Pregnancy: Feb 2009 Babies Community
Starting Solids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2009.

Starting Solids

We recently started feeding solids per the pediatricians recommendation (she is almost 5 months), but she seems to hate them so far.  We've tried rice cereal and bananas, but she doesn't seem interested.  She watches intently as we eat and appears ready otherwise....any suggestions on how to make solids more fun?
Fortunatly my baby has taken to the rice cereal very well.  From what I've read, you should try and feed them when their not starving.  So I feed her about 1-2 oz of formula, then some rice cereal, then she finishes her bottle.  Make sure there aren't any distractions either. I did read somewhere, that babies don't have to start out on the rice cereal, that they could be started on baby food right away.  So maybe you could try the other foods?  She could just not be ready.  What does she do when you try and feed her?

there is no need to start solids yet.  the WHO says breast milk or formula up to 6 months as a general guideline. It is quite ok not to start solids to 6 or 7 months or even later.  She will be interested when she is ready.

NO hurry.  Had a big discussion about this with my pediatrician yesterday and we're not even going to try Michaela on solids until 7 months.

You start slowly with solids anyway.  Just a teaspoon at a time.  Milk is still her main food.

HOpe this helps.
if you want to start her try mixing in more of her formula and make it more on the watery side at first so it still tastes like forumla and has a thinner texture and then as she gets used to it thicken it up.