is able to control pick up and dropping of objects.  

Will delay offering solids a little if she's doing ok on breastmilk alone becuase I'm worried about our family allergy history... hoping she escapes that problem..

Putting baby 4 mo. well visit forward by a week to today becuase I'm sick and need to see Dr. and might as well get two birds with 1 stone.

My doctor told me 4 months is the perfect time to start solids.  Once they look interested in what you're eating, its the best time to introduce solids.  Myra has been eating some cereal (rice) and I started to give her bananas.  She's just 3 months this past Saturday.  I just can't keep up with her breastfeeding demands =)  
Hmm I haven't even thought about that yet! Ha Ha Caiden is already interested in what we're eating! He just stares at our food when we eat, it's hilarious! We have his 4 month checkup in 3 weeks and I'm going to talk to his doctor about when we can introduce solids but haven't thought about what yet! I'm terrified of allergies! DH & I dont have any but my Mom has sooo many!
Sophia started rice cereal with a morning and evening feeding of about a tablespoon at each one via a spoon.  My doctor told me to hold off on other foods until she is 6 months. Its just two more months but I am excited about having her try carrots.  That will probably be our first food choice outside of the rice cereal.  
Logan just started cereal in the evening via spoon. Right now we will keep it like that for 2 weeks and then do twice a day 1 tablespoon as for first food i am leaning toward squash or sweet potato
I haven't started Nathan on any solids yet...we are doing awesome with the breast feeding....I wasn't expecting to go this long, with working and traveling one week a month.....but it is all working great!!  I would be so pleased at the accomplishments we made if it stops anytime now, but do not have a problem pressing on for a few more months as well....or until he bites me!!

I had read somewhere that it is best to not introduce a fruit as thier first food, but instead a vegetable or two for the first week or so...this way they are more prone to not just like the sweet flavored foods...makes sense...so I may introduce something like peas, carrots, squash....

He does watch what we eat though...so he may be getting ready soon...we'll see what comes out of the well baby appt...the earliest I could get him in was 16 June!!  Damn military drs....
Sarah has had bananas the last two nights....and she seems to be getting the consistency down now...at first...she was VERY confused. She is also stil getting rice cereal in her morning and night time bottles since she was 2.5 months old.
Mckenna is  doign  applesauce and lil  rice cereal  our doctor told us to mix and hse  seems to like it  she  gets 1/2 tablespoon at night time  and then  straight  applesauce in the  morning which she loves.
Kinlee has been eating baby food for about a month now. We started her on sweet potatoes and apple sauce and apple juice. She think the apple sauce the best. She is not a fan of green beans though. Now she is eating carrots and peachs and still apple juice. Her pedi didnt mind that we had already introduced her to foods.
jaedyn loves cereal with fruits and veggies.  the doctor said it was my choice whether to wait til 6 months or start and he seemed ready by the chart of when they are ready.  he has been eating a small little little bowl or cereal and fruits or veggies in the am and pm.  he is almost through all the fruits and veggies, we did one for 3 days straight in case he had any reactionw which luckily he did not be he does not like carrots.  he loves pears, applesuace, sweet pots, squash, bananas and peaches.  I am holding off on the greens for another week or so since all the stuff i read said save thoses til last.

Sarah doesnt seem interested nor want to eat jar stuff yet. I try bc the doctor said we can experiment, but if she doesnt want to then dont force it on her. She watches us eat intently.....and seems as though she wants to, but whatever goes in her mouth comes right back out!