Pregnancy: Feb 2009 Babies Community
kick counts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2009.

kick counts

So my OB has asked me to start doing kick counts three times a day. I didn't think it was a big deal but I never had to do them with my first pregnancy. Anyways the sheet says to do it at the same time everyday at the babies most active time of day and if there are less than 10 kicks (twists, turns rolls ect..) in two hours you are supposed to call your physician and/or report to the ER.  Does anyone else do this and how accurate can it be? When the boys are active I can get 10 kicks in 5 minutes but on their down days it takes long and is slowly starting to stress me out. I was just wondering how many times women did this and ended up in the ER only to be told everything is fine anyways??? Also because I have two in there I truly have no idea who is kicking when and the other day I swear I felt kicks on my left side only which to mean would be Ethan because that is the side he is on - I got all nervous and finally decided to go to sleep only to be kept awake half the night from Alexander's kicking - he decided to wake up I guess but the two hours had elapsed already and I got 10 for sure from Ethan and nothing from Alex as far as I could tell. Needless to say i feel awful because I am not keeping track like I should be but I feel as though it is only going to stress me out. With my first I never felt him kick until I went to bed at night as I was working and on the go and I can't imagine if I had to try and do kick counts with him I think I would of ended up in the ER every other day. I was just wondering if anyone knew of or truly felt they had been "saved" by kick counts for their baby. I know if I feel something is wrong I will call or go in but I don't want to be the pregnant lady who cried wolf all the time because for whatever reason the time I choose to count is a time when they decide to be still. Thoughts anyone???
Well, first of all I would NOT stress over it..there is no reason too.  As long as you are feeling movement, then they are fine!!  I notice that my son kicks a lot at night!!  Yeah!!  I also noticed that if I am sitting around being lazy or laying on the couch is when he kicks as well....I guess us being active, keeps them asleep.  Also, when I ate something sweet, like Pecan pie over the Holidays, and then layed on the couch....he was all over the place!!  

My two cents.... I reckon the kick counting per se is not so critical as being aware of their normal activity, then if they are not following their normal activity pattern you need to take extra notice.  Not good stressing yourself out over this.

They reckon one way to get the babies moving is to drink a glass of ice-cold water (guess it hits them too), to make sure they're awake and then count the kicks for a bit. Another way as SARgirl said is to eat something sweet.  My baby gets very active after I eat.  Also if I poke her (gently of course :) she also moves.

As they get bigger and the room gets less you may feel less kicking.  That's normal.  

iv been doing it since about 24 weeks i only do it once a day but normaly feel 10 kicks in 10 mins or so, dont worry about it, if you dont feel 10 kicks in  hours just call the emergancy dr or normal drs depending on the time of day and they will advise you what to do!
Thanks ladies that it was I figured would be best. I am pretty intune to their routine and they seem to alternate between a few active days followed by one or two quiet days so I didn't see the need to put additional stress in there just didn't want to feel like a neglectful patient either but I am glad others feel the same way!!!
i go to the doctors tomorrow and will ask about kicks counts and what is low average, average, and high average.

i am just like most of you, i feel my little guy all day but i feel him more if i am sitting rtaher than walking around of being active and more about a half an hour after i eat.
i think as long as you feel them then its ok when i went to hospital they always ask "have you felt baby moving" and they said that if you feel no movment in 12 hours then you can worry, but there little people there gonna have busy days and lazy days, dont stress, theres so much to cope with while your pregnant like eating and what you can and cant do and worrying about the babys health its so stressful! but then agen i gess your children are gonna always make you worry over things its part of being a mummy x