Pregnancy: Feb 2013 Babies Community
obgyn or widwife?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in February 2013.

obgyn or widwife?

Just curious what you ladies would suggest. I really don't want a rushed labor and I've heard that a midwife is more personal, but can I still have an epidural with a widwife?
This is a c&p of my journal, I hope it helps.

So I was reading on another forum on another site and I saw a discussion that bothered me because people seemed so harsh & had such strong opinions they either bashed midwives of obs & made the other members feel like cr*p if their opinion differed.  So here is my vent..lol

OB's & midwives both have the good & the bad, I have heard wonderful storeis about each, & I have heard horrific stories for each as well.  

I would suggest for first time mothers if they want the midwive experience to do it in a hospital or birthing center, where an OBs doc can be consulted if anything were to come up to cause alarm. Becasue first time mothers tend to have more complications, then 2nd or 3rd..ect time moms.  (although this is not always the case things can go down hill for 2nd, 3rd, ect timers too)

I am all for the natural med free birth if people chose & I am also all for epidural labors as well.  I think it should all go by what the mom wants, and people should support her decison. The thing I dont agree with is bashing OBs or midwives because of your own personal belief.  

Labor & delivery is a natural expereince but there are so many things that can go wrong for mom & baby, or it can go perfectly. The thing that concerns me is in SOME cases midwives tend to be more focused on the mothers experience than how the baby is handling the experience. This is not true in all cases but I have expereinced this, & have seen.heard of some tragedys that could have been prevented. Please be aware that doulas can offer a great benefit as well but please note they have NO medical training and should not be consulted re: medical decisions. I have heard of a situation in my area from a relaiable source that a doula was the only one there for a women & her baby died due to shoulder dystocia, the mom did not know the doula was not medically trained.  Most doulas are very honest & wonderful supports but make sure you ask questions about credentials.

Just be sure to let whom ever you chose your wishes re: your expereince, and let them know what you are willing to do & not willing to do AFTER LEARNING all the risks/benefits.  Please please be flexable with birth plans, they should be more looked at like a guidline then set in stone...that way you won't be disappointed.  

I hope no one was offended by this response I certainly did not intend that, I just wanted to give options and maybe a new insight to some.

I wish all the expectant moms a very happy & healthy pregnany & a wonderful birth experience!

I welcome responses but please be respectful to others. Thanks so much!

If you have a hospital delivery with a midwife there really should be no reason why you cant have an epidural, but if you get a midwife ask her opinion on it some are anti pain meds & would not be supportive of your choice.

Hope this helps!
I was still able to go with an epidural with  a midwife and I must say I loved it!
Thank you so much ladies. I'm very excited and pretty open minded I just want a happy healthy baby and for things to go as smoothly as possible :)