Pregnancy: June 2009 Babies Community
37 weeks - 1 fingertip dilated??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in June 2009.

37 weeks - 1 fingertip dilated??

I went to my OB today for my 37 weeks checkup and she checked for the first time to see if I'm dilated at all as I have gestational diabetes and hypertension and will need to be induced around 39 weeks. She frowned and told me I was one fingertip (1 cm) dilated and said if we were to induce now, for instance, there'd be a 90% failure rate.I have two weeks until induction so I have time to dilate....but

Is 1 cm dilated at 37 weeks normal? Anyone else have an exam around this point and how far dilated were you?? She told me I could try going for long walks -- I already take walks for my diabetes but will be sure to take some more. Any other tricks??

Need encouragement!  Thanks ladies : / Heather
At my last appointment at 37 weeks +5 days the doctor told me I was 1 cm dilated. But when I looked in my "Mutterpass", which is a book that contains all my pregnancy medical information and that all pregnant women carry around with them in Germany the nurse wrote I was dilated 2 cm. Since my doctor is on holidays my next appointment is at 39 weeks + 3 days. I still have not "dropped" yet so I expect I will not deliver this week-end, but my baby is "big" (around 8lbs) so I am a bit worried.

Technically on average most first time mothers delivery around 40 weeks but I do not know how true this really is. I have not really done any research into this.

I find walking getting harder as I am getting swelling now in my legs and hands but swimming is helping. My body is having a hard time adjusting to the plus 20kg weight gain. Sorry I do not know any "tricks" maybe others can help both of us. My due date is June 19.
I'm due June 24th and just got back from my 38 week check up and am also 1cm dilated and have been since my 36 week check up so no progress in the past two weeks which is also discouraging.
I am going to start to try more walking to see if we can get things moving.  But in short I think this is pretty normal.
i havent been checked at all im due in 12days and havent been told anything like this
i just got out of hospital too because bubs heart was racing
can they not induce unless ur dialated? i never knew that they were thinking they may have to last nite im glad they didnt have too
I don't know if you have to be dilated at all before induction - but I assume they'd prefer you to be a little bit to increase the chances of it working? I really am clueless! My doctor has told me I'm being induced at 39 weeks - she checked me at 37 weeks and she told me that she may or may not bother checking me at my 38 week checkup on Wednesday. Who knows.
I'm doing squats and taking lots of walks throughout the day -- both for dilation and for my blood sugar. Hopefully it helps!
Check out babycenter.com and search -  induction labor. They give a good explaination about what can be used for induction and this depends on whether the cervix is "ripe" or not. From what I understand, if the cervix is not dilated or softened than manually stimulation and/or prostagladins are used but  if all is o.k then oxytocin is used. Well at least now if I have to be induced I can discuss what procedure I perfer to help with a more "natural" induction as I am not a fan of using oxytocin. I guess I do not like the idea of oxytocin possibly causing intense and double contractions. But I guess this can happen without oxytocin too. I "only" have 7 more days so I guess I am getting antsy especially since the baby still has not dropped. I will find out more Monday.