Pregnancy: Jan 2009 Babies Community
Can baby feel pain in the womb?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in January 2009.

Can baby feel pain in the womb?

Just wanted to know because my baby has hydronephrosis and I was wondering if the baby can feel pain...
oh I am so sorry to hear that, what did the doctor tell you?????? is that going to affect your baby?????
I wish the best for both you and your baby, I hope your baby isnt feeling anything.
That is a good question. From what I understand, hydronephrosis is a kidney blockage due to a blocked or narrow ureter (pee tube). Unfortunately, there is no cut and dry answer. Some people would say yes that they feel pain. I would think that once the nervous system is fully developed that it is quite possible that the baby does. Around week 18 is when the babies nervous system is developed enough for movement and it just tends to get stronger from there (baby movement that is). However, baby is so well cushioned that it is unlikely to feel pain from the outside. I would assume that your doctor is keeping a close eye on you. Be sure to keep up with your kick counts. If there is any sign that you have decreased activity, I would contact your OB. I would also request that they monitor the baby at each of your OB appointments for fetal distress. Any sign of fetal distress and you may consider at the OB's recommendation or for the well-being of baby to induce labor or continue to a c-section that is if you are far enough along that it will not hurt baby even more.